New York City!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jakochampolska, Jul 4, 2006.

1. jakochampolska macrumors 6502

Ok, I know there have been LOTS of threads like this but I thought I'd make another one haha..
    So,I'm going to be in NYC between tommorow and august 1, and I dont know what to see/do. I know I'll be visiting the new apple store and a few muesems but what else is there to see? I know there is lots but I dont know where to start :)
    So any suggestions would be nice!

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I'll recommend to you what I recomment to everyone going to New York City - Dance! :)

e

4. semicharmed macrumors regular

The Met(ropolitian Museum of Art), the Museum of Natural History and the Brooklyn Museum of Art for sure.
    The Brooklyn Botanical garden is pretty cool, as is the Bronx Zoo and the Central Park Zoo.
    There are so many museums in the city, it's really just limited by what you're interested in. It would be easier to recommend things if we knew where your interests were- art, history, sports, etc- just because there's so much to do.
    There's the Yankees (and the Mets), some minor league teams, the NY Liberty (women's basketball in the Garden), shows- both on and off B'Way.
    It's really only limited by what you're interested in and the money you'll have to spend.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Too many free concerts going on right now....check online...always something to do.

Bless

6. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Personally the only "tourist" thing I've ever done in NYC is going to the Top of the Rockefeller which was actually pretty amazing. It was during Christmas time and the whole city was lit up and it's amazing to see it from that high. They do have all these plexiglass panels up to keep people from jumping off there and they are a bit obtrusive especially when trying to take pics but I guess they are necessary heh.

I usually just enjoy the city by roaming around, going shopping, eating everywhere, drinking heh. I don't consider museums to be touristy. I haven't been able to see the new Moma in person but it looks amazing in pictures. Definitely check out the Guggenheim and everything else semicharmed listed. Also instead of wasting money on cabs you should take time to learn to subway system. It's actually very easy to learn and is plenty safe. Keep a little map in your bag or pocket and when you need to look at it go into a bathroom. Also don't even look at the people trying to force flyers on to you or the people bumming for change, just keep walking.

7. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Try the empire state building. the slats in the fence are large enough to fit a camera lens through. It's a pretty big rip off though, something ridiculous like $12 for the elevator ride.

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

9. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Be prepared to do a lot of walking. The Met is nice, and after that go to Central Park, which is right next to it. Central Park is amazing. Hey, and then go to the 58th Street Apple store while you're in that area.

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I'd stay away from both these places. Soho is fine on a weekday, but on the weekends it is tourist city and no fun.

Times Square is magnificently commercialized. I don't know, I don't think there's much to see there. I wouldn't go there if I were you.

There's much better parts of the city - Greenwich is really nice. Union Square, which is at 14th and broadway, in Greenwich Village is a lot of fun. Tons of street performers. Lots of cool stores. Not so touristy, not so commercialized.

The lower East side, East of SoHo, is a great area of town. I'd stay east of bowery, and close to houston. Lots of cool shops and people there.

e

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Times square is a necessary experience, whether or not it's commercialized or touristy.

SoHo is a matter of choice...I like the atmosphere, personally.

If you want to walk by the water, check out Battery Park, as well. It can be nice.

12. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Circle Line ferry. Either 2 or 3 hours, and you can go at night too. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
    And got sunburnt.

The Metropolian Museum of Art - simply brilliant place. Very nearly knocked The Natural History Museum (London) of its top spot IMO, and I could spend hours on the roof terrace, sitting right on the top on Central Parks tree canopy. Some fantastic views to be had.

Central Park itself - haven't been in a park to rival it. I spent around 3 afternoons there chilling out in the various bits. You need to take some time to see it all... it is that big.

And Freeny's suggestion for food was spot on... City Crab. You can walk in without a reservation, and the food is fantastic. Actually features in the latest American Express (or is it American Airlines?) advert over here...

There are plenty of other places and things to suggest... Staten Island Ferry (free) Liberty Island (waste of time IMO - the circle line ferry does the job for you) Empire State, Times Square, MoMa, New York Library... there is always something you'll miss doing as there is so much on offer.

13. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Staten Island Ferry is kinda cool. When in lower manhattan also take a look at ground zero. You can see it from the WTC subway stop.

Take the subway. NYC isn't NYC without the subway. You'll probably see a few street performers in there as well. Some who are actually quite talented.

Central park is huge, bigger than some countries!

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

what makes you say that?

e

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

True, I enjoyed visiting Times Square on my last trip to New York City. :)

16. minimalistic macrumors regular

I agree with OutThere, Time Square is a must for outsiders, you can just go visit, there is no need to buy anything ;)

Also, if you are into Theatre, go see something at Broadway, last time I went they were playing "The Producers", with Matt Broderick.

17. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I'll second the staten island ferry as a great ride, cheap and gives you a great view of the skyline, the statue of liberty, etc

take the subway across to brooklyn and walk back across the brooklyn bridge (watch out for speeding bicycle riders tho)

The tenatment museum is a gem of a museum....it'll give you a good view into the life of working people from a hundred years ago

a walk through china town is interesting too

the natural history muesum and the Rose planatrium are also good alternatives to art museums

18. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

because it's an integral part of the nyc experience. it's a landmark that everyone knows.

it's not about bashing capitalism and tourism. face it- it's summer. it's tourist season and they want to see landmarks.

19. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

That makes me sad. I like to think of Times Square as not being New York at all. I think tit and tat who perform all the time at Washington Square Park and outside of the Met make NYC what it is. I think the Taxi drivers make it what it is. I think the quaint restaurants make it what it is. I think the nightlife makes it what it is. I think the person adorned from head to toe in glittery, colorful drag walking down 7th avenue makes NYC what it is. Times Square is totally unremarkable IMO.

Seeing a show is fun, and that'll inevitably lead you to the Times Square area, I'm not saying you should avoid it, although I probably would. But it's not an accurate representation of what makes NYC an amazing city.

e

20. medea macrumors 68030

medea

21. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

That's cute, but gimme a break- we can all name the cute and quaint quirky aspects of our cities, but if a tourist is making a whirlwind visit- i tell them to go see the white house, the monuments, stuff like that. the *main* aspects of the city.

22. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Just take a day to go around SoHo and then end it with voyage to the Magnolia Bakery. I did that for 4 days in the spring and still had new things to see.

23. Frisco macrumors 68020

Magnolia Bakery if you want to wait in line for an hour and experience a cupcake from 1985.

24. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I want to go back to NYC.

Go to restaurants you can really visit anywhere else
    Stage Deli
    Hell's Kitchen
    Mesa Grill
    Serafina

thats just to name a few