New Windows virus doing the rounds?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Applespider, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I rarely get junk mail to my home account - careful handing out to selected parties and pretty much unguessable - even after having it for 6 years or so.

But I started getting a couple of odd attachments through a couple of days ago and tonight it's turned into 2 or 3 an hour. Mail is picking it up and trashing it but still. Anyone know if anything doing the rounds that I might have to tell my PC-using friends to watch out for in case it's harvesting their Outlook to mail me?

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I am getting those emails too.

Say they are from the CIA, earthlink, a Bank, MSN.

And they are getting really annoying. Getting lots of them and Mail trashes them for me.

3. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Got one from Cox.net.. in german.. that slipped past the filter. Nice little zip with an .exe included.

Nothing else, at least not that survived the filter.

4. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Having had a hunt through Symantec, it appears there's new Sober and Mytob variants out; I guess I have a friend who hasn't updated their virus protection... what a surprise!

5. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I've gotten a few of these today also. A few from the CIA and FBI. Scared me for a second at first ;)

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Anyone want to open the .exe in Textedit and put a little smiley face and a picture of Steve with the caption "Buy something from this man and don't get viruses like this anymore"?

7. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

If we knew the file format of exe, we could edit a string value inside there with a hex editor, which would be traceable if the virus duplicates itself exactly :D