New Virus/Malware for mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Damien, Feb 18, 2006.

1. great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

Jan 30, 2006
    The article says this is a proof-of-concept that will expire in feb 2006, is not in the wild and elsewhere, I have read that it uses a vunerability patched in June 2005! Not a threat.
  2. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

Mar 17, 2003
    In addition you need to leave your Bluetooth on and accept three (!) unknown files to be 'infected'.

3. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    Its far from time to panic. I really don't get all the hubbub surrounding these latest 'Viruses' and 'Trojans'. People should be investigating these reports a little more thoroughly before throwing their hands up and claiming that the sky is falling on MacOS X security. You will find that the procedures necessary to infect and spread these things generally fall outside the guidelines of even basic sensible computer operation.
  4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    and, umm, I know hundreds of average Mac users who are unpatched, have all the default stuff ON including personal filesharing, and bluetooth even if they don't have any wireless equipment, are using unsecured WiFi with the default admin passwords, and generally will assume that anything that the machine asks them to do they should OK.

Please, don't be dismissive of threats on the grounds that "any knowlegable Mac users won't be at risk ('cause of patching, or warnings, or whatever)"

80 percent (my estimate) of computer users are passive users, not knowlegeable users. There are still Windows viruses circulating successfully that were patched 3 years ago, because people "ain't gonna fix what ain't broke" and are running unpatched Win 98 or XP Home v.1.