New Wireless Router

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JzzTrump22, Jun 2, 2005.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I just installed a new wireless Linksys router and i was wondering why my wireless signal dips and jumps a lot. It will start at 3-4 solid bars then gradually lower to 2 sometimes it dips to 0 if i don't use any internet. But as soon as i start doing fast page surfing it rises up to 3 bars again. I am guessing it is trying to conserve battery life by not over communicating with the router. Am I correct in thinking this because i don't want to get screwed with this new router. Any input/advice is greatly appreciated.

2. slb macrumors 6502

I use a wireless Linksys router at work with my iBook with no signal strength problems, but if I attempt to copy large files (500MB-1GB), the copy operation will eventually "pause" midway through. Clicking the X won't cancel it, ejecting the SMB share won't stop it, and disabling Airport doesn't stop it. I can't restart the iBook because it tells me Finder is busy with a copy operation. Only forcefully turning it off works.

I have the same Wireless Linksys router at home. It does the very same thing when copying large files. Running 10.4.1.

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i also have a Linksys wireless and the only time my signal strength goes down is when the microwave is on. probably not the problem in your case but i figured i would throw it out there

4. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

It seems the signal has become mostly steady at a solid 3-4 bars. So i'm not worried, sometimes it does dip down but it shoots right back up within a second. Mabey I should check and see if i'm getting interference from the microwave, it is down one floor but is directly under the router.

5. dzavitz macrumors newbie

There are problems with certain revisions of the Linksys WRT54G and GS routers.

Specifically, the WRT54G v2.2 and the WRT54GS v1.1 are known to have problems with large file transfers. These two models were very quickly replaced by 54G v3.0 and 54GS v2.0 (respectively).

I have heard of beta firmwares that are to address the issues, but nothing is publicly available yet. Also, some 3rd party firmwares propose to fix the problem in upcoming releases.

6. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

How do i check which version i have? If it's one of the problem ones can i update it?