New Video Shows 'iOS in the Car' Functionality from iOS 7.0.3 in Action

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 28, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Last week, app developer Steven Troughton-Smith shared a series of screenshots of what seemed to be Apple's "iOS in the Car" feature announced by Apple as "coming soon" to iOS 7 devices. The feature is intended to allow an iOS device to take over the in-dash display of a car, providing access to navigation, phone functions, messages, and music.

Troughton-Smith has now posted a video showing iOS in the Car in action, via a barebones implementation that is actually present in the already released iOS 7.0.3 but not accessible by default. The video shows the feature being run in the iOS Simulator software for developers, with the in-dash display represented by a separate 800x480 window.

In notes posted alongside the video, Troughton-Smith points out that the iOS in the Car feature supports multiple resolutions of external displays, touch input and hardware controls, and voice input.
    [​IMG]
    iOS in the Car from iOS 7.1 (Source: Twitter)
    Troughton-Smith does also point out that the user interface is subject to change, and while the demo shown in the video resembles the screenshots shown on Apple's site, his earlier screenshots and a Twitter response indicate that the overall look has indeed seen a redesign for iOS 7.1, bringing more of the blue text and overall feel of iOS 7 to the in-vehicle display.

Article Link: New Video Shows 'iOS in the Car' Functionality from iOS 7.0.3 in Action

2. macrumors 65816

OldSchoolMacGuy

Looking forward to using this with my AppRadio 3. Already do stuff along these lines with it but an integrated implementation will be nice too.

3. macrumors newbie

Looks good, :p

4. macrumors member

Time to go buy a new car... :eek:

5. macrumors 65816

BklynKid

As someone who takes mass transit and doesn't even own a car: this (and Apple Maps in general) is completely useless to me.

6. macrumors regular

iCar in 2020

7. macrumors 6502a

SmileyBlast!

Looks awesome. Is Smith violating some sort of NDA though?

8. macrumors regular

Lapidus

Wish we could integrate this in cars that will not support iOS in the car.

9. macrumors 65816

Main question I have is how this can be retrofit to those ancient, rusty, 2013 and 2014 vehicles out there that have in dash screens but no iOS goodness :) Wondering if I'll have to add an aftermarket video input and an Apple TV otherwise.

10. macrumors 68040

Car touch screens (and decks) are so awful. I have been wanting apple to do this for so long. Any deck you buy looks likes it's from 1990 still. The software is clunky and not intuitive.

I hope Apple will sell separate decks that can be installed, but I highly doubt it.

11. macrumors 603

Menel

Show me a new car with this feature?

----------

Apple will not. But others will. Pioneer (and I think Kenwood) have noted they are working on it.

12. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

hopefully apple sells a stand alone device that can be added to cars!

13. macrumors 68040

I hope so, but Apple has been so mum on this feature it is getting annoying. They announced it, and it would have been nice to have some info. Maybe at WWDC.

14. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

Vauxhall Adam

15. macrumors 68000

It's funny. Of all the reasons to get a new car, a new in-dash experience wasn't something I contemplated until this. I figure I have 3 more years in my current ride so by then the in-car interface for this should be more or less ubiquitous.

It never made sense to bake so much tech directly into cars as it was outmoded almost instantly and next to impossible to update (best case: a costly new maps dvd), so transferring the brains to an iOS device with the car serving as a dumb terminal makes a ton of sense.

That said, they'll still have to put some tech in the car for those times you forget your iPhone, or *gasp* if you don't own one.

16. macrumors 6502a

SmileyBlast!

Maybe some of those aftermarket in dash DVD player with the flip out/up screens would make this. It could replace your stereo and stock GPS with a touch screen that is in concert with your iPhone.

Look up an address on the phone. Get in the car and it is ready to navigate to your last found destination. I was hoping something like that could have worked with existing Garmin GPS'.

17. Guest

Sky Blue

I wonder of there will be in event in March to demo this and announce the new Apple TV?

18. macrumors 6502

Have they actually improved maps well enough to make someone want to use it to navigate?

The last time I used it (just a couple months ago) it took me several miles away from the location I intended to arrive at. A GPS isn't worth a penny if it doesn't actually give proper directions.

19. macrumors newbie

I wonder why they chose "Kiev" as the city in the screenshots. And why pick that particular route. It seems needlessly political....

20. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

I'm guessing you have to be in NYC, because I can't think of any other city on earth where you'd really think you can live your entire life in the single city. I do 95+% of my traveling by public transit, but I still own a car for when I want to go someplace that the transit system doesn't go, or I want to go there at a time when it doesn't.

My car obviously doesn't support iOS in the car, but maybe I'll spring for it in my next car (probably at least 3 years away... My current car is still running quite well.)

21. macrumors 68040

Is it me or does the iOS in the Car actually looks better than the iOS 7's design? I prefer the dark transparent bar with the white/blue-ish textual buttons there than the current ugly blue on white.

22. macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

This is 100% coming. iOS for a car's dash display interface is an absolute function I want in my next vehicle.

23. macrumors 603

Menel

Its not perfect, but more accurate in my testing than Google.

24. macrumors 601

brand

As was your post to me. If everyone chimed in about how irrelevant stuff was useless to them this forum would be worthless. Thankfully not everyone does that.

25. macrumors 6502a

+1

The true efficient, affordable, and convenient mode of transportation.