New Year's in August: The new diet & exercise thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by BaghdadBob, Aug 5, 2003.

1. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

We all know what the most common New Year's resolution is:

I'm going to lose the weight this year. I've said it a few times myself, but only over vanity pounds, like 15, which at my size aint all that much. However, over the last couple of years, due to changes in lifestyle (like going from working out multiple times weekly virtually without exception to hardly ever) and much greater abundance of good food, I've not only weighed the most I ever have in my life about six months ago, I've also been considerably out of shape for what I'm used to (in an athletic sense, not a CK sense...I've always been OOS in a CK sense).

I'll tell you what, I don't know about you, but my New Year's resolution never works. Having been a memeber of the same gym for a few years (but not currently) I can tell you a lot of other people's don't either -- the normal population of the gym doubles in January and tapers off very quickly as people realize this whole weight-loss thing is a lot harder than it sounds.

I've had some extra motivation to work out recently as I've been in the application process for the county Jail up here (it pays good) and the physical testing really made me come to a realization of how out of shape I am right now, and the process of training to meet the requirements has gotten me kinda excited to get back on the wagon. I've got a while to go before I find out if I have the job or not, but one way or another I'm hell-bent on getting not only into the shape I was in three years ago, but into the best shape of my life.

So I started this thread to discuss with like-minded MR members goals, workouts, diet strategies, difficulties, and motivations.

Getting into great shape requires lifestyle change -- over 50% of your athleic achievements are dependent on what goes in your body, and the other 50% is dependant on what you do with it.

So, if you want to look good for summer 2004 (assuming that's what motivates you) start now! Post your goals and strategies!

We need a synergy of moral support and hugginess!

I've got some wight-lifting to do before I leave for work, so I'm gonna talk about my own stuff when I get back.

Talk amongst yourselves! It's like butter!

2. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

What, no takers?

After all that "why america is fat" talk no one around here thinks they need to do any body shaping huh?

Fiyeeeene. Someone's bound to be interested somewhere.

Anyway, I ate like a big fat Jared today at lunch because there were free subs for no one getting their arms cut off by all our dangerous machinery for all of July. Woo hoo! Now for my delicious dinner of cottage cheese and pineapple that I was supposed to eat for lunch.....it would have been tuna and ramen otherwise...

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

We are not fat. We are just plenty hydrated. Don't talk about our American dehydration synthesis like that. :D

I never do New Year's resolutions. They take plenty of time to consider, and a difficult one can take more effort than you need to realize.

If you set a resolution, that means flat out: You have set a resolution. It means you have planned to do this, or begin to do this, at a certain time. You have to make the decision as to whether or not you want to fulfill this resolution.

4. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Whatever the people say about resolutions not working... count me in, Bob!

I am weighing faaaar too much currently. I was really shocked the last time I saw those numbers light up. I am used to weigh up to 220 pounds (100 kg) but now I have 110 kg... over 240 pounds! I need to get that off.

I had a good method becoming thinner once. I lost 20 kg that way. I completely changed my dinner. The only food I had in the evening is one kiwi (the fruit, yes) and one banana. Everything else in my food habits remained the same.
    In addition, I did lots of swimming. At least twice a week, for some hours. I was swimming like crazy. After three months I lost 20 kg, or in other words, 44 pounds.

If it wasn´t so unbelievably hot these days, I would go swimming again, but we currently have record temperatures here... 104°F and more...

5. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Yes! No New Year's resolution thise year. I say, if you want to do something about whatever you may not be happy about regarding your body, waiting until New Year's to promise yourself you're going to do it is absolutely nuts. Why not start now?

For those who will be in the "getting my summer body" mindset next year, it is very likely they weren't in their summer body this summer, but there's a sense of defeatism among some, and if you're not fit to be seen on the beach now, you'd better get going now or you're never going to get anything positive done with your body next year in time for beach season.

That said, the greatest short-term success I ever had (other than losing like 10 pounds in hell week...that doesn't count partly because I'm not 16 and couldn't do that probably ever again) was losing almost 5% BF over one month. How did I do it? Five small (400-500 calorie) meals a day -- which is good for the metabolism -- and workouts (cardio twice and weights once) before and after work which was very physical and in a hot factory.

The hardest part? Telling myself after a long day at work that I needed to go back to the gym. Totally a mental thing, very tough, but I have never felt better about my bod and more comfortable wearing a tight shirt than after that month. I need to get back into that mindset, currently my dicipline is being consumed largely by making myself eat what I'm supposed to (I'm a sucker for good food, so it's hard...).

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

My problem with structured exercise was always boredom, I get very bored very quickly, especially in a gym or on a run, even cycling gets dull quick.

I found that starting something that exercuses the mind as well as the body works much better, a team sport like soccer or rugby, competition games like tennis and squash work much better cos there's a social aspect.

However, most of theose games require solo training to reach a level of fitness required to play the games in the first place, so finding one that conditions as you practice seems to be the key.

I took up aikido 6 years ago, I weighed 14.5 stone, I was chubby to say the least, I'm now at 13 stone and lean with it, I reckon I'm carrying a stone of extra muscle. the thing is I have done no extra training other than the two or three sessions a week I regularly attend.

Socially and mentally a good martial art will engage you and condition as a result of the training, not because you need the condition first.

I think most resolutions fail in the face of boredom, and most people don't have the imagination to make regular exercise consistently fascinating.

Real fitness comes from a form of obsession, to get fit and stay fit you need to get obsessed and stay there.

7. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

1 stone = 14 lb. Nobody seems to use stones here in US.. Well, the weight seems soo much lower in stones. Be 10 stones instead of 140 lb, or 6 instead of 84 et...

I do want to be "more fit". I don't like eating and normally summer or winter, i swim a lot. Now my body's got so dry - on the skin - that i swim and am superdry for the next 4-5 days, and creaming all the time. i really like swimming but i can't go once or twice a week only to swim, that is more pain than no swimming at all. when i go, i want to go 5-7 days a week and every time swim 1-2 hours. i can't stand all the time grasing my skin, so i'm now just forcing myself to run and play soccer. :rolleyes:

8. job macrumors 68040

job

Swimming and running work wonders.

I do both at a competitive level. Recreationally, I find swimming much more relaxing as it puts less stress on your body.

I lift weights 4 times a week on my own, working most of the muscle groups.

I'm 6'3" and 160 lbs. And I feel fine. :D ;) :p

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

This summer all I did was go to work and stand for 8-10 hours a day (work customer service at the info booth at my Mall, and always happy to point people to the Apple store) and sit on my ass in front of the computer when I am home. I finally decided to do something to get into better shape and for the past two weeks I have been averaging around 600 situps and 300 pushups a day along with hitting a high of 1000 situps on my days off. I've managed to lose about 5 lbs. this month despite all the temptations of my mom's cakes, cookies, breads, pastries, etc (she has a lot of time on her hands this summer, too). I just don't want to go back to school to my girlfriend looking like a lazy marshmallow. How long will this last? I have no clue...but for the rest of the summer I seem to be dedicated enough, and my girlfriend being a vegatarian seems to help me keep away from lots of bad food during the school year, so who knows. I may get into shape yet!

10. frescies macrumors regular

Diet

You can get in Great shape... Even strengthen muscle... With Diet alone. Though doing so takes as much concious effort as physical effort used in regular amounts of exercise. To attain a light combination of the two is quite easy though. You can literally exercise less than 3 hours a week and easily do the rest with diet.

First, forget everything anybody ever told you about fat and calories. Calories IN minus calories OUT does NOT equal weighted gained. Nor does Fat in vs. Fat out. The only fat that your body stores from what you eat, are transfats (or transfatty acids). These are practically manmade fats that you can find in a lot of processed foods and man-made/fried junk foods. Real fats are more essential then vitamins as your body needs these fats to make brain tissue (60% fatty acids), organ tissue, and ligaments. Your body can easy process fat and digest it as well.

Second, accept that the FDA nutritional guidelines are WRONG.... In fact they are practically an extreme representation of malice. Our bodies are designed to utilize protein and vitamins, NOT carbohydrates. The belief that 60% of your diet should be carbohydrate saturated is horrible! You can see, however, where they got the idea, considering that the carbohydrate stores massive amounts of chemical energy. But unless you are spending at least 4 to 8 hours a day doing strenuous exercise, you shouldn't have that much carbs in your diet. Your body can actually make its own carbohydrates (glucosamine) out of protein... enough to sustain you just fine.

Your pancrease can only produce insulin TWICE a day at a healthy rate!!! Since this is necessary to break down carbohydrates, you shouldn't consume ANY carbohydrates more during MORE than 2 meals a day. If you do, your pancrease tries to work extra hard to process all of it... it wont succede.... and you put stress on your pancrease. This is why there is such an epedimic of Diabetes in the States (and in other parts of the world). All of the excess carbs that you don't produce enough insulin for is treated just like excess sugar and gets stored in your fat, flab, gut, etc.

Now I'm not saying cut out carbs all together. Just minimize them. If you like exercising (as I do), you will find that you will need some or you will feel like you have very little energy. So you could have the equivelent of a baked potato (no fries... those have transfatty acids) spread over 2 meals. Cereal for breakfast is bad as thats a horrible way to get your body going in the day. Take the sugar and the carbs, combine them and its the equivelent of taking 20 tablespoonfuls of sugar in a glass of water for breakfast, which isn't good for you. Right away cereal makes your body start working on processing carbs and balancing your bloodsugar, rather than managing your body fat, protien production, and tissue development. I'm not gonna go off about how horrible milk is for you, but maybe I will if someone asks (which I doubt will happen.... perhaps I'll be asked to shut up :D )

If you like, you can replace a lot of those carbs with fats. You do want to manage your cholesterol of course, but there are a lot of fat sources out there that are low in cholesterol. If you like to cook, use flax seed oil rather than your usual cooking oil.

If there is anyone out there, or has a child, who has been considered a potential candidate for a diagnosis of Bi-Polar disorder, ADD, or ADHD, changing their diet in the way I described above works wonders (the omega fats in flax seed oil, which can be found elsewhere as well, really help too).

Theres my 2 cents :D

11. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Yeah, what WinterMute said.

One of my big problems with doing cardio is definitely boredom. I wish I had owned an iPod when I was working out 5-6 times a week, I never would have missed a cardio workout.

One other issue with motivation in general is that when I started working out around 15 I had a workout partner, all the way until I was probably 19. Then, when my workout partners were less and less reliable I didn't have that synergy of motivation, and it took me a long time to start motivating myself to the extent that I was used to with a partner. Having a workout partner is great. When I was a sophomore in HS I was doing two-a-days at least three times a week with my workout partner. I had to walk over a mile to get to the gym in the morning, then three miles to get to school, then all that way back to get back to the gym (OK, we had rides about a quarter of the time). If I didn't have someone I knew would be waiting for me at the gym I probably never would have made it most of those mornings.

There are so many mental hurdles, you really do have to be a little obsessed to make it work, otherwise all of those things you don't want to do you won't, and all of the things you do want to eat you will.

I currently weigh a Bush album (*rimshot* :D ). My goal is to be about 205-210 solid...which means I probaly need about 15 extra pounds of lean mass, which shouldn't be too hard because my quads/hams aren't nearly as developed as they should be.