New York City Proposes Raising Minimum Age for Cigarette Purchases to 21

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SilentPanda, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/23/n...sing-minimum-age-for-cigarette-purchases.html

2. macrumors 68000

VulchR

This is a good idea. The older the age of first exposure, the lower the likelihood of forming an addiction. If it passed it should be enforced ruthlessly, treating anybody providing minors with cigarettes as drug dealers.

3. macrumors 68040

tigres

They should ban large drinks too while they are at it.

;)

IDK, you can go to war at 18, vote at 18, drink @21, smoke @18. Not sure what all the different age requirements are trying to suggest.

4. macrumors 68020

T'hain Esh Kelch

Agreed, an excellent idea.

5. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Good grief, is there no end to the nanny state in NYC?

6. macrumors 6502a

It's better than nothing, but why don't governments stop the sale of tobacco products outright? Is it the taxes or the power of the tobacco companies?

7. macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I don't smoke cigarettes and never have but seriously...

I don't understand the want/need to restrict every little thing. Smoking at 18 does not hurt anyone but themselves so let them be idiots if they want to. Yeah, yeah, second hand smoke and all...

8. macrumors Core

MacNut

Is 18 the legal age of adulthood or not. We need to stop picking and choosing. That said I would be for just banning cigarettes all together.

9. macrumors 601

Don't panic

there is no reason there should be any age-restriction above the age of 18.

it's fine to decide that some things are 'adults' prerogatives' but when they are they all should kick in at the same time.

10. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I don't like smoking but thats overboard. Its not going to stop 18+ from smoking, they'll just get it somewhere else.

11. macrumors 6502

lannister80

Maybe they should raise the age at which you can go into the military...no wait, scratch that, then no one would join...

12. macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

Tobacco is significantly more addictive than alcohol, so to me it makes sense that it should have at least the same minimum age.

13. macrumors 603

thekev

I hate smoking, but I'm not sure what you really get out of staggering age requirements like this. I don't think it would be easily enforceable.

14. macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

They are difficult to enforce on the individual level, which is why usually the emphasis is on stores. Stores caught selling alchohol or tobacco to the underaged can be fined.

15. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Agreed.

I think it is fair to say that has failed for other drugs ;).

16. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I can see it now. The War on Cigarettes. Thousands of chain smokers sent off to the pokey for selling Marlboros in a back ally.

17. macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Wb when they get cancer and need to go to hospital? It probably works differently in the U.S, but in countries where hospitals are government funded the cost of smoking would be passed onto the taxpayer.

18. duneriderltr450, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

image.jpg

In before the high capacity cigarette pack ban. "No one needs to smoke more than 7 cigarettes a day."

19. macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

Would never work.
    Huge industry behind it.
    Prohibition doesn't work.
    Didn't work with alcohol, doesn't work with the drugs we ban today.

I'm for legalizing all drugs. Addicts aren't criminals.

20. macrumors demi-god

Hugh

This won't stop people those 18 and younger (I just saw what looked like a 13yr smoking) from buying the cigarettes.

The stores here in PA are to ID everybody who buys cigarettes, if caught following the rule can get fine or license to sell pulled if it keeps happing. But I don't see the stores care, I still see people under 18 still buying cigarettes. :(

Hugh

21. macrumors 6502a

Seems reasonable the minimum age for buying cigarettes should be at least as high as for alcohol. Not sure it needs to be 21.

22. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

In the US the legal age to purchase alcohol is 21, so your comment contradicts itself.:p

23. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

There is an argument to be made though about the effects of second hand smoke on others. Most notably "Sidestream smoke has higher concentrations of cancer-causing agents (carcinogens) than mainstream smoke. And, it has smaller particles than mainstream smoke, which make their way into the lungs and the body’s cells more easily." (Source)

I don't smoke. Never have....never will. But I was behind a guy today at a red light and there was a pretty strong smell of cigarette smoke coming into my truck through the AC. So in those types of situations I have three options

1.) Turn off the AC (its been in the 80s here in GA lately....no thanks)
    2.) Roll down the window (let in more smoke)
    3.) Breathe it in

None of those are really good options and all part of something effecting me because of the decision of someone else.

24. macrumors 604

mrsir2009

...Because people never commit crimes to finance their drug addictions, do they?

25. macrumors 601

It would probably make them cheaper since the only source is no longer a dealer who also has to break the law and is probably more paranoid about being caught ..