New VW Golf advert...

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Feb 22, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

We've had it screened here now for the last month or so... fantastic! :D

http://www.vw.co.uk/home

Go to the 'Vote for the Golf TV ad' link on the left, and then vote for your fav's and it eventually scrolls to the current ad '30 years in the making' for you to view... ;)

* and for the geeks out there, if you follow it closely you'll see a few Apple Mac's* ;)

2. cubist macrumors 68020

Painful web site, loading loading loading and, after that, very little content.

New Golf looks aerodynamic. Can't tell if it's any roomier.

Commercialwise, I doubt they'll ever beat "Da Da Da".

3. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I wish the new golf was available here in the US... right now it is not even featured on the US website.

Btw, my Golf VR6 got trashed yesterday afternoon, a guy didn't stop at a red light and plowed into my car while I was passing the intersection. Now I have a broken leg (only hairline crack), a few minor cuts and will have to go car-shopping again :(

Still, I was pretty lucky... gotta love those side airbags ! :)

4. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

ouch etoiles..... :eek: have you got the guys details? hope you manage to get everything sorted... what car you looking at next???

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I still most like this variant, but as far as I can tell it's only sold in South Africa now.

6. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

bloody hell... VW are still knocking out the MK 1.... hahahah corking! ;) :D

7. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

the other driver totally admitted his fault (and he has insurance), there are a few witnesses, the police came to make a report...I should be covered.

I am not sure what to get now. I have been looking around briefly, and it seems like I might get the same car again. Pretty boring, I know, but I really liked it. I am definitely looking for a smaller car with 'character', and it should have some room in the trunk. I like the new mini, but it is more expensive than a Golf VR6 over here (fully loaded) and while extremely fun to drive a bit too small for my snowboard.

I am going to look at honda (civic si) and toyota (matrix) as well, but I prefer the classic lines of the golf.

Any other suggestions (they don't sell Peugeot's over here) ?

cheers

8. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I wish there was a bigger video of it. I like the way everything is evolving in the 30 years, from that guy's dinner (to more healthier meals) to the Mac that sat at his desk (CRT biege, iMac CRT, iMac flat panel, small Apple LCD display, 20/23" Apple cinema display ;) )

I like the music too. Anyone know what that is?

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Glad that you're mostly well. Hope you heal quickly.

Why not a Subara Impreza WRX (but not the STi)?

10. Rend It macrumors 6502

Mk V Golf

If any of you are interested in some more info on the new Golf, check out VWvortex:

http://www.vwvortex.com

They have tons of info on the 5th generation Golf and Jetta for the U.S. (should arrive in 2005). Plus, they also have some detailed info on VW's plans for bringing their modern diesel technologies to the U.S., as wells as VW's partnerships to get biodiesel into the mainstream. Wow, the gas mileage of diesel AND the little to no dependence on foreign oil.

Later

11. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

Glad to hear you're relatively OK and that it will probably all work out. I haven't seen one in person or test driven one yet, but (and this IS quite a departure for me) what about the Mazda 3 five door?

12. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Its different...

I wish the U.S got some of those cars...

Like that 2 minute honda commerical...

I would have bought that car just cause of the commerical, but they don't make it here...

arg.

13. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

thanks for the encouraging words, guys... my doctor said my leg should heal very quickly, about 3 - 4 weeks. Just enough time to read up on all these new cars before going car shopping ;)

The Impreza is a great car, but it lacks some character visually IMHO (I am such a mac user, I know :)). I really like the Mazda3 (at least on the pictures), I had totally overlooked that car...so thanks for the hint.

That Jetta commercial were the guy licks the door handle to claim it his own is probably the main reason why you see so many on the roads over here :D

14. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

I hated that commercial...

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

It is a shame that even as gas prices rise, we here in the states are still in love with cars that are overpowered gas hogs.

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

One thing that you may want to look is the depreciation of the likes of Mazda and Mistsubishi, and most of the American offerings. These brands generally have super rebates most any time of the year, but in particular at the end of the model year. That will affect the resale value of the car long term.

I have been very lucky since 1996 having owned a 1996 Toyota Camary Coupe (sold due to frame damge in an accident - had positive equity after a year and half). A 1998 Ford Ranger Supercab 4x4 (sold a year later when Ford refused to fix paint problems). A 1999 VW New Beetle GLS (sold two and half years later due to poor quality control by VW. They had extended the warranty from 24K to 48K, and had another repair just before that extended warranty expired). Then 9-11 happened and "over reacted" due to my Depression Era parents influences growing up. I( was concerned about my job, gas prices, and the such and wanted to save major money. That led me to the 2001 Honda Civic coupe LX. It was a decent car, but hard riding.

Just sold that one back in October and got myself the 2003 Subaru Baja Sport. It is the best ride I have had in years. The AWD really does make a difference in handling. It is also my first car with a sunroof. I will have a hard time buying a car without one now. As long as my finances hold steady, no major accidents, and major issues post warranty I see the Baja as a car that I plan on paying off. If not I should be in the same situation as i was in the past with cars that allowed me to take excess equity and get into a new car with only taxes and tags coming out of my pocket. I just hate the idea of financing those fees.

Also since you mentioned the Impreza, you might want to take a look at the new Saab 9-2x which is made for Saab by Subaru on the Impreza design.

Best of luck to you....

17. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

that 9-2X is SAAB sacrilege.... :eek:

the uniqueness of SAAB has been totally lost in this car... :rolleyes:

18. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

Yup, the Saab styling really doesn't match the rest of the car at all, apparantly it was a rush job for the States and thats why they aren't planning on selling it here in the UK.

Does anyone know if VW actually do CAD work on Macs, or are they used purely for the style?

19. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

vw is losing big points in my book with the phaeton... w12 engine??? what the hell do you need that for? (granted i don't know exactly what it means...haha)

also, my nerd brother has been telling me more and more about how diesel exhaust is not good, even in the modern vw cars (he has a 98 jetta tdi)... sure, biodiesel helps, but it's still not out there in mass quantity

not that viable alternatives are...

another brother just got a civic hybrid, and my dad got the new prius... both pretty nice, definitely prefer the civic though, as it's more "normal"... although, the batteries blocking the trunk kinda sucks.

anyhoo

20. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

Yeah, I don't think diesels are much better than petrol engines in terms of pollutants, they just pump out different ones. Here in the UK company car drivers are taxed on how much CO2 a car produces (grams of CO2 per km) (with the limit falling each year Vs tax cost rising) and diesels produce less CO2 than petrol engines, so thats what all the company car drivers are switching too. My dad is in the process of changing his company car and he doesn't get a choice other than diesels, no petrol engines feature on the list at all.

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ahh, interesting. here in the US the diesel cars are the exception, not the norm.. though are certainly more available now than maybe 10 years ago.

they definitely get better gas mileage, and that's why my brother thought that overall, the dirtier exhaust with better mileage worked out better... but he's done more studying up and whatnot and he's changing his mind pretty strongly... he's quite a damn nerd, so i'm not one to doubt him too easily

22. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

It's a W12 because it's 2 V6's side by side, hence the 'W', but that's the least of its worries.

The biggest problem the Phaeton has, is the badge on it's bonnet...

The second biggest problem it has, it that the S Class, 7 Series, A8 and XJ are all much better cars, as are the E Class, 5 series and A6 from the class below.

The third problem it has, it that it's just far to fat and heavy.... like REALLY heavy.

The fourth problem it has, is that it looks exactly like the much cheaper Passat only wider, longer and fatter.

The fifth problem it has is that once you sign that cheque to VW, it instantly loses 3/4 of it's value.... faster infact than the time it'll take for you to start the thing up. :eek: :p

and you really could keep listing problems this car has when compared to the competition.

The W12 is an interesting configuration which requires far more development work, it's also far too heavy for a front engined car, it's weight causes that nasty handling characteristic... understeer, and in a car as hefty as the Phaeton, it can get dangerous if you understeer into the oncoming lane on a corner head on with something that ways alot less than your Phaeton.... like a Semi... :eek: :p :p

23. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

Yeah I like the way the ad evolved too. I went to my local indy/arthouse cinema everyday last week :rolleyes: so I got to see this ad quite a few times! The one thing which confused me was first I thought the macs went 20" imac then 17" studio display then 20/23" cinema. Which is obviously a bit messy considering the release date of the 20".
    Then I decided it went 17" imac to 15" studio display to 17" studio display which just confused me more, its hard trying to spot those screen sizes quickly ;)

Hahah anyway yeah just being pedantic

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

which is very funny because Audi is owned by VW ...it just doesnt make sense to design/create a car like the Pheaton if you already have the Audi A8, Audi A6

it was a prestige object from the beginning

in the VW prestige line you can go up through
    Skoda/Seat - > VW -> Audi
    increasing price/prestige
    Skoda Superb <-> VW Passat same car little bit different looks
    VW Golf - Audi A3 same here
    some for polo vs. Seat/Skoda etc.

i'm so bored with the VW,Skoda,Audi looks...bring on something new please !! (Seats look pretty good)

25. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

With new low sulfur diesel fuel coming to the US in 2006 I believe, you will see more diesels. Only if Americans get past the HP issue and look at torque. They also need to lessen the price difference between gas and diesel models.

To be honest if Toyota had the diesel RAV4 in the US, I would have bought that over my Subaru Baja Sport. To my knowledge Subaru doesn't have a diesel option even in Europe.