New XRAID

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by evoluzione, Jul 19, 2002.

1. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    So apparently in the next couple of months (can't remember exactly when) Apple will release their XRAID. I don't know if any of you have heard of this, or if it is indeed labelled as such, but, it will follow the same looks as the XServe. It will however be a 3U configuration (not a 1U), housing (I think) 14 ATA drives, mounted on their sides, not flat like the XServe. And it will be hardware RAID, unlike the XServe which is only software. Sounds tops to me.

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

3. Mr Jobs macrumors regular

No not apparently, definitely, this product was already announced and shown by steve when the xserve was released. It not called an xraid though it still be called xserve raid.

4. The_Mac_Man_02 macrumors newbie

It is going to be called XRaid

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

xRaid

Kills windows bugs dead (because you have an environment where they cannot survive when you switch to an Xserve :)).

I hope to be able to put one of the Xserve and Xraid arrays on the purchase list for next year for the company I work at. It would be kick ass to have one of those configured and filled with 120GB hard drives (unless they make them able to use all the room on the 160GB drives). With all the bays filled with 120GB drives, it would have 2.1TB of storage in all of 4U. :eek: :D

I better have a mop and bucket ready if my request gets approved, as well as a few towels for when it is setup. ;)

6. Paolo macrumors regular

a mop and bucket

I don't get it... why would you need a mop and bucket....

THIS IS MY 100th post.... woohoo

Wasn't it insightful... I'm now a regular... I think. YAAAAAH

7. APPLEP58 macrumors newbie

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I've heard it called Xserve RAID...and it was already discussed in the Xserve announcement, just like Mr Jobs said.

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Wow, cool...did you make that yourself, or did you steal from Apple's "secret archive"?:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

10. mmcneil macrumors regular

XRaid/Xserver

Anyone know what level RAID it will support? :cool:

11. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Apple needs to advertise the xServe... dell is advertising their cheap-a$$ servers on TV, and Apple's xServe's are more powerful than similar priced dell models, and they look alot cooler...

12. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

Nobody is going to buy that thing until they do a better job of marketing the OS. Apple has done a miserable job marketing OS X. Most techies (especially Windows administrators) have no idea that OS X is so fundamentally different from everthing Apple has ever done. They have no idea it embraces so many industry standards and open standards, and the probably have no idea it's basically a UNIX server.

This thing is going to do a big belly flop (like it has been) until they market OS X. Time to actually spend some of that $4.3 billion.

13. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

From the link posted by Rower_CPU:

"Apple plans to follow up with a mass storage device known as Xserve RAID, which it has said will ship by the end of the year. "

14. Mr Jobs macrumors regular

15. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    From what I can remember, it'll definitely support RAID 5, not sure what else mind