New 'Vidyo' iOS App Allows Users to Record Their iPhone Screens [Update: Pulled]

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 6, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Innovative Developers LTD has launched a new app called "Vidyo!" that allows users to easily capture video of their iPhone screen right on the device. Users can capture their screen within any app and edit or add background music and commentary to their video captures.

[​IMG]

According to MacStories, the app works by simulating an AirPlay mirroring connection to the app itself. Capturing begins when a user toggles "Device Screen" within the app, exits the app and then chooses Vidyo! as an AirPlay source in Control Center.

While the app is currently in the App Store, it's unclear whether Apple will pull the app as it simulates AirPlay mirroring. Apple doesn't currently provide APIs for iOS devices to act as AirPlay receivers and, according to App Store Review Guideline 2.5, apps can be rejected for using non-public APIs.

Vidyo! is available in the App Store for $4.99. [Direct Link]

Update 1/7 9:30 a.m.: Vidyo has been removed from the App Store and is no longer available for download.

Article Link: New 'Vidyo' iOS App Allows Users to Record Their iPhone Screens [Update: Pulled]

2. LCPepper macrumors regular

LCPepper

Not sure this is worth buying just in case Apple pulls it...

3. garirry macrumors 65816

garirry

4. omihek macrumors member

omihek

Hurry and buy it before they pull it, and then never update iOS again.

5. MonstaMash macrumors regular

MonstaMash

Seems like a privacy risk. What's preventing a malicious app that uses this same technique from recording everything that you are doing?

6. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

You need to go to Control Center and set that Air Play should send video to the app. So they can't do it without you knowing - you have to manually turn on Air Play.

Also, the status bar turns blue, so you're aware while its recording.

I had $30 in the App Store that I've had sitting there for 4 years... So I just went ahead and spent $5 on the app. Not sure if I'll ever need it or not, but the $5 wasn't doing me any good just sitting in my iTunes Account.

7. LoffredoJoseph macrumors newbie

LoffredoJoseph

I have discovered another feature, if you have a mac as well and you've recorded once on your iPhone. then you can click the airplay icon on your mac and connect to the same airplay device, and it will record video and audio as well. someone else test it and see if it works. :)

8. thefontes macrumors newbie

Just downloaded, it had the screen recording option at first, but then it said video source was no longer available. Then it disappeared from the app all together. now it basically just functions as a front and back camera video recorder. :mad::mad::mad: Hope I am wrong about this...

9. 2010mini macrumors 68030

you could've used that money to send a friend/family a gift from iTunes.

10. Seoras macrumors member

Seoras

You can do this for free using your Mac and QuickTime Player.
    Plug your iOS device into the Mac, launch QT and select menu File->New Movie Recording
    You'll probably see yourself as it defaults to the web cam.
    On the right of the red circle record button on the video preview screen is a reversed ^ icon.
    Click on it for a drop down menu allowing you to choose the video source.

11. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

IDK try talking to fb.

12. JGruber macrumors 6502

I'll use this solely for the purpose of recording my iPad Air 2 screen when flying my DJI Inspire 1, I know Airshou can do this as well, but that app requires you to install their Enterprise profile.

13. aggiesrwe03 macrumors regular

Same...

14. macintoshmac macrumors 6502

Apple takes care of such cool stuff already. We didn't need Vidyo for that. You're right, we can do it for free anytime with the built-in option.

15. bmustaf macrumors regular

In the past, when AAPL pulls it, you still get to keep the app (esp if you still backup to iTunes, the .ipa file is on your computer and you can reload it even if the app is pulled from the App Store and you need to restore).

So in otherwords, BUY NOW before it gets pulled (not affiliated with the devs, seriously, just telling you what has happened in the past with tethering apps etc that made it through).

16. thasan macrumors 6502a

exactly .. Looks like lot of people even owning a Mac didn't know about this. I myself found this just last week :p

17. naeS1Sean macrumors 6502a

naeS1Sean

Why must Apple approve things and then decide a week later that it goes against their rules. It's kind of annoying. Just review them properly the first time.

18. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

So much logic it hurts!

19. C DM macrumors Nehalem

That's kind of like asking why do people have to make mistakes in anything and not just do it all right the first time? Basic reality seems to be the answer.

20. Gigaman macrumors regular

Now imagine not having to rely on a Mac in this post-PC era.

Yeah.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 6, 2016 ---
    These are the types of apps I'd like to start seeing more of on the AppStore. iOS is becoming more open and so is the AppStore, but it still feels like they're just scratching the surface.

21. iorangutan macrumors member

iorangutan

I had this problem too. Try toggling airplane mode and restarting the App as per the developers comments on Twitter. Worked for me. Recording everything fine now.

I think it's something to do with wi-fi/AirPlay as this is bypassing the wi-fi that AirPlay usually uses.

22. Wondercow macrumors 6502

It seems that this could also be used to record phone calls. Can anyone who purchased it confirm that?

23. iorangutan macrumors member

iorangutan

You could record phone calls, however the problem is that as its AirPlaying to the app it is passing the audio to the app and not playing it on the phone. So you wouldn't be able to hear the person on the other end.

So basically you can't listen to the audio while recording it.

(I have bought the app - so this comes from experience and some instructions)

24. Wondercow macrumors 6502

Ah, I see; thanks for the info.

25. iorangutan macrumors member

iorangutan

Been using QuickTime for years - fantastic (with lightning connected phones - doesn't work with old 30-pin). But it's great now to be able to do it unteathered and on the go away from my Mac!

Also, have you ever noticed that when connected to QuickTime it changes the time to 9:41 in the status bar among other things...