New VW Passat . . .

Discussion in 'Community' started by EJBasile, Aug 14, 2005.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I was checking out VW's site and I saw the new '06 Passat and I know that a lot of you are VW people (I think at least).

http://www.vw.com/passat/photos_ext.html

I like the interrior, it reminds alot of the Touareg.
    Radio/Nav up high
    HVAC down low and knobs split apart for the two passangers
    Awesome looking key
    Grey Leather w/grey dash does not look good though!

But I don't love the exterior
    Front/Side view= Nissan Maxima
    Side= Lexus ES/Camry -front looks a bit like 2002+ passats
    Front= Audi (obviously)w/ a little ford 500
    Back= Old Audi A4s with the little up thing on the trunk
    --It needs at least 18" wheels- 16" definatly too small for the car, 17" is ok

Seriously though, VWs are starting to look like Japanese Cars
    New Passat- Maxima/ES/Camry
    New Jetta- Corrolla

[addition] It looks like the cut the diesel, at least for now.

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I'm not a big fan of the new Passat's, or the new Jettas either. I loved the old Jetta body style. In fact, I was hoping for a Jetta GTI (old body style) as a graduation present. Maybe I'll still get one... just used...

3. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Oh look another car thread started by Eric :p Before i even opened this thread i thought it might be him. Seriously though i do like the new golf and would love to get one :)

4. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

:) :D :) :D You know me too well. I think

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I don't know. It seems to me to be another in a trend of generic German saloon cars, hopefully, with interchangeable parts.

The Golf has more of an identity. If the quality is there, I might consider replacing my current one with a new model. Of course, if VW keeps going the way they do, the Golf will end up as big as the Passat.

6. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I saw this in a magazine the other day. I think its a good looking car.

7. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

I love the new Passat. I'm a big fan of VW and Audi cars. I currently have a Lupo, which is a great smart little car. My dad has an old A6 Avant, (rock solid, can't fault it!) and my brother has recently purchased a Brand New Golf GT TDI, which is just sweet! Fantastic car, great stuff inside!

I didn't like the previous Passat as much as the Audi A4 and A6m but now this one stands out at me more. My dads wanting to get a new car soon, I'd be happy for him to get this! Either that or another A6/A4 Avant!

8. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I love the styling of the new VW's. I'd like to have a new Jetta TDI with DSG. For those of you not familiar with the DSG, here's a link. DSG

9. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Just checked out the VW american site as I was confused over the "Jetta". We don't have the Jetta here in the UK, we have a "Bora", doesn't look as good as the Jetta though guys so you're not missing out! We have the rest though. Also I see that you do not have the new Golfs that we do either from looking at the pictures on the website (unless it just isn't updated!). As well as the Lupo, Polo (just updated, looks like a cool mini new golf!), Golf Plus, Touran and Sharan people carriers. These cars not there at all?

10. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

love the inside, hate the outside... looks like a ford focus or something... yuck :p

11. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

The two things I liked about this car that I saw from the pictures, the incredible amount of airbags and the small umbrella holder built into the side of the door. These could be old features for all I know, I don't really keep up with much auto stuff. All I know is my car works and it gets me from where I am to where I want to be ( 95' camry).

12. 512ke macrumors 6502a

512ke

I love VW's. I have the prev passat 1.8 turbo (the version they sell in the States...no TDI). My only complaints...the sucker uses premium gas. Ouch$$$. The oil leaks after 50K miles. You gotta use synthetic. But all in all...a nice machine.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the exterior reminds me too much of a nissan maxima, which its not a good thing in my opinion, i like the older styling much much more, oh well what are you going to do, its not for me i guess

14. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    We get the new Golf soon. We don't currently and probably will never get any of those other models.

15. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

We used to have something here called a EuroVan. I went to bermuda last summer I forget what they called them over there.

I don't love the new Passat. In my opinion it is one of those cars that looks ok but I like the older one more. Uusally those types of cars grow on me though.

That indoor umbrella idea is pretty awesome. I think Rolls Royces have a thing similar to that.

I'm trying to imagine what the new wagon willl look like.

16. jdechko macrumors 68040

512ke, I have that car, just got it 3 weeks ago... I absolutely love it. I do hate that I have to use premium fuel in it (I just got out of a jeep and I was looking forward to lower fill up costs, but not this time).

FadeToBlack, that is pretty sweet, I have an automatic manual (aka Tiptronic) in my passat. it is so much fun to drive. but this seems even cooler.

I honestly dont mind the look of the new passat, though in 5-6 years when im in the market again, it will look totally different.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Looks like the next version will be the New Beetle TDI with DSG.

Not like there will be a whole lot of those for the extra $1000 it adds to the price, not to mention the astounding number of TDIs being imported.

18. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Well good news for the new Golf! It's pretty awsome! I hope you all love it! Was so thrilled when my brother got it to replace his Ford Focus! And to think he was going to go with a Vauxhall Astra! :eek: It's a veyr sleek car and looks so much better than the older Golf, in my opinion. The GTI version looks awsome! But the GT TDI is great for economy and power. My brother has the 2.0 GT TDI in graphite blue. Automatic headlamps, wipers, rearview mirror dimmer etc etc. All very cool.
    Shame about the other models. There appears to be a big gap in their line, with no small cars. I guess you don't need or want them over there. Shame though, the Lupo and Polo are good cars!

19. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I'm jealous!

The UK still has the V10 Diesel and Germany has a V6 TDI AND a W12!

I think the touareg is an awesome car. I think the cayennne is not nearly as attractive. I can't wait to see the Audi's version of it.

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes it is, we did get a Smart car in the Phoenix valley -- from the guy that won the eBay auction for the first import sale.

As far as the Polo or Lupo -- they do run around the valley quite often. But they have Mexican plates. :(

With VW trying to push themselves upmarket, not only to we need the small cars -- we need one of the other VW brand names to come in with the low-end vehicles.

But I don't think VW really wants to compete in the $10-16k vehicle sales niche either in the US.

21. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Ah the Audi Q7?! Yes from what I've seen and heard that is going to be some car!

Yes I like the Toureg too, has a nice shape and curve to it. Reminds me slightly of the Porsche 4x4!, but better, obviously!

I like how people often use their VWs to do Mac mini mods or iPod mods into them! See some BMWs etc, but mostly VWs when searching the net! Great!

22. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Shame. Here is a link to my Lupo (with my dads Audi and bro's old Focus in background!) if you want to look. I think they are about to update the Lupo, calling it the "Fox" I think, giving it an updated look to keep with the new Polo, that was updated to keep up with the new Golf!

From what I can see the front of your Jetta looks very similar to the front of our new Golf, was the Jetta recently updated?

23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, the Jetta is the newer, bigger Mk. V model here while the Golf is still a Mk IV at the moment. The newer model must be safer as they're touting the crash ratings for the first time in t.v. advertisements.

The Lupo looks quite nice. Something the size of the Fiat 500?

We miss out on so many of the interesting cars here because of government testing. Cheap cars are suddenly expensive, etc.

24. iGav macrumors G3

All the Jetta is is a booted Golf, except the the frontal light treatment on the Mk IV.

The Bora used to be called the Jetta up until the Mk III, and that car was soooooooo bad that VW had to kill the name to boost the image in the UK. (remember Ford UK with the Orion?)

The U.S. got the new Jetta/Bora first over the Golf, because of the popularity of the sedan form there, where as we favour the hatchback and so we got the Golf first.

As for the new Passat, better in the flesh... but still a little banal.

25. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Ah right. Yes, well it looks quite nice. We used to have a Jetta here in the UK ages ago, so my folks tell me! They used to own one! But the Bora came out to replace it here, to be frank I hate the Bora, it looks old fashioned and horrible! I'd much prefer your Jetta! (EDIT- iGav has beat me to that explanation!)

Yes the Lupo is a small car. A city bug in class. We have a lot of these types of cars in the UK. Others include the Fiat Seicento & Cinquecento, Citroen C1, Peugeot 107 & 1007 etc etc, not to mention the Smart Car!

If I get chance Ill post some pictures of my brothers new Golf.

I'm trying desperately hard to convince my dad to stick with VW or Audi as he's wanting to replace his (now aging) A6. The new Passat looks perfect, I wonder if they'll update the estate version, as well as the Golf estate (as he likes his estates!)

We had an old Passat once, nice enough car, but it was quite uncomfortable, but that was a few years ago!