Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
The latest rumors are that it's not 'emerging markets' but rather China Mobile specifically. They use, it seems, a very unique form of CDMA that everyone else dropped support for ages ago (sort of like the whole thing with T-mobile in the US). So Apple would have to make a phone just for them and this is that phone. Opening up something like half a billion potential sales.

There is no way Apple is going to limit the iPhone 5C to just China or emerging markets. This phone will go on sale worldwide from day one.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
It seems iOS 7 is looking uglier every day. Bring Forstall back, he must save the company.
This is not gonna end well.

mizaco

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2013
Booooorrrriiinnnngggg.....

I already have a silver shiny iPhone that can do absolutely everything this thing can and it doesn't look as ugly of feel cheap.

So why on earth would anyone care about this anymore?

iPhone is old now. It's losing it's heat. I used to be the biggest apple advocate but every year it just gets less and less exciting while the others push as hard as they can go give you useful features cheap. And their polish has finally caught up.

Icculus

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Frisco, TX
It seems iOS 7 is looking uglier every day. Bring Forstall back, he must save the company.
This is not gonna end well.

No, Forstall is NOT the savior for this company.

I have to ask are you a developer, a guy who just runs iOS 7, or someone not even running it?

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
I'd get the Champagne 5S if it came in gold and black to match my gold and black Razr V3xx. But Champagne and white? I'll pass.

thebeans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2009
Sim

I can't help it but think the same. I looked at the photo over and over, and it just looks like iPhone 5 in a blue case!!

Except for the SIM card slot. A case would not have that. Also, it looks too thin to be cased.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
There is no way Apple is going to limit the iPhone 5C to just China or emerging markets. This phone will go on sale worldwide from day one.

Definitely worldwide, but I'm guessing China gets it on launch day/weekend. Maybe even first due to time zone differences. There have just been too many leaks of the 5C as compared to very few of the far more interesting 5S. That makes me think that beyond just the manufacturing plants there are a ton of 5Cs running around China at this point. Maybe all the 5S's come to US while the 5Cs come to both places with a huge number going to China.

Think of the PR triumph if China Mobile can be the first place in the world to buy a 5C on launch day. They would have to be able to sell both, but in practice the 5S might end up being very supply constrained while the bulk of those initially go to US.

If there is any supply constraint in China there is going to be massive scalping issues. I doubt scalping issues will be avoidable in any case. But Apple and China want to avoid literal bloodshed. And they want normal folks to have at least some chance of buying the phone from Apple at Apple's price during the first weekend. It is going to take a huge amount of supply (i.e., several million available on launch day) to make that happen.

juanmanas

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
After using iO7 on a test unit the only thing I'll be getting will be a Samsung S4!

The new iOS only brings Apple up to date with android and if you call colouring every thing white, which, looks shocking on the black phone innovation, you'll be happy.

Several updated versions on the iOS are just meh! including thenew way you choose/scroll through dates etc.

Sorry peeps

So you think that Iphone is outdated and boring. Still you come to iphone forums to write.

There are basically two options about your personality:

a) You are sad.
b) Idem.

----------

I sold my iPhone 5 and got Galaxy S4 when it came out thinking I'd give Android a try. Oh boy was I wrong. The S4 gave me nothing but trouble. Let me give you some examples. The proximity sensor works only half of the time. When I bring the phone up to my face half of the time the screen doesn't turn black. I have to push the wake/sleep button to sleep the screen. The phone doesn't respond for 10 seconds after I unplug it from the charger. I can't even answer calls. I bought an 64GB SD card but it doesn't work well with the phone. Every time when I take a photo and view it in the gallery, the card unmounts itself. After searching the Android forums it turns out many are having the same problems. Their solutions? 1) buy a new card, 2) flash the rom, or 3) get another app to view the photos. Brilliant. I use my phone the same way as I did with my iPhone but the S4 couldn't last a day where the iPhone could easily.

What I want to say is if you really want to switch, go with another manufacturer. Never buy Samsung again. I'll be preordering the iPhone 5S on day one.

I was given a S4 at work. The experience could not be worst. I don't even know how there can be a debate out there of IOS Vs Android.

xensaenigma

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2013
So you think that Iphone is outdated and boring. Still you come to iphone forums to write.

There are basically two options about your personality:

a) You are sad.
b) Idem.

----------

I was given a S4 at work. The experience could not be worst. I don't even know how there can be a debate out there of IOS Vs Android.

Android is a cheap imitation of iOS. I've tried some of the Samsung phones and they are quite nasty. I don't understand the debate, either.

Macinva

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
After using iO7 on a test unit the only thing I'll be getting will be a Samsung S4!

The new iOS only brings Apple up to date with android and if you call colouring every thing white, which, looks shocking on the black phone innovation, you'll be happy.

Several updated versions on the iOS are just meh! including thenew way you choose/scroll through dates etc.

Sorry peeps

Cya!

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I wonder what impact the 5C will have on the second hand value of 5's for those of us who are intending to sell our 5's to buy 5S's?

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010

Bingo! There's a use case for a less expensive, new iPhone worldwide. There's no way Apple's going to keep ceding marketshare to Android for people in the market to spend less on a smartphone.

People forget that the iPhone 4S is two years old now -- which is ancient in the rapidly evolving smartphone space. Sure, it still performs well for the most part (a testament to Apple's solid design and thoughtful choices with respect to the internals); but it's from the "iPhone 4 style" era and I'm sure Apple would like to have a lower cost iPhone available worldwide that's in line with the "iPhone 5 style" -- hence we have the iPhone 5C. That's my thinking, anyway.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Decontented? Do you have insider news that you're not sharing.? From everything I've heard (grain of salt-because rumor) the 5C is basically an iPhone 5 in a poly-carbonate body. If that is the case, wheres the decontenting? Fingerprint sensor/NFC?

I am not an iPhone user so I don't have any skin in the game. Wife and daughter though, that's a different story. As an observer, if my daughter can get the same basic functionality as my wife (iP5) in a poly shell, what's not to like?:confused:

To answer your question: Decontented - nope. iP5 in poly shell - kid will be getting one. (Contingent on availability in US of course)

No insider information here; I meant "decontented" from the standpoint that other than the polycarbonate body, it's likely missing iPhone 5S features to one degree or another..

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I like the blue and am ready for a larger phone. My 4s is only 14 months old but if the price is around $400, it will be hard to resist.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Champagne 5S, for the win, have had white & black! :D With iOS 7 feeling like new, it's the beginning of a new iPhone era for me.

I guess I meant finally these stupid leaks and all the guessing will end.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Maybe you're thinking of the infinite improbability drive which can turn two nukes into an innocent sperm whale and a bowl of petunias?

pretty sure he was referencing star trek. not sure what you are referencing though.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I wonder what impact the 5C will have on the second hand value of 5's for those of us who are intending to sell our 5's to buy 5S's?

I think you'll be ok in the first few weeks. The people buying your 5 won't know the internals of the 5C, and they'll judge only by the plastic casing.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Definitely worldwide, but I'm guessing China gets it on launch day/weekend. Maybe even first due to time zone differences. There have just been too many leaks of the 5C as compared to very few of the far more interesting 5S. That makes me think that beyond just the manufacturing plants there are a ton of 5Cs running around China at this point. Maybe all the 5S's come to US while the 5Cs come to both places with a huge number going to China.

Think of the PR triumph if China Mobile can be the first place in the world to buy a 5C on launch day. They would have to be able to sell both, but in practice the 5S might end up being very supply constrained while the bulk of those initially go to US.

If there is any supply constraint in China there is going to be massive scalping issues. I doubt scalping issues will be avoidable in any case. But Apple and China want to avoid literal bloodshed. And they want normal folks to have at least some chance of buying the phone from Apple at Apple's price during the first weekend. It is going to take a huge amount of supply (i.e., several million available on launch day) to make that happen.

Bloomberg claims a deal hasn't been finalized. Other rumors suggest China Mobile wouldn't get iPhone until November because of regulatory approvals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.