Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stephenli

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
SHARP chip, SHARP LCD Please

Please! Please equip with a SHARP Mobile ASV display also
Just like the one used by SHARP LCD TV and PSP!

steebu

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2005
shhh...

dock, "dvi out", small screen, scrub, drm, mega storage, so so battery life away from dock, whole new gui, bluetooth remote

portable movies. imagine docking it to a friends dock+home theatre setup and watching your newest acquisition from the i_______ store, a movie of your vacation, or something from your dvd collection ripped in i________ and encoded in h264+drm

the "mac mini" is also involved.

its meant to cut out dvd's from the equation, but only to an extent when image quality suffers because of encoding.

LGRW3919

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2005
cupertino (no joke)
I wouldn't say no to an iPod that plays video, but by no means would i be buying the iPod exclusively for video. It'd be fun to have, show a few clips here and there, but not to watch full length movies

mlrproducts

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2004
Well I'm no genius, and I haven't read the whole thread because I'm lazy,

but what about HD? I mean, in the next few years all TVs are supposed to be HD. And from what I just read on /. about HD-DVDs require HDMI, then this vidPod better have all those.

petej

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2004
A lot of comments focus on HD movies and download times. I see a slightly different use for the iPod and more in keeping with it's original design...
The most frustrating thing about renting videos/DVD's from your local rental store is the mulling around trying to find what you want that is actually in store and then the inconvenience of taking the film back afterwards. What I would love to be able to do is to browse for films in the comfort of my home, build up a list of 10 or so that I want to rent. Instead of downloading these films from the net, I wander down to my local store, plug my iPod into their server and transfer all the videos I have selected on my iPod. I then wander home plug my iPod into a box under the TV and view the films whenever I want ( assuming a view 2 or 3 times restriction ) and then delete them.

As for the video iPod / tablet, I think these are one and the same thing, a media viewing device to read books, watch films, view TV would be pretty cool if it was a touch screen device.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
I'd like to see a poll of how many people think a video ipod would be useful. I personally would only get one if it included all the functionality of my current Pocket PC, including compatibility with medical software like Epocrates. If it is just like my current ipod but plays video, or if it has a larger display without robust PDA functionality, count me out.

westvleteren

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Sweden
Yes!

amin said:
I'd like to see a poll of how many people think a video ipod would be useful. I personally would only get one if it included all the functionality of my current Pocket PC, including compatibility with medical software like Epocrates. If it is just like my current ipod but plays video, or if it has a larger display without robust PDA functionality, count me out.

I would definitely get one for watching podcasted versions of news, tech shows, Discovery, sitcoms, etc., i.e., anything that can be "consumed" in pieces. I rarely sit in front of a tv, but for the commute, coffee break, boring meeting and what-have-you, I'd love to have the possibility to watch shows that are aired at inconvenient hours. Obviously, the iPod should "automatically" be updated with the latest versions of the shows. With DVB-(H) coming to "all" phones within a year or so, maybe news won't be a big deal, but there is still plenty of ("time-independent") content that would fit the iPod format. A credit-card-sized display with decent resolution (HD/2?) "held" at 1.5-2' from the eyes would be OK for me.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
paperinacup said:
A video iPod is a WASTE of money. Who wants to sit there and stare at that small screen. My cell phone screen is twice the size and that would be annoying. They would also have to up the resolution of the screen from 176x220.

I'm convinced it will be a different form factor than the iPod and that Apple will market it as another brand extension:

iPod shuffle > iPod mini > iPod > iPod U2 > iPod video

Particularly since the iPod U2 was initially branded the U2 iPod Special Edition. (BTW, I'm surprised there hasn't been another special edition. Dave Matthews Band?)

iMan

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Screen?

How about, instead of a big screen, the vidpod will use retina projection - i.e. you put on your goggles and there you are - in the middle of the frigging movie. That would be cool!

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Fabio_gsilva said:
Is the PSP really good? I've never saw one live, im my hands. Worth the price?? Maybe it's something very cool, but, I know it's my humble opinion, but this kind of device may avoid people to know each other, to talk more, to establish friendship...

Well, forget about it, i think I'm not good today... hehehe! :D

PSP are very good. The screen is absolutely beautiful... just let down by poor build quality - if you are unlikely ( which is quite likely ) you'll have one or more bad pixels.

I wouldn't watch movies on my PSP normally, but on a Plane or train? Very possible.

Video iPod - you may not necessarily have to watch a movie on quite a small screen. This is the thing people FORGET - the current iPods allow you to see your photos on your TV via RCA cables.. there is no reason why you can't have the option to watch movies on your TV being played off your iPod.

Why not just use a DVD? You don't have to carry around DVDs, just like you don't have to carry around music CDs.. also to play your home movies from your camcorder.

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
Apple's core is "Think Different". The company has made several moves that initially were confounding or frustrating for some users, but ended up being brilliantly successful.

While there currently isn't a vocal demand of movie players on-the-go, there certainly is the beginning of a healthy market for such. Think: DVD players in autos; portable widescreen DVD players. Granted both of those types of devices use the actual media. But I think it was Apple who, as a digital music market began to form, announced a device that would let you "take your entire music library with you".

Yes, there are still questions about how encoding will be accelerated, because right now H.264 or the other methods are still tedious. But, Apple has been making moves with the availability of music videos in the iTMS. The iPod made the move from showing track info to showing album art. Still (well... scrolling) Monochrome to still Color. What would be a logical next step, even if it requires you to Think Different?

ioinc

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Clearwater, Florida
petej said:
What I would love to be able to do is to browse for films in the comfort of my home, build up a list of 10 or so that I want to rent. Instead of downloading these films from the net, I wander down to my local store, plug my iPod into their server and transfer all the videos I have selected on my iPod. I then wander home plug my iPod into a box under the TV and view the films whenever I want ( assuming a view 2 or 3 times restriction ) and then delete them.

Why not just download them onto your computer?

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
Think out of the box for a moment

Why is it that everyone thinks Video iPod they assume it's going to be a movie device? Let's think consumer market for a moment and the biggest complaints people have with cell phones, PDA's etc. What does everyone want to do with those devices? Connect to the web and chat and have an experience equal to the experience they have on their computer while surfing the web.

Alright, the geeks are thinking, but I can do that with a laptop. But a laptop is overkill for the average consumer, why do they need a 2nd computer. But what if Apple is working on a new device, not a Pocket PC, but something dedicated to surfing the web, checking e-mail and chatting only, with built in WiFi and Bluetooth. All of the pieces are already there, Safari, iChat and Mail. And there is still inkwell too.

That's all everyone with a PSP has been trying to do. Yes the chip will need to MPEG-4 compatible, because that the future. But that's just a piece of the puzzle.

Also Apple could create a new site similar to the iTunes Music store which will have dedicated content and a subscription service for WiFi access.

Whatever

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
bloogersnigen said:
that would be awesome for even the photo iPod

i don't think the iPod Photo needs to have such a wide screen...and if thats the case, it's gonna be bulkly...

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
LGRW3919 said:
I wouldn't say no to an iPod that plays video, but by no means would i be buying the iPod exclusively for video. It'd be fun to have, show a few clips here and there, but not to watch full length movies

Which is how most people probably view video capability, and Apple knows this. They're not going to sacrifice the current iPod form factor for video.

The main point of the iPod video is not to convince people to buy it instead of a regular iPod, but to convince people to buy an iPod vs. another company's portable player (especially later when the video capability is in all the iPods.)

BenJolene

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2005
New York, NY
vPod = "Professional" iPod?

With the introduction of a video iPod, I can easily see Apple splitting the iPod line into consumer and professional divisions a la iBooks vs. Powerbooks. As has been said, most consumers don't have much use for a video iPod.

But I work in television production where such a device would be INVALUABLE. No more wasting of tape stock when you just pull a video down from a server onto your iPod for screening purposes, etc. I don't think I'm going out on a limb to speculate that TV networks, movie studios, and post-production houses would snap these video iPods up en masse.

Of course, I imagine pricing for such a device would rise considerably.

Maybe work will pay for one? I can dream...

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The price will be market driven, rather than cost driven. Adding video playback capability to the current iPod (assuming new huge changes in form factor) are going to be negligible. Like I said, in a year or 2 the $299 iPod will have video capability.

IIRC the existing chipset can already do video, even if not switching to a new one won't be expensive.

I think they will go to a roughly 320 x 240 screen, with similar dimensions to the existing screen. There is a bit of border that could be used, but that would also entail making the click wheel bigger. They might not go for that for esthetic purposes.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I see two people already talking about dispensing the scroll-wheel for a linear bar like some other Mp3-players. To that I say: Are you insane? The scroll-wheel is everything the iPod is, and other players wish Apple did not patent it. It means continuos scrolling at variable speeds without ever lifting your finger from it. It's nothing short of brilliant.

BenJolene

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2005
New York, NY
madmaxmedia said:
The price will be market driven, rather than cost driven.

Sorry, this is basically what I was trying to say. I think Apple would inflate the price somewhat if purchases were being made primarily by corporations and companies rather than individual consumers.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
ErikGrim said:
I see two people already talking about dispensing the scroll-wheel for a linear bar like some other Mp3-players. To that I say: Are you insane? The scroll-wheel is everything the iPod is, and other players wish Apple did not patent it. It means continuos scrolling at variable speeds without ever lifting your finger from it. It's nothing short of brilliant.
Absolutely, if you've ever tried using another brand of mp3 player, it is such a pain having to scroll, lift, scroll and then realise because the damn thing is too sensitive, you have to keep doing this back and forth for an hour to select the right album. Then you have buttons, press to move once, hold to scroll down, still a pain. So many companies have looked at ways of copying the scroll wheel, but have all fallen short. To remove it on any iPod would be a step in the wrong direction.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I've dropped my plans to buy an iPod in anticipation of this iPod video. I'm SO getting one! Just imagine, creating a presentation in keynote, exporting as QuickTime, and then playing it in it's full glory on the big screen from the iPod!!!

Oh, oh, oh YEAH!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.