New version of .Mac soon - it looks like it

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by amac4me, Apr 28, 2005.

1. amac4me macrumors 65816

Apr 26, 2005
    Appleinsider is reporting that Apple will be releasing a new version of .Mac very soon called .Mac 3.0 to go along with the release of Tiger.

The prices will be (US)$179.95 for a family 5 pack or (US)$95.95 for a single. I currently have my current .Mac subscription until August. Does anyone know if Apple will offer an upgrade program at at lower price?

It also says that Apple will be phasing out the "current" Virex in .Mac 3.0 because it's not compatible with Tiger
  2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

Oct 4, 2003
    New York

I sure hope so. I purchased .Mac like 3 months ago!

I guess i'd be willing to pay $30 to $40 for an upgrade. What about you?
  3. amac4me thread starter macrumors 65816

Apr 26, 2005
    Yeah, I don't want to have to pay full price. The upgrade to Tiger is turning out more expensive than most people realize - Tiger, .Mac etc!!
  4. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    If this is true, then I can't wait! .Mac updates are always good...

And I got mine only a month ago, I really doubt Apple'll charge you again for the upgrade, I think if you're already a member, you're automatically upgraded.
  5. amac4me thread starter macrumors 65816

Apr 26, 2005
    I hope so!

I hope we get a free upgrade to the new version. I don't think I'll shell out another $99 for .Mac
  6. molcas&e'sdad macrumors member

Sep 15, 2003
  7. Xenious macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    Texas, USA
    Ok this makes me I need to worry about uninstalling Virex when I install tiger?
  8. amac4me thread starter macrumors 65816

Apr 26, 2005
    New features

Well, the article states the following:

"The new version will also debut with a plethora fresh templates for use with .Mac's hompage feature, including new templates for photo album and iMovies pages. Meanwhile, the .Mac Learning Center will reportedly gain several new training modules on Tiger, iLife and iWork.

Along with the release of the new service, sources said Apple will begin to phase out support for the currently featured Virex anti-virus software, which is not yet compatible with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. However, the company will continue to allow downloads of the software for Mac OS X 10.3 Panther users.

Sources said .Mac members should also expect an innovative new launch page, which will provide direct access to many of .Mac's features. The new start page will reportedly sport a three column layout with personalized content areas on the left, features in the center, and promotions on the far right."
  9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    When new features have been rolled out in the past all existing subscribers have got them automatically for free. .Mac is a subscription service so this is to be expected: you are paying to subscribe to .Mac, no matter what version it is. You will still have to pay full price to renew your subscription when it runs out as normal (although I seem to remember slight discounts on renewal in the past, I could be wrong on that one).
  10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    I'm curious about how these changes will affect users like me that upgraded their .Mac storage space, if at all.

I fully support a better .Mac service!