New Video Shows Closer Look at Purported 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Front Panel

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 3, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, new photos of the iPhone 6's alleged front panel surfaced, which followed an earlier leak of the component in April. Now, a new video from Chinese blog iFanr (Google Translate, via appears to show a closer look of the black front panel, featuring a comparison to the current iPhone 5s.

Like the previous leak, the video shows the front panel having a thinner bezel and rounded edges, in line with rumors that the iPhone 6 will feature a thinner profile and a curved design. The hole for the front-facing camera is once again depicted to be on the left side of the earpiece, which differs from the location of the front camera of the iPhone 5s. When shown over the iPhone 5s, the alleged panel of the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 appears expectedly bigger, but still useable with one hand.

The 4.7-inch iPhone 6 is expected to launch later this fall, with reports suggesting a release date of either September 19 or September 25. It is also likely that Apple will launch a larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6, although it is unclear if the device will be released alongside the 4.7-inch version. Some reports have suggested that production issues will force Apple to launch the 5.5-inch version later this year or early next year, while others say that both versions of the iPhone 6 will launch at the same time.

In addition to a larger display and thinner profile, both models of the iPhone 6 are expected to come with a faster A8 processor and an enhanced camera. The 5.5-inch version is rumored to come with a number of exclusive features, including an optical image stabilization system and a bigger storage capacity.

Article Link: New Video Shows Closer Look at Purported 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Front Panel
  2. macrumors 603

Oct 13, 2008
    Everywhere And Nowhere
  3. macrumors newbie

Jun 26, 2014

I just wanna skip into the future keynote already..
  4. macrumors 6502

Jan 28, 2011
    Livingston, Scotland
    It's very well being able to stretch across a display from left to right - I can do that on a Note 3 - for me, it's about being able to reach the top and bottom of the display holding it with one hand.

If I can hold the device in my right hand, and still touch the top and bottom left corners, I'll be delighted.
  5. macrumors newbie

Nov 13, 2004
  6. macrumors 6502

Feb 26, 2011
    Still no real sign of the 5.5" panel makes me think it might have been an intentional "leak" by Apple. It could have been.. HOLY CRAP PRETTY NEW MACRUMORS EMOTICONS! :eek: :cool: :D :p :apple:
  7. macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2008
    The curved edges may help with the size, a little.... Very little.
  8. macrumors 6502a

Mac Fly (film)

Feb 12, 2006
    Design is about trade offs. You can get a one-handed phone or a roomier display. You'll have that choice. It's like the 11" MacBook Air versus the 13".
  9. macrumors 68030

Oct 31, 2007
    London, UK
    Everything indicates we won't have that choice, unless we also want twelve month old hardware with a year's less software support :-(

This new size looks such an unusable mess.
  10. macrumors 6502a

Mac Fly (film)

Feb 12, 2006
    Yeah, 5.5" is HUGE, I'm feeling slightly doubtful.

So 3 years support after buying rather than 4? How will one sleep at night.
  11. macrumors member

Apr 19, 2012
  12. JaySoul, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014

macrumors 68000

Jan 30, 2008
    The side bezels look good but the top/bottom ones seem bulky.

One just hopes that the extra bulk is packing some worthwhile tech at least.

The bottom one, fine because it will have Touch ID. But LG have shown that a 5.5" screen doesn't need bulky bezels.
  13. macrumors 65816

Feb 26, 2010
    Sweden & California
    You know what's ironic? Clicking on this post to convey my distaste for the same old rumors again and again — then to realize just by clicking I have inadvertently shown my support in terms of advertisement revenue :(
  14. macrumors 68020

May 28, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Not to mention Apple might eventually phase out older 4" hardware without introducing new 4" models. If they do introduce a new 4" iPhone it might be a plastic 4" iPhone 6C. :confused:
  15. macrumors 65816

Dec 14, 2010
    So we take the leaked images, make a video about the exact same part, showing exacty the same as the images, and it deserves a new thread?

16. macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2014
    If it was done, a cheap plastic 4" with a modern processor, I would get one just as a fun prepaid to toss in my pocket when I wanted to travel light.
  17. macrumors 6502

Apr 14, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Just not feeling the curved edges where the Touch ID is positioned.....
  18. macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2014
  19. macrumors regular

Mar 7, 2007
  20. macrumors 6502a

Jul 9, 2010
    Now this one actually has fairly good bezels. :) It basically couldnt get that much smaller with the home button
  21. macrumors 68020

Cuban Missles

Dec 6, 2012
    My heart is in Camagüey, the rest in the USA
    I am starting to warm up to the 4.7" iPhone idea. The big issue for me is that it must work with one hand. In this video, the hand had to do a small adjustment but it seemed to work. Since I have an ipad, I don't need the phone to be huge. I don't do video or a ton of reading on the phone. For those that need the size that want to try to do it all on one device, I am sure the 5.5" will be great for them. But I keep saying that they should put the phone app on the iPads and then those that want size can get as big as they want.
  22. macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2013
    The Netherlands
    That should be the phone: just a 1mm thick see-through glass panel. Plenty of room to hide the electronics in the bezel area. Oh wait, its still 2014 :mad:
  23. macrumors 68000

May 10, 2005
    Shropshire, UK
    I take your point but it's not as if MR is publishing these articles at the cost of other more worthy articles - sift out this type of stuff and we would end up with a website that only gets updated once every few days.
  24. macrumors 68040

Jan 8, 2013
    so the bezels top and bottom are been reduced?
  25. macrumors member

Apr 24, 2013
    Ability to hold it in one hand and touch near the top or I'm not buying. I really hope the rumors about the 5.5" having features not in the 4.7 are false. I would never buy the 5.5" due to its size.