Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
Rumors and concept designs are cool. This is not. It reminds me of the Gizmodo bastard that stole an iPhone and gave an 'exclusive.' I hope this video guy runs the same luck.

pbasmadj

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
San Francisco, California
Seriously about time. Going in the Apple store now and up until now, the full size iPad sticks out so bad as just a garbage dated design in comparison to everything else Apple is producing. They look horrible. Safe to say the current full size iPad, and Macbook Pros with DVD drives are junk at this point. Good riddance.

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Like the new form factor. It looks much better than the previous iPad models.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Nice - Speakers

If all they did was radically upgrade the camera and made the next iPad less "bulky" then I think it'd make a nice upgrade for my iPad 2. There never was a compelling reason to shell out another $1k for a tablet.

I do wish Apple would update the Speakers on all their devices - the speaker quality on the MBP, iMac, iPad and iPhone are horrendous.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Never seen this comment before

I heard there's one about a certain browser that leaves the user under the impression that it is increasingly nimble in performance in a brief comparison to the previous versions.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
Seriously about time. Going in the Apple store now and up until now, the full size iPad sticks out so bad as just a garbage dated design in comparison to everything else Apple is producing. They look horrible. Safe to say the current full size iPad, and Macbook Pros with DVD drives are junk at this point. Good riddance.

That's ridiculous. By comparison against any other tablet I've seen, the current iPad is still the sharpest. While I agree that DVD's should go with the dodo, there is nothing so egregious about the current full-size iPad design that it should be called "garbage dated."

mac*jedi*g

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2007
Talking about loosing the "WOW" factor. Was this ran past Steve Jobs first? Leaks prior to released dates will clearly bring him back from Life's Sabbatical. :rolleyes:

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I am actually extremely happy to see that the back is "clean" because I'm a big fan of decals. I always hated that the speaker on the iPad 2 ruined the look of any decal placed on the back. That large, long, awkward gap was an eyesore, and as a result, I never got a decal for mine (whereas I did for my iPad 1 and every iPhone I've had).

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
The iPad went on a diet and it looks much smaller. Nice form factor change. If not for the iPad Mini this would sell like crazy. It will still sell a lot but I'd bet the retina Mini will outsell it by a wide margin.

pikzel

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2010
Could be a welcome addition, but still not sure I would change my iPad Mini for it. Ever since I switched from iPad 2 to the Mini, I just think the bigger version looks too big and bloated. Sure, I miss the higher resolution, but the iPad is too big to hold in one hand and read.

iPad Mini Retina, shut up and take my money.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Looks really great, exactly what the iPad needed. I think I'll stick with iPad mini though, there's something about the smaller form factor which works better for me. I feel like the full sized iPad is too much a laptop replacement and doesn't fit my needs. I'd take a retina iPad mini any day though.

pbasmadj

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
San Francisco, California
That's ridiculous. By comparison against any other tablet I've seen, the current iPad is still the sharpest. While I agree that DVD's should go with the dodo, there is nothing so egregious about the current full-size iPad design that it should be called "garbage dated."

Ok, to be fair, it still is the nicest full size tablet on the market, miles ahead of other manufacturers. Just comparing within Apple itself, the styling I would say is behind the times. The iPad Mini is a work of art in comparision. Mini styling+full size=win

mungo2k

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
The thinner edges on the iPad mini were possible because you can hold your hand behind and grip both edges.

This won't be possible on a 10" iPad except for massive-handed-people, so losing the edge is going to make this thing hard to hold without having your fingers on the screen.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Really looking forward to the more squared off edges if true. Hate the angled edges on the iPad 3. Makes it harder to get to the buttons. That's why I've always preferred the form factor of the very first iPad. But lighter, smaller bezel, squarer edges? I'LL TAKE 3! :D

hobx

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
If all they did was radically upgrade the camera and made the next iPad less "bulky" then I think it'd make a nice upgrade for my iPad 2. There never was a compelling reason to shell out another $1k for a tablet.

I do wish Apple would update the Speakers on all their devices - the speaker quality on the MBP, iMac, iPad and iPhone are horrendous.

They did with the four. Its still mono but the quality has increased no end. I remember being surprised that Apple hadn't gloated about it!

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
If true, I'm going to get rid of my mini with its horrid screen. I'll gladly put up with the bulk of a larger form factor for a great display. Having an iPhone 5 and a MBP Retina, I knew buying a mini was risky. But little did I realize how significant and noticeable the cheap mini display would be. The new iPad 5 looks great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.