New Version of Office for Mac????

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xappeal, Sep 9, 2006.

1. xappeal macrumors regular

Dec 9, 2005
    Brisbane - Australia
    Ok. So Apple said that "most critical apps will be availible by september" Adobe doesn't look like UBs of photoshop will be ready for anything more than a demo.:mad:

How about Office?? Microsoft's discount promotion on office ends on september 12th, coincidence? Isn't that when Apple Expo opens??

I know they have said it won't be ready for a while, but I'm expecting a surprise from Microsoft at Apple Expo.;)

What do you think?
  2. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Microsoft have said that the Windows and Mac versions won't be simultaneous. I'd be very surprised if that means the Mac version will come out first.

Edit: Please read this thread too.
  3. xappeal thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 9, 2005
    Brisbane - Australia
    I know, The main reason that I never thought of it before was because office for Mac already had more features than the windows version.... in some ways, sure there are problems.

But in other ways, there are less apps to release and less configurations to test with.
  4. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    Microsoft releases new version of Office for Mac every three years.

1998: Office 98.
    2001: Office 2001 and the first OS X version: Office V.x
    2004: Office 2004
    2007: ? (Highly likely a new version will be released).

I'd be willing to bet that Office 2007 for Mac will be available before Vista.
  5. xappeal thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 9, 2005
    Brisbane - Australia
    Plus now you have a little bit of an extra push from Apple, the discontinuing of Virtual PC, the stagnation of Messenger.... Office is really all Microsoft are doing for the platform other than keyboards and the occasional two button mouse.

Why else would they choose a Tuesday to end a promotion?? Seriously.
  6. jackc macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2003
    I thought Office for Mac would be significantly lagging behind the Windows version. I don't think we'll see it for a while.
  7. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    The OP's question gets asked a lot, but the answer is always the same. Microsoft has been as clear on this issue as it has been on anything Mac-related. The next version of Office:win is scheduled to be released in 2007 around the same time that Vista is supposed to hit the shelves. The next version of Office:mac will come sometime later. From everything that Microsoft has said, it will be much later. For a decade now, Microsoft has released its Mac version of Office about a year after the Windows version. In the most optimisitc scenario, you should expect the next version of Office:mac in 2008.
  8. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    If they would just release a UB of Office 2004 I'd be a happy camper. Otherwise I'll just wait for iWork to get a spreadsheet app. I paid $20 for Office:mac in the Home Use program.... never would have bought it full price.
  9. weg macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2004
    If you consider the lack of animation (using paths) in Powerpoint a feature..
  10. xappeal thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 9, 2005
    Brisbane - Australia
    I said it only has more features in some ways. At least quote the whole line. PowerPoint is irrelevant really as most Mac users would prefer keynote.

I understand everyones argument for why it is unlikely that Microsoft would have anything to announce, and basicly I agree. The whole point of the thread was to highlight three things

1. Apple made a clear statement that "most critical apps" will be universal binary by september. If the most critical apps aren't a new version of CS (which seems likely to be a demo) my next best guess would be office (as it is critical to almost all switchers)

2. Microsoft's promotion finishes on the opening day of Apple expo. Not really that big a deal, but interesting.

3. Office for Mac is a cash cow, sure nowhere near in the league of their other big PC products but it sells like hotcakes to the Mac population, especially switchers. Plus they had a perfectly profitable application with virtual pc, only to see this dissapear to fresh companies like parallels, why risk arriving late.

Virtual PC which was included in the professional edition is discontinued, I doubt messenger is even under development for a much improved version. Couple that with the lack of GUI improvements you would be likely to see compared to the 2003 - 2007 change in the pc world. Office has become a smaller development task for the Mac.

I understand why it is unlikely a new version will be out soon. I'm not even waiting for it as 2004 works fine and is covered by our Microsoft agreement at work. Somewhere inside me something keeps telling me we are in for a surprise as far as big selling osx apps go.