Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TuckBodi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
Ok I have a question, I am learning XHTML and CSS, not Dreamweaver and honestly what is wordpress, I use Textmate and Nvu. What is it?

wordpress.org

It's a blogging tool which in a way is turning also into a content management (CMS) tool as well.

tominated

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Wow, fantastic job you guys and in record time! I see only a couple of glitches in Safari and just one subtle suggestion in both Safari and Firefox.

Safari glitches - 1) The inlaid pointers in the right side box are not lining up in the white (main) area but are slid over on the right about 25 pixels. 2) The text in the main box is not a scrollable text area but rather just extending down the page.

Firefox & Safari suggestion - I like how the vertical dotted line to the left of the word Blog looks in the original mockup versus the new look (3/4th height versus full height). It just seems to look a little bit better because it doesn't look like a split of a graphic. Just a thought...

Let me know if you need any help converting colors/graphics and I'll be happy to help!

Yeah, when viewed in safari or other webkit browsers, it's pretty messed up for now). And the dotted line is done in css, i'll try fix it, but there are no guarantees. BTW: does anybody know:
a. how to make a css property only apply to webkit browsers
b. a way to do something like "overflow-y: scroll;" in safari or opera
thanks in advance

krimsen

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2005
Yeah, when viewed in safari or other webkit browsers, it's pretty messed up for now). And the dotted line is done in css, i'll try fix it, but there are no guarantees. BTW: does anybody know:
a. how to make a css property only apply to webkit browsers
b. a way to do something like "overflow-y: scroll;" in safari or opera
thanks in advance

The easiest way I can imagine would be a JavaScript checking the Browser's ID String and then writing links to the appropriate CSS file(s)

No idea on the second one.

tominated

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia
well, I have all of my exams done in a week, so i should ramp up production by then. All I really have to do is do some debugging and get mrogers to help me make it a wordpress theme. I will probably release it for rapidweaver too.

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
well, I have all of my exams done in a week, so i should ramp up production by then. All I really have to do is do some debugging and get mrogers to help me make it a wordpress theme. I will probably release it for rapidweaver too.

Cant wait to see it for wordpress. :) :)

tominated

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia
It would be finished if I could find an overflow-y alernative for safari and opera. All I have to do after that is make the other colour variations (it'll take 2 minutes) and get mrogers to help me port it to word press. I'll port it to Rapidweaver aswell (possibly drupal)

TuckBodi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
So it looks like to me Safari 3 addresses some of your issues (looking pretty good). For Safari 2 I ran across a site describing the overflow issue with Safari 2 and maybe some of their workarounds can apply:

http://www.reinspire.net/blog/2007/06/18/safari_css_javascript_overflow/

I also see in IE6 on a PC, you are having issues with your PNG's and may need to apply the IE PNG fix:

http://webapp.youngpup.net/?request=/snippets/sleight.xml&xpath=/project/description
Or
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/pngtestfixed.htm

Or the following solution addresses PNG issues along with a host of other CSS issues in IE5/6:

http://dean.edwards.name/IE7/

I'll keep looking for Opera compatibility...

tominated

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia
thanks for that, but it isn't what I am talking about. because safari doesn't support the overflow-y attribute, I can't permanently have a vertical scrollbar and when the scrollbar is removed, the post meta data is misaligned. I guess i could try and find something to apply the css styles when the content is too long, but then people with js turned off would see a horrible mess.

tominated

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia
ok, I need a javascript person. I have sort of hacked this up form the link that TuckBodi has given me, but it aint working.

Code:
	window.onload = function() {
		if (parseInt(document.getElementById('content').offsetHeight) < parseInt(document.getElementById('content').scrollHeight)) {
			document.getElementsByClassName('metadata').style.padding-left = '18px';
			document.getElementById('content').style.overflow = 'auto';
		}
	}

I hope you get the general Idea. can you see what is wrong? all I want to do is apply those css styles if the content is long enough to scroll, but nothing happens. help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.