Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IceMac

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2002
Iceland
Originally posted by medea
I know Bjork is a big mac fan, so maybe an ad will surface in the future, Radiohead are mac fans as well but would they do a commercial....one can only hope. Sigur Ros would be great for the Iceland website, but sadly I don't think they use macs.

Actually.. Sigur Rós has like 3 PowerBook G4's.

and..

there are readers like me that understand Icelandic :)

That Einar Örn commercial contains a positive speech on how easy it was to set up a Mac and how his friends didn't believe him that setting up a computer was so easy and that he was already surfing the internet.

Santiago

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2002
Mountain View, California
Re: Translation Anyone?

Originally posted by dukestreet

Other Scandinavian languages are simillar, but Icelandic is closer to what the Vikings spoke, weird.

That's almost certainly due to the long history of a high literacy rate in Iceland, which would tend to keep the language more static over time.

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
Time Canada

Originally posted by G4scott
Must be new. It's not on the switch site, unless whichever broadcasting company aired it put it on earlier than they were supposed to... They might end up right next to Time Canada :cool: ;)

Don't be so hard on Time Canada, it wasn't just them. I was flying out of LAX Los angeles international airport 2 days before steve's keynote, and the bookstore in the terminal had copies of TIME magazine with steve and the new iMac on the cover for sale. Was I the only one who saw that ? I knew about the new iMac 2 days before even time canada posted it.:confused:

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Originally posted by IceMac

Actually.. Sigur Rós has like 3 PowerBook G4's.

and..

there are readers like me that understand Icelandic :)

That Einar Örn commercial contains a positive speech on how easy it was to set up a Mac and how his friends didn't believe him that setting up a computer was so easy and that he was already surfing the internet.

Yeah I thought I had read that Sigur Ros used powerbooks, but when you go the the bonus part of their website for the new cd http://www.cdkeybonus.com/mca/sigurros/sigurros/gateway.php it's for pc's only and it says "your operating system is not compatible." I'm sure this was the manufacturers doing but if so Im surprised they didnt push for mac compabitlity. Oh and thanks for letting us know what the ad was about.

pathfinder

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Iceland
Rough translation

It's always nice to see how much people seem to know about Iceland. Only ten years ago if someone mentioned Iceland it was more like "Iceland, thats the North Pole, right?"

The store that is advertising the icelandic switch ads is not owned by Apple so I doubt it will show up on apple.com.

Anyway, here is a rough translation of what Einar Örn said:

My friends had been talking about how difficult and impossible it all was and hard to connect... So I just went to the store and bought a computer. I went home, connected everything and started to work, went on the internet...
I am no computer guy at all...
All of my friends said I couldn't have possibly done it all myself, I hadn't even called anyone, wasn't it difficult? I said no, it was no problem.
"What store did you go to?" I just went to the Apple store.
My name is Einar Örn, I'm a musician.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Re: Rough translation

Originally posted by pathfinder
It's always nice to see how much people seem to know about Iceland. Only ten years ago if someone mentioned Iceland it was more like "Iceland, thats the North Pole, right?"

That's funny, I thought everyone knew Iceland was green, and Greenland was ice. ;) J/K. My sister went to Iceland on vacation (she wanted to go some place "unusual"). She had a lot of fun, and said it was beautiful. The pictures she sent back made it look like a pretty nice place to visit.

Her only complaint was that they kept trying to serve her "American" food.

And yes, thank you for the translation. It looks like Apple is really trying to reach out to other countries than the US and Japan. Now maybe they'll do something about their oversees prices (excluding VAT, of course).

And yes, I love Bjork.

pathfinder

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Iceland
Re: Re: Rough translation

Originally posted by solvs

Her only complaint was that they kept trying to serve her "American" food.

I hardly think that is anything to complain about. Most traditional Icelandic food is disgusting, like sheep heads and testicles, shark and some food that is ridiculusly fat. Some of it is good but believe me, she didn't miss anything good. ;)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA

Wow, I'm really impressed, even more so that there are a couple members from Iceland here. Thanks for the translation!

Never been to Iceland (been to Greenland for a couple months though) but I imagine I'll go there since the photos of the place are quite impressive. I've almos made it there once with a friend but it fell through. I want to see some volcanos and collect some cool rocks - got a good collection of intersting stuff from my travels. My favorites so far are from Alaska - found a 10 pound nugget of copper ore, a mix of azurite, malachite but mostly chalcocite.

:D
D

sjonni

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2002
Iceland
Re: Re: Re: Translation Anyone?

Originally posted by crassusad44

Haven't seen any members from Iceland around these boards, but it would be nice to have a translation.
Although im a scandinavian, I only understood maybe six or seven words...

Strange that a switch commercial would surface from a country that only has about 300.000 inhabitants....

:D :D IIIhhh you are WRONG...Here I am and I have been here for at least 6 months.;) ;)

sjonni

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2002
Iceland

The store that is advertising the icelandic switch ads is not owned by Apple so I doubt it will show up on apple.com.

My friends had been talking about how difficult and impossible it all was and hard to connect... So I just went to the store and bought a computer. I went home, connected everything and started to work, went on the internet...
I am no computer guy at all...
All of my friends said I couldn't have possibly done it all myself, I hadn't even called anyone, wasn't it difficult? I said no, it was no problem.
"What store did you go to?" I just went to the Apple store.
My name is Einar Örn, I'm a musician.

If you can translate that then you can tell me what this means...komdu sæll og blessaður, hvernig hefur þú það. Kveðja af klakanum.:D

pathfinder

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Iceland

Originally posted by sjonni

If you can translate that then you can tell me what this means...komdu sæll og blessaður, hvernig hefur þú það. Kveðja af klakanum.:D

Ég skilja ekki íslenska :p
Nei annars, ég hef það bara nokkuð gott, er að búa til eðlisfræðiskýrslu.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Re: Re: Rough translation

Ég skilja ekki íslenska :p
Nei annars, ég hef <thorn>a<eth> bara nokku<eth> gott, er a<eth> búa til e<eth>lisfræ<eth>isky´rslu.

Care to let us all in this secret? Altavista doesn't have an Icelandic translater....

and what is the ' ©!=a©£ ' never seen that before?

D

sjonni

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2002
Iceland
Re: Re: Re: Translation Anyone?

Originally posted by crassusad44

Strange that a switch commercial would surface from a country that only has about 300.000 inhabitants....

I think this is done for one reason. In the late 80´s to early 90´s Apple market share in Iceland was well over 30% but was only around 5% one year ago. After Apple brought in the new line of PM PB and iBook and iMac the Apple store(in Iceland) could not keep up with demand and the market share keeps going up slowly. This ad is only a testimony that Apple Iceland is going to get the market back, and more.:cool:
We even saw Apple NY expo last june live on giant movie screen. If I recall right, vice PM of Apple gave us his greatings.

Chisholm

macrumors regular
May 31, 2002
Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Originally posted by dukestreet

I want to see some volcanos and collect some cool rocks - got a good collection of intersting stuff from my travels. My favorites so far are from Alaska - found a 10 pound nugget of copper ore, a mix of azurite, malachite but mostly chalcocite.

D

That's funny. I went to Manchester England last April...all I brought back was a brick. Heavy as hell. A very special brick though. It was from a night club New Order opened back in their day called the Hacienda (sp?).

Sad huh?

cheers!:p

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
Re: Re: Re: Rough translation

Most traditional Icelandic food is disgusting, ...

Yeah, I got that impression when one of my Icelandic friends that I met in NYC said "Hey, you should come to my place and I'll cook you some traditional Icelandic food. We get the fish and boil it in a pot." -- hmmm

I spent three days in Iceland a couple of years ago but I don't remember eating anything - my host Pali made sure I was drunk most of the time!

I didn't know anything about Iceland until I saw Cold Fever except that the Sugercubes were from there.

i_b_joshua

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
now back to the thread...

we should be talking about the NEW YO-YO MA SWITCH AD!

so, i do not want to be critical but my day is not starting right.

so here is my critical point:

yo-yo ma should use some anti-perspirant :D

it would seem that apple "tortured" yo-yo ma to say those things, since he got sweaty armpits....

or again... :)

Chisholm

macrumors regular
May 31, 2002
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Re: now back to the thread...

Originally posted by redAPPLE
we should be talking about the NEW YO-YO MA SWITCH AD!

so, i do not want to be critical but my day is not starting right.

so here is my critical point:

yo-yo ma should use some anti-perspirant :D

it would seem that apple "tortured" yo-yo ma to say those things, since he got sweaty armpits....

or again... :)

What the hell are you talking about? Are you sure you were watching Yo-Yo Ma?

MacCoinnich

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
Portland
It's funny that the Yo-Yo Ma ad should debut during The West Wing, as during the second series he was featured very heavily in one episode.

*Excellent show*

chubakka

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
DE LA SOUL on the Mac Brain

I love those guys! The "coolest" endorsement yet...

Jennifer, Oh Jenny...

guifa

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2002
Auburn, AL
Icelandic switch ad?

I'm not too fluent in Icelandic (okay, I only know two words off the top of my head: boðull and Íslenska) and can't find the page with the ad. Can anyone give a more direct URL?

And...why is there all this talk of Björk? I don't know anything about the artist in the switch ad, but I do know that several Icelandic people I've talked to have said they don't consider Björk an Icelandic musician, rather a musician who happens to be from Iceland (partly because she sings only in English). This mainly coming from one of the four or five main guys who go around translating every application imaginable to Icelandic to preserve the language.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.