New Xbox 360 Info

Discussion in 'Games' started by kuyu, Jun 2, 2005.

1. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Just stumbled on this site a few minutes ago. The xbox 360 will ship with llamasoft's Neon visualizer built in. It reacts to the music AND user input. Four people can control the visuals at once. It runs at a smooth 60 fps too!

Must be seen to be believed...
    http://llamasoft.co.uk/neon-movies.php

Enjoy ;)

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

3. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

A visualizer? What's the big deal? I mean, the images it put out didn't seem revolutionary at all.. :/

4. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Open itunes and turn on the visualizer. It struggles to push 60 fps of wire mesh. This is light years ahead of that. The revolutionary part is that it's user controllable in real time. You and three friends can each manipulate one part of the visualization in real time. Play with your music. Sounds cool to me.

I am now officially sold on the 360. ***leaves to pre-order***

5. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

To each their own, I guess.. I'd rather play games, but that's just me.

***leaves to pre-order Revolution*** ;)

20 years of free, downloadable games, in addition to new, cutting edge ones.. ahh..

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Struggles? It struggles on my 500 MHz Pismo, true...

Sorry, the ability to control squiggles and visualizations seems a gimmick to me. Doesn't help gameplay.

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

iTunes has never struggled on my PowerBook, even in full screen mode with all the options on. That visualizer doesn't look like anything too exciting. It looked like the same circular thing in the center of the screen for most of the song. What makes it so exciting? I remember the GUI on my Sega Saturn, now that was awesome in its day.

8. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

Who even cares about that crap? I'm buying a PS3 anyway and I'm sure Sony doesn't waste time and R&D with that useless junk. I just want to play games.

9. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

The key here is interactive. This has never been done before.

I, for the record, am most excited about the Revolution. However, I don't expect to see a working model until late 2006. The 360 will be here in 5 months. PS3 looks cool, but I am waiting on a price.

This is a good idea for a game system. The xbox 360 just replaced my component CD player, which solves my problem of 'where to put the thing'.

Widescreen HD + 5.1 Dolby + interactive Neon visualizer + Tool's Lateralus + mind altering substance(s) = fun^n, where n=ability to enjoy a good product, even from M$ ;)

Edit: on the struggles bit, what is your average fps with iTunes running visualizer at full screen. My X800 Pro is ~ 55 fps (PC), my GeForce 2 MX is ~25 fps(mac). And it's not interactive...

I'm a musician, I guess that's why I'm excited about this.

10. lazyboy922 macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

I cant wait to spend $300 to play with a visualizer with my friends!!! We can listen to the "Titanic" soundtrack while we play!

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I think you're off on release dates. Nintendo said the Revolution will launch in the same timeframe of the PS3, which is looking like early to mid 2006, not late. Nintendo also said they'll reveal the Revolution completely before the year is over, and Nintendo Power says they'll have all the info on the Revolution in an article in November 2005.

12. benpatient macrumors 68000

Even though this is true (full screen 1280x1024 on my dual 1.8 G5 runs about 45fps average at best), it isn't exactly a big deal. iTunes has, to put it mildly, one of the least impressive visualization systems in an audio/video player available. Open up WinAmp on a 1.5ghz PC with an nVidia 4400 graphics card and download some of the cooler music-sync'ed visualizations....60 fps isn't hard to reach with full hardware optimization, real-time and at higher resolutions than will be necessary for the 360's purposes. Beat-synchronization and BPM detection algorithms have gotten pretty advanced, and adding "user interface" capabilities isn't much of an advance. We're talking about a visualizer just like modern (PC) ones that you can poke at with an analog stick...it's not exactly a revolutionary concept. And not exactly something I want to do for more than 5 minutes in my life.

If that. But to each his own.

13. sambront macrumors newbie

Are you kidding me? Do you really think Nintendo is going to give their entire library out for free? Of course not! There will be a charge to download the older, emulated games.

And also, you realize that only Nintendo is making their library available, and that third parties will have to release their older games on their own?

Just getting you ready for dissapointment before you go pre-order that thing.

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Did you completely miss the thread?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=129845

All Nintendo NES, SNES, and N64 games will be free to download, and all Revolution Nintendo games will have free online.

Third parties will choose whether or not to charge for their games. But all Nintendo games are free. So whoo.

15. natehan macrumors member

natehan

I'm just glad ps3 is being released much later, so I can get the xbox soon and have time to save up for the ps3. Anyway, I hear that Halo 3 is going to be released on the same day ps3 come out. Can anyone verify this? If this is true, I'm going to be spending a lot of money that day...

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Rumor. J. Allard's comment: "We'll release it when its ready."

17. sambront macrumors newbie

Sorry, don't think so...

There is no way in hell Nintendo is going to release their entire NES, SNES, and N64 games for free. That would be financial suicide. Everybody would buy the system, and then just use the Revolution as an emulation box. Gaming companies make money off software, so releasing a box for (hopefully) $200, and then letting people download hundreds of games means less sale of next-gen hardware.

What I see happening is you buying "Metroid Cubed", or whatever, and then being able to download all of the NES/SNES Metroids as a bonus. But you're still buying the Revolution game for (hopefully not) $60...not exactly what I would call "free".

But spin it however you would like, I guess.

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You're making the assumption that Nintendo follows the same business model here.

Microsoft takes a loss to make up in software (and failed horribly). Sony makes a tiny loss/breaks even to make up in software.

However, Nintendo NEVER sold their system for a loss. Only one quarter did they sell for a loss, and that was when they first dropped to $99, but only for one quarter was it a loss. Even at launch the GameCube made a profit. As did the N64, SNES, and NES.

Nintendo will make profits on every system sold. They will have all Nintendo games freely downloadable to encourage you to buy the system...BUT...the third party games won't be downloadable, so you'll probably have to buy the third party games to get those as part of a rewards system.

19. sambront macrumors newbie

Hope you are right...

Well GFLP, I hope you are right. I don't see it happening, but hopefully in 6-8 months I'm back here eating my words.

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Well, hey, it could turn out to just be one big misprint, but...

It would, IMHO, be a brilliant move on Nintendo's part. They're still extremely profitable but marketshare has been declining. This is "playing their strengths"- providing something NONE of the other console manufacturers can do. They'd be providing hundreds of free games, which gives people an initiative to buy the console just for that even if they have another console, meaning the marketshare should rise rapidly, and once people have the console they will buy the killer app games.

21. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Altogether all us Brits:

HAIL JEFF MINTER!

If the Jaguar CD version of the VLM is anything to go by the xBox version should be sublime.

22. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

That's a really pretty visualizer. I wonder what Sony and Nintendo will counter with?

Of the three, I'm still least interested in the Xbox. Mine just sits there now, with my PS2 and Gamecube seeing about equal play time.

Of course, I don't think it will matter in the end, I don't listen to music with any of my consoles now. I invested in a home theater/audio setup, so my tunes go through it.

Do any of you use your consoles to play music?

23. XboxEvolved macrumors regular

Yeah it is pretty cool. I saw it running in realtime. A nice little trick, but clearly not the core of the Xbox 360. I am far more interested in all the sweet games coming to the console.

24. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Well, look at it this way - at the moment, Nintendo isn't making any money off those NES, SNES and N64 games (that I'm aware of); and as the next gen consoles go, Nintendo is firmly in third place as things stand. If - as you say- lot of people buy the Revolution for the legacy games, this could work very nicely for them. A nice early boost for sales to encourage 3rd party developers, and greatly increases the game library available at launch. Once gamers have the console, that's the crucial foot in the door.

25. PeterQVenkman macrumors 68020

Only Nintendo Games are free

Read the Nintendo guy's quote again:

NINTENDO MADE games will be free. Looking for Final Fantasy 3 or Chrono Trigger on revolution? Square will have to do it.

Looking for Metroid? Sure thing.

Still cool, but not as cool as making everything free. That would have been bad ass.