New versus Used?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by bhrose, Jun 7, 2005.

1. bhrose Guest

Jun 7, 2005
    I've read through other posts and seen the disadvantages of buying used: lack of warranty, shorter battery life, it doesn't have the new Apple smell. Just joking. But, as a PC user and a business major, how much are these things really worth in terms of dollars?

My dillemma is that I want a new powerbook. I'm looking at the 12" with SuperDrive, and after the Educational Discount it comes to $1400. Good deal. However, a friend wants to sell me his older revision powerbook. It's a 15" powerbook g4 1.25ghz for $1300. It has all the same specs: 512 ram, 80gig hd, superdrive, airport, bluetooth.

So now, how much does the lack of battery or warranty really mean? Is this still a good deal? I'd like to make movies with this, and so the bigger screen is a major plus. But, it's 1.25ghz and 2-years-old. Any thoughts?

Thank you very much.
  2. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    could always get a new battery, but the warrenty is big for laptops
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    The lack of warranty you can cost out for yourself by investigating Applecare.

In general, you don't want to pay more than 70% of price of the most similar new machine. Better to be around 60%.

Portables are much more expensive to fix than desktops, and are more subject to abuse.
  4. bhrose thread starter Guest

Jun 7, 2005

How long after buying a laptop can you purchase Applecare? I thought it was only 1 year after the original warranty was up. In this case, the powerbook is a 1.25ghz from 2003. Am I still able to buy Applecare in this situation?
  5. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    AppleCare must be purchased within 1 year of computer purchase.