New Year's

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Anyone doing anything interesting this year?

I think its going to be a low key one for us this time around.

D

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm volunteering at my Church for an evening concert, "Let It Begin Here Extravaganza." This will be the 3rd year for my wife & I. Its our biggest outreach event of the year. We will arrive at 5pm Tuesday December 31st. A dinner will be served for the volunteers. An orientation & tour. It usually works out during the tour the we can see across to the Boston Commons for a great view of a fireworks. The display is for children, due an early night for them. The positions filled are 1) kitchen staff 2) security 3) greeting (inside & out) 4) ushering 5) CD sales & PSC information table 6) art exhibit hosting. This will be the 2nd year that my wife will be a team captain for the greeters. Not sure what I will be doing yet! For the concert were having NICO "soulful funk," arts ministry will perform 2 scenes from "Eve and the Tree of Knowledge", & Hanneke a scotch fiddler. Its a place for people to use the BR, get warm, have Hot chocolate & Hot cider, art exhibit, and the concert. The evening begins at 7:30pm and will end at 10:15pm. Then escourting people out of the Church and cleanup. This year their will be a "post party" for the volunteers to ring in the New Year. The MBTA will run on a frequent basis til 2am. If anyone is in Boston, please come and join us for the event! :)

3. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i am going to lay low since i have not had the spark in the last few years to go out late and see events or drink or go to parties

it's truly amateur night on the 31st

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I hope others on the forum will share their New Year's activities!

5. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    low key new years

gonna sit this one out...the whole family has a cold so we're staying home.

have a stack of movies to watch...i want to watch "the ring", the mrs wants to watch "adaptation"...so maybe a movie marathon tonite.

be careful out there...my parents were broadsided by a drunk driver on a NY's eve...they survived but it wasn't pretty.

3rd

6. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Re: low key new years

Are those already out on DVD?

PS:

I will wander the streets of Dallas with my digital camera and just hope I don't get pancaked by drunk Texans in their SUVs.

7. iGav macrumors G3

I was out earlier with my ex, with whom I'm having a suspicious feeling I'm falling for all over again.... but sssshhhhhhhhhh...!! Don't tell anyone!! heh heh!!

I'm off out in a mo, to enjoy some of Bulmer's finest and strut my stuff like I've got the fever till 'Big Ben' chimes it's merry way into 2003......

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

This year I helped decorate a Rose Parade float. Tomorrow morning I'm going to sit on the sofa, watch for "my" float, and feel proud of myself for doing a good job on one little section of glued-on eucalyptus leaves.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Doctor Q, what float did you help decorate, that way we can all be watching for your float? I know that you have a good feeling from you volunteer activity.

Our "Let It Begin Here Extravangza" has been cancelled due to a 16" water main break in front of the Church. Felt it was best for safety!
    :(

Now will spend a quiet evening with my wife!

Happy New Year all!!! :)

10. iGav macrumors G3

You're just missing a can of chilled Bulmers finest......:p

I take it it must be quite warm there then!?

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I helped mostly with a float that was a Conestoga (covered) wagon. It is the 5th to last entry in the parade. My personal contribution was doing the edges of the four wagon wheels, which are supposed to look like the metal bands pioneers would have over the wooden wheels. I cut silver dollar eucalyptus leaves off the stems and rubber cemented them onto the edge of each wheel. I hope it turns out looking good! The wagon is on a cobblestone road made of potatos cut in half, which is a great effect.

I also helped with a couple of less-visible tasks: wiring the small pine trees that are around the outside of the float to the float base so that they don't blow over, and crushing coconut shreds into fine bits to make snow for the trees.

When I was cutting the leaves, I happened to be near where people were filing by to see the float decorating and a volunteer was telling them about the float. It was odd to have people hold up their babies to see me and have them take my photo while passing by!

Happy Mac New Year everyone!

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Since my event was cancelled, I'm with the majority celebrating New Year's Eve.

Netscape Poll:

Where will you be celebrating New Year's Eve?

Downtown
    4%

At a party
    17%

At home
    79%

13. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

The wife and I decided to stay home this year. We usually do something if we can get someone to watch the kids, or we go up north to her parents cabin. This year, she had to work today, so we aren't doing anything.

Happy New Year, all!

14. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

actually, i will be the designated driver for a wine tasting party at the computer professor's house...and there will be cheese, crackers, and sweets

i told my wife of all the days to be drinking, this will be the worst since this is roadblock day for sobriety checks...oh well

wdlove, sorry your event didn't turn out

here in california, we will have a phenomenon called el nino, very warm winter weather punctuated by a 50-75% percent higher rainfall total

not a pretty sight since northern california is not prepared for floods like some other areas of the country or world may be

some say el nino came about through global warning, some say we finally paid our water bill to god (or mother nature) so he/she is letting us have our water after a seven year drought in the 90s...either way it will be warm and wet...a very strange feeling...lots of mold..he he:p

15. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Looks like we have a mayor dance party in the high way!

Right! as there is no gas the oponents to the goverment just announced a monumental new years celebration downtown. I may espect about 50.000 people.

I'll post the pictures later or I think I better bring my video camera.

Any way: check my new site www.hiperhouse.com

16. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Well, I'll be sitting around at home. The good news is that I can watch some fireworks getting launched off Pikes Peak at midnight.

Saddam Hussein probably talks in the third person.

17. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

YOU GUYS ARE SOOOOOO BORING!!!!!!!

I live in town, so I don't have to worry about driving which is good since I am going to drink, drink a little more, and then have another drink. There's a really good concert here tonight and it's also a "formal". Good friends, good show, good times.
    79% of you need to grab some friends, get a plan, and have some fun. The new year is supposed to be full of hope, not fear. Get a cab. Get a room. Go hang out and have some fun. Ring in the new year properly.
    Cheers! I'll have one for ya!

18. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    Re: Re: low key new years

nope, they're not out yet...academy issues.

ps
    spent many a new years in dallas..usually playing gigs..i vaguely remember a club dada one and another at the san francisco rose. and you're right to be concerned about those texans in their suburbans...horrible drivers. :eek:

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I hope you will post some photo's on the Forum for us to enjoy, should be beautiful.

Thank you Jeff for your thoughfulness!

SPG, there is nothing better spending New Year's Eve at home with the one you love, a wife! :)

20. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Off the top of my head, partying and then going home to have a threesome sounds better. Yep, that sounds a lot better.

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You don't know what you are missing! When you find that loving commited relationship then you will know!

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Well, not a single float had to be towed in the Rose Parade, and that's only the second time that's happened in the history of the parade. Obviously, the edges I glued on the wagon wheels of the float I worked on were the hit of the parade, and the crowd waited patiently to see them. Somehow, the judges missed those great rims, however, and gave their biggest award to the Rainbird float.

The Rose Bowl football game had its lowest attendance in years. Some people here were still deciding who to root for at kickoff time, so it was hard to get passionate about the game.

Unfortunately, the weather was great, the parade was great, and the crowds were great, so a lot more people are going to decide to move to already-crowded Southern California after watching us on TV. Since filling the tank on an SUV is expensive, maybe they'll all come in covered wagons!

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i believe that for our culture within the beliefs of the majority of the population in the usa

but what about the 80+ percent of the world cultures that officially have polygamy?

i know that during the spread of the major world religions, the character of the religion would change as it went from one geographical area to another

as far as culture goes, america's santa claus, not real...i know, is generally fatter than the one depicted in europe

in the culturally diverse area of california, one can go into long's drugs and find santa claus dolls of any race

but i wonder if a less diverse state, say south dakota, would have the same selection

so if i grew up in some asian, african, or middle eastern country that had polygamy, how would i feel about one wife? would it mean that i was poor and give me a low standing in society?

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

A reason to keep working, pay you Taxes!

Attached Files:

25. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i would support putting most of those people back to work and with the billions saved, come up with a national medical insurance program

rates have gone through the roof as benefits dwindle

i hope the new senate majority leader will be able to help us fix our nation's medical issues since he is a doctor