New Years in Anchorage, Alaska

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xsedrinam, Aug 27, 2006.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Has anyone spent Christmas and New Years in Anchorage? Or maybe someone who lives there could tell what it's like? I'm thinking of taking our family there for the last week of December. Airfare specials? Places to go or see? Restaurants, recreation and interesting things to do? Thanks.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Oooh, having no responses is a good sign. It means not many people will ever experience that.

Maybe you should be the one telling US how it's like on January 2nd. ;)

3. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

It looks that way. If all the snowbirds are in Florida, maybe we'll have the city to ourselves. :p

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Hey, I said it was a good idea, not that I would be joining you over there.

You're on your own. :p

5. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Man, that's cold. :p

6. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

No Alaska experiance, but my aunt lived in Juno for 8 months...now she lives in California (with a brief stint in Australia) and has never looked back. Something tells me it may be rather cold up there. Bring a parka! :D

7. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

All I know about Anchorage is that is where all my Apple stuff goes before making it to my home in New York ;)

8. akboarder24 macrumors member

My two cents!

I lived in Anchorage for 17 years and just moved in the past couple of years to Colorado. So anyways, 1st bit of advice, don't go in the winter, go in the summer, you'll enjoy it a million times more. Now that that is out of the way, here are some winter attractions that you'll love.

Restaurants:
    Anchorage-
    *Kaladi Brothers Coffee Co. (any coffee you get you must get it from Kaladi's, great roasts and awesome people.)
    *The Moose's Tooth (great pizza, fish tacos, etc.)
    *The Bear's Tooth (same company as Moose's Tooth, expanded menu, and also has a dine-in movie theater. Moose's Tooth Brewing Co. makes some outstanding beers.)
    *Orso's (little fancier dining)
    *Snowgoose Cafe

Girdwood (30 miles south of Anchorage)
    *Double Musky (rated as one of the best restaurants in the whole nation)
    *The Bake Shop (go in before lunch for a great breakfast)

Things to do:
    *Ski/Snowboard at Mt. Alyeska (in Girdwood, stay at the resort too, you will not regret it. They have a lot of activities down there as well.)
    *Sled dog rides/tours (look online or phone book when you get into town.)
    *Watch the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) if it's a clear night.
    *Snowmachine Tours
    *Ice fishing
    *Hike "Flat Top" but if it is cold, that's a very long and tiresome hike if there is fresh snow.
    *Cross-country ski. Endless miles of trails in the Anchorage bowl.

So in the winter there is not a lot of other indoor recreation, but if you want to stay warm, take some drives (Rent a SUV or AWD) north and south of town and enjoy the magnificent scenery.
    Any ocean activities are out of the question because it will most likely be iced over (unless you love scuba diving in 40 degree water.)
    I'm trying to think what else. In the winters everyone goes into their own little hibernation and unless you love the outdoors, you usually do indoor activities. If I think of other suggestions, I'll add!

Ryan Walker

9. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Great help, and thanks, Ryan. This is precisely the kind of information I'm looking for.

Schedule(s) and circumstances make it so that this is the only time slot. I know it sounds ridiculous, but we're actually looking forward to the cold and snow contrast.

Now, if we could just get Abstract to join us. :D

10. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Actually i just came back from a vacation to alaska myself.

Another great restaurant that he didnt mention is The Glacier Brewhouse, I had the best Pizza in my life there (sounds weird right?)
    Anyway, i would deffinately reccomend going in the summer, it was 40-50°F when i was there ~ a week ago, and that's cold for me, and it rained most of the time (but that doesnt bother me).
    I flew into Anchorage and stayed there for 1 night, and then i went to the HUGE town of Whittier:rolleyes: ;) (anyone who has been there will know what i'm talking about) where i took a cruise around Prince William sound. AMAZING!!!! we saw a bunch of Glaciers, whales, a bunch of wildlife, then we went to Denali National Park and went on a tour their, also amazing, saw a lot of bears.

I would reccommend going to alaska, just not in the winter, (i heard it gets to like -60°F in Fairbanks sometimes.

11. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I saw this thread and immediately thought -- is he planning an MR meetup in Anchorage for New Years? Cool! I'm soo there!

But seriously. Don't even tempt me when you're not tempting me.

12. reh macrumors 6502a

Unless there's just been fresh snow, Anchorage is pretty ugly in the winter. Nasty brown and grey snow, very dirty road spray if it's a bit warm... I swear I go through about a gallon of washer fluid just driving around town for a couple days in the winter. Oh, expect Anchorage to be pretty hectic around the holidays.