New Version of Microsoft Office for Mac Slated for 2014 Release

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 11, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Microsoft is planning to introduce an updated version of its Office productivity suite for the Mac in 2014, according to Thorsten Hübschen, Business Group Lead at Microsoft Germany, who gave Computerwoche (via Macworld) the news at the Cebit trade fair in Hanover.

[​IMG]
    While there's little information available on a possible release date, Hübschen said more news on the product should come during the second quarter of 2014. Microsoft's current Office software for the Mac was released more than three years ago in October of 2010.
    Microsoft originally had plans to release Office for Mac in the spring of 2014, but it appears the company will miss that timeline, instead planning for a release later in the year. According to a representative from Microsoft, the company is indeed working on the next version of Office for Mac.
    The company is also said to be working on an iPad version of Office, but it remains unclear when that app might arrive.

Article Link: New Version of Microsoft Office for Mac Slated for 2014 Release

2. macrumors member

Not for iPad? :( I hope they fix the formatting issues I have at my office. Whenever a colleague opens a word doc on their windows PC that I made on my mac the fonts and formatting is all over the place. grrrr

3. macrumors 6502

I would imagine the iOS apps will be released at the same time.

4. macrumors regular

OneNote for Mac PLEASE!

5. Guest

keterboy

Dont know about you guys but im SO tired of Microsoft's products...

#msannoying

6. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I'm sure Microsoft will wait until just after their TechNet program finally expires before releasing a new version of Office for the Mac ;)

7. macrumors member

Wish they'd fix full screen mode on Word 2011. Seems to be a 50/50 chance of documents opening on top of each other when using it.

8. Guest

Sky Blue

Hope the Mac version has some basic feature parity with the Windows version of Outlook this time.

Also, support for 10.9 features (Notification Center etc.)

9. macrumors 601

I don't care about MS Office as much as I used to. Maybe because most of what is done in the business world today doesn't necessarily require using Microsoft's software. Today my entire office is happily Microsoft-free. :)

10. macrumors 6502a

MasterHowl

In my experience, MS Office for Mac is a very poor piece of Software.

It comes with so much bloat (all I really want is Word, PowerPoint and Excel!) and it's extremely slow and laggy. It crashes all the time, takes forever to load files, and just doesn't seem like the usual polished "Mac app".

I hope this version is better! (Saying that, the only part of MSO I use is Excel)

11. macrumors member

Southshore

Pricing

I hope it's less than $30. Or maybe free, they can always load it on to every surface they sell.

12. macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

What, Microsoft miss a release date :eek:

13. macrumors newbie

There must be a bug in Safari

It says there is no word "Cloud" in this page.

14. macrumors member

Wish I could say the same! Good on ya.

15. macrumors regular

who even buys this junk ?

worst software on the planet

16. macrumors 601

LagunaSol

But everyone said businesses can only function with Microsoft Office? :confused:

17. macrumors 65816

OldSchoolMacGuy

Will it beach ball when you copy things in Excel like the current version does on all Mac hardware?

Or a version of Outlook for Mac that supports things like a full calendar and sync instead of having to manage it using the Apple Calendar.

18. macrumors regular

I deleted Office for Mac 2011 a few months back. So far it has been the smartest move I have made with my Air since I bought it in 2011.

19. macrumors newbie

Don't care very much, I use iWork & LaTeX

20. macrumors 6502a

I just hope they include OneNote and Access.

21. macrumors 6502a

phillytim

And what did you replace it with?

----------

What did you guys replace it with?

22. macrumors 65816

MacSince1990

Whoopdie doo. 2004 still works fine. Hell, 2001 was fine.

23. macrumors 6502a

PDF my friend. I told my professors because I was docked for format errors, I would no longer be providing them a doc format because it was produced on office 2007 but they opened it on 2010. So MS's own fault.

Save as a pdf and lock that crap in. Same thing for business use. At least for use I've experienced before is that if it's going to a client, it's PDF. If it's within the office, whatever program your using since the whole company is going to have that.

24. macrumors 65816

wish my past workplace wasnt so microsoft centric.

what do you use instead?

25. macrumors member

lol only on this forum would meaningless hate-for-non-Apple-company be so popular.

I'm a huge user of Apple products, but have you tried to use Numbers? I know they're re-adding functionality over time, but to use it now for anything even remotely professional is a waste of time. In this case you get what you pay for.