New York Cosmos campaign

Discussion in 'Community' started by dstorey, May 2, 2003.

1. dstorey macrumors 6502a

With the Liverpool FC thread doing so well (3 pages and counting :)) I thought I'd add another football (yeah ok soccer....) thread, this time with a meaning. Maybe not many of you's will have heard of them but they are even kinda famous outside the US and this is rare as no ones heard of any MSL teams. Anyway they sadly don't exist any more and New York doesn't even have a true team...

There is a campaign to reform the Cosmos team and it would be great of some people could support it, even though the web site is kinda out of date as it mentions 2002 but the principle is the same. The address is http://www.soccernova.com/html/activism/cosmos_campaign/cosmos_campaign.htm

Some info on the NY Cosmos taken from site and editedt o make it more up to date.

A team that had so many great players, so many fans, so much success, and such a vital role in the growth of American soccer should not be left out of America's soccer future. What would Major League Baseball look like without the New York Yankees? This was the team that saw the ending of the careers of two of the greatest players to have ever played the game in Pele and Franz Beckenbauer. We should not throw away such a great history, especially for a sport with such a limited history in this country compared to other sports.

No other American soccer team has been so successful. The Cosmos won 5 league Championships in 72, 77, 78, 80, 82 and not even the modern American soccer giant DC United can match that record. The Cosmos had a .641 win percentage in their fabled existence and were the glamour team of the 70's and 80's.

Not many, if any clubs from any part of the world, can say they had so many of the world's all time best players! Manchester United, Liverpool, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich would all be envious of these former greats: Pele, Franz Beckenbauer, Giorgio Chinaglia, Carlos Alberto, Vladislav Bogicevic, Hubert Birkenmejer, Roberto Cabanas, Andranik Eskandarian, Johan Neeskens, Werner Roth, Wim Rijsbergen, Rick Davis, Shep Messing, and many more. A modern day comparison would be to imagine a squad with Michael Owen, Ronaldo, Zidine Zidane, Rivaldo, Figo and Del Piero [ummm wait ok thats like real madrid almost...]

In the MLS 2004 season two more teams are going to be added to the league. It has been stated time and again that New York and either Philadelphia/Houston/Rochester/Milwaukee/Atlanta will be the expansion teams. We propose that the New York Cosmos should be the only New York expansion team.

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have a dog named Cosmos, he's a Petite Bassett Griffon Vendeen! He is a real character! :)

3. dstorey thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i never remembered them until you posted this thread, i certainly remember some great clips of Pelé playing for them though.....would be awesome to see them make a comeback, if only in an exhibition type role, i imagine like The Harlem Globetrotters, who have been saved from disappearing over the last few years. :)

5. dstorey thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think cryuff (or however you spell his name) used to play for them too. it doesnt mention him but i think i saw a pic of him in the famous white jersey. A place near mine (toffs) does great old replica tops, theyhave quite a few cosmos ones. I think this team would be great for MSL and NY, especially with the large football loving population of NY (irish, brits, italians, spanish, south americans) they could gget a big fan base i'm sure...and a local team for the lfc new yorkser to support....the main problem seems that some greedy guy owns the copyright for the team and wants a million to release it. A new team needs an investment of 25 mill too. wouldn't it be great if steve jobs invested and put apple logo on the big apples soccer team. The brand protential is huge with its history of players and protential fan base.

6. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    how cool would that be!?!?!

Apple in the Big Apple

what's his email address??? heh

yeah i remember TOFFS (The Old Fashioned Football Shirt company or something), they have had some top stuff for years. might have to get a cosmos shirt then :)

7. dstorey thread starter macrumors 6502a

i guess its steve.jobs@apple.com ;-)

there you go...everyone buy a cosmos shirt....hey i want commision - http://www.toffs.com/shop/scripts/listprod.asp?newgrouplevel2=Cosmos

I like the one second from top. It seems like they changed between green and white as their first strip, but i'm not so much a green person, though it does look kinda good as a cosmos shirt. I think they look great with the little number on the other side of the badge.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you for the nomination! ;) He would be most please to accept!

9. dstorey thread starter macrumors 6502a

as long as he doesn't.....no no i'm not introducing that to this thread....

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

He is very disappointed! :( He is doing his version of crying! :p