New Vista, Word, etc. videos and s/shots...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by doowrehs, Dec 4, 2005.

1. doowrehs macrumors regular

Just finished having a look at the stuff here:

http://www.oocontrol.com/blog/index.php?2005/12/03/40-microsoft-incomming-products

In particular, check out the videos. My French is beyond cr*p, so I don't have a clue what the presenter is talking about, but it looks like MS have now managed to rip off both Sun's Looking Glass project, almost everything in OS X, and - the final straw - FrontRow.

Admittedly some of the eye-candy is quite impressive but, in typical MS fashion, it quite often gets in the way of the user experience. Viewing pictures, for example: for some reason they're displayed as washed out until selected. Very fancy, except you'd think people would want to be able to view their photos at a glance to see which ones they like, rather than having to mouse over each one to see it in its 'natural' state.

Anyway, thought some of you might be interested...

2. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Front Row? :rolleyes:

I believe Microsoft had Media Center several years before Front Row was released.

3. hyperpasta macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

4. iGary Guest

iGary

5. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

6. doowrehs thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not arguing with that, but take a look at the second video (the one with the North Face promo), and you'll see what I mean...

7. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I gotta admit, those graphics looked pretty nice, especially when transitioning between pictures and Web pages. BUT! It's still Windows and we all know what that means: there are many problems to be had

And plus, the hardware requirements are ridiculous and definitely not consumer-friendly.

8. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

What they are doing is not "technically" groundbreaking, but XAML makes it very easy to use... APPL has something to catch up with there at least. All the pieces are there, lets hope they do, because its a great concept...

Anyone notice MS now has an application for basically every product category except CAD? I think I'll become a windows developer!

9. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

To be honest, the only thing I seem to like with Vista is the pretty effects... we'll see if it's just a dress or if Microsoft got it right this time.

WTF? Spotlight?

Attached Files:

10. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

It looks like a newer version of Windows Media Center - same layout though...

...nice try...

11. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Everything M$ puts out is crap; I will not have an open mind and give it a try. If it doesn't have an Apple logo, I will forever condemn it.

12. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I wrote on another thread about this, it is just too bulky. I don't want to get a system that I don't have hardware to run, and I couldn't run that on my current hardware, and wouldn't want to. I have used Media Center, and I didn't like it (TOO BULKY, BAD UI). I haven't tried Front Row, but I suspect it will be A LOT better than Media Center.