New Year's Eve: Your plans and resolutions?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

So. Here we are almost on the cusp of a new year so I just gotta know:

• What are you doing on New Year's Eve?

• And what resolutions or plans have you laid down for 2007? What do you want to achieve next year?

Me? I've had two invitations to friend's places on New Year's Eve both of which will involve drinking and partaking in other recreational pastimes. I'm not sure if I'll go to either though. Will make my mind up the day before.

Resolutions and plans? To save a lot of money towards surgery; I'm even going to sacrifice my previous plans to buy a Mac next year. It's that serious. :eek: :D

I'd also like to lose about 5-6kg (nearly a stone), do some career-based training, pick up a 2nd job somewhere, and spend some time doing up the flat. Fairly boring, but realistic, I think.

OK, spill the beans.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Plans for 2007:

Build a theremin
    Start acquiring parts to build a bass with a HipShot Tremolo.
    Sort my life out

Resolutions:

Try to be better with money.

3. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Will someone ask her what she means by "surgery"? :eek:

4. bartelby macrumors Core

Why don't you ask BV yourself?:confused:

5. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

surgery |?s?rj?r?| noun ( pl. -geries)

1. the branch of medicine concerned with treatment of injuries or disorders of the body by incision or manipulation, esp. with instruments : cardiac surgery.

2. such treatment, as performed by a surgeon : he had surgery on his ankle.

6. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I'm either going to a friends house party in Sheffield, or just going round the corner to the pub. NYE is the most overrated night of the year. I really don't get what there is to get excited about :confused:

My resolution is to spend more time in the pub. And invade Poland.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'll be in Chelsea on New Year's Eve (Mrs Skunk is leaving this afternoon to stay with her sister in Milan for a week), as it happens. :)

Resolutions-wise, it's going to be a biggie this year. No more smoking, for a start.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That's clear enough. :D

9. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Woah. Good on you. :)

10. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Ew. If you talk to girls you get cooties. :(

11. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I think I'll be going to a friend's place for a BBQ/party for NYE. Might end up heading into the city to see the fireworks for the benefit of a few relatives from Poland that are visiting at the moment, then find somewhere to have a few drinks. Nothing too exciting.

As for new year resolutions:
    - Start going to the gym again to get into shape and hopefully lose around 10kg
    - Focus more on my uni work ie stop procrastinating
    - Make more of an effort to be more sociable with people at uni. This first year I didn't really make that many friends because I just kept hanging out with my regular friends from home.
    - Plan a trip overseas somewhere. I've been working full time over my summer break so I've been able to save up a bit - just need to work out what I want to do.

If I could adhere to those few things, I'd be a very happy person.

12. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

13. Queso macrumors G4

I shall be welcoming in the New Year in Wenceslas Square, Prague. I don't do resolutions, but like to have three big achievements at the end of every year that I can pat myself on the back and get all big headed about. Next year I'm planning to pass my CCSE & CCSP, get my Italian to a similar level as my Spanish, and pay off my mortgage. :)

14. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I will be seeing the new year in with a bunch of my friends and the girlfriend's friends - a bit of a party. Lots of alcohol and lots of jovial behaviour. Its my birthday on the 1st too so I should be a tad inebriated if all goes to plan!! :D

15. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

*Groan*

I can't be bothered going out, don't have it inside me to drink ATM, dunno why.

As for resolutions, I think we better with money would be a good one. To start, I also plan to buy a Wii in the new year. :rolleyes: :D

16. blackscooby macrumors 6502

blackscooby

I'll be working on a Customer site in Turkey.... monitoring our platforms. Not exactly what I'd call a fab New Years Eve at all and wasn't exactly what I'd got planned either !

Resolution
    Work less hours. Spend more time with friends and family who've been neglected recently.
    9 * 2 week site visits in 2006 to Istanbul :eek: Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the place... but really it's taking it's toll.

17. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I'll be working on my car restoration project on New Year's Eve.

My only resolution is to exercise more and lose some weight. I think that I can manage 15 pounds.

18. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

My wife and I will be watching all three LOTR extended versions, napping thru some of it, taking a break to walk the dog, eat the unhealthiest foods in the house, getting as lazy and fat as possible in one day. All this because it is on a Sunday and we can recover on NYD.

As for resolutions, I'm going to use the new treadmill more. I've already lost 25 lbs, I want to lose another 60 or so....

19. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Sex?

Anything to do with breasts and the enlargement of said items?

Everyone who read this thread thought exactly the same thing, so someone had to ask. :)

20. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

Shall be working through to 2 in the morning on the 1st January - never know might actually see a genuinely unwell child as opposed to my umpteenth earache in a child who was given calpol at home but then they didn't wait long enough for it to work, and is then totally settled by the time he arrives in the department. We toasted in christmas with diet coke and red bull and I don't think that the arrival of the new year will be much different.

Tip to parents - stock up on ibuprofen and calpol prior to holiday periods, we don't like acting as the 24hour chemist.

Resolutions:
    1. Exercise more
    2. Pass exams
    3. Have a better year
    4. Chill out and cheer up

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Fortunately, nobody has to answer.

22. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Milan sounds lovely! I've been to a few places on the northern part of the mainland, but never made it down towards the Mediterranean side. Sigh.... Hopefully, I can get the hubby to take me there someday (probably not soon).

Good luck on the quitting smoking! :)

Most likely I will fall asleep on a couch somewhere around 10-11PM on New Year's Eve. We were going to host a Murder Mystery party, but too many people were out of town so that's been postponed by a couple of weeks.

I don't do resolutions usually, but this year I resolve to get the baby weight off after she comes, and to quickly figure out how to budget her needs in when she arrives.

23. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

She'll tell you when you're failing, rest assured. ;)

Congratulations. :)

24. Wikindie macrumors newbie

I have a nice black tie dinner (no, not black thai) to go to, followed by a bit of Patrick Swayze-esque dancing. Should be fun... I think.

As for resolutions, I guess to stop smoking, spend less money, get fit, find romance and get promotion.

Not too much to ask, is it? :rolleyes:

25. Annndy! macrumors regular

Annndy!

Party at a friend's house, take a few friends home, pick up the girlfriend, then back to my house for a sleepover. Nothing too extravagant this year.

As for resolutions...well, I think it's time I got to work on my first novel. :cool: (No really.)