New Yorkers hate Wal-mart! Woohoo!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by princealfie, Mar 29, 2007.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

AP
    Wal-Mart May Never Enter Manhattan
    Wednesday March 28, 4:55 pm ET
    By Anne D'Innocenzio, AP Business Writer
    Report: Wal-Mart's CEO Says Manhattan Location May Never Happen

NEW YORK (AP) -- Wal-Mart, embattled by failed attempts to open stores in Queens and Staten Island, may be giving up on New York, or at the very least Manhattan.

In an interview with The New York Times, published Wednesday, Lee Scott, Wal-Mart chief executive and chairman, said that trying to conduct business in New York was so expensive that "I don't think it is worth the effort. I don't care if we are ever here," he told The New York Times at a meeting with editors and reporters on Tuesday.

But Wal-Mart officials quickly clarified that Scott, who in the interview made repeated references to "New York," was referring to Manhattan, and not the entire city.

"We have never tried to get into Manhattan and aren't sure we ever will unless the economics of the specific deal make sense for us. We would like to be in other boroughs if we can find the right arrangement, because we know we could serve those communities very well," said Kevin Thornton, in an e-mail response to The Associated Press Wednesday.

Still, Stuart Applebaum, president of The Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union, which is leading the charge against Wal-Mart in New York, said Scott's comments were good news for the union. The union represents 100,000 workers throughout the U.S. and Canada, including 45,000 workers in New York.

"They are going to find that no matter where they are in New York City, the response is going to be the same," Applebaum said. "New Yorkers will not tolerate their way of operating. Their promises of low prices come at too high of a cost."

Applebaum said that if Wal-Mart were able open in New York -- the nation's largest city -- it would mean that there "would be no place that would be off limits."

Patricia Edwards, a portfolio manager and retail analyst at Wentworth, Hauser & Violich in Seattle, which manages $9 billion in assets and holds about 42,845 Wal-Mart shares, noted that even if Wal-Mart writes off the New York area, she doesn't see it as a big financial blow.

"There are a lot of retailers that do quite well and they are not in New York," she said. While she said there's certainly a huge demographic base, stores face high property values and shipping costs.

Union-backed critics in New York and elsewhere have waged a fierce campaign against Wal-Mart, asserting that the retailer's wages and benefits are so modest they drive down pay and benefits for many of its competitors and force employees to go on state-funded health care plans. Wal-Mart has denied union claims, asserting that it creates jobs and raises the standard of living for many residents with its low prices.

The campaign by union-backed groups in New York clashed with Wal-Mart in its failed attempts by to open stores in Rego Park, Queens in 2004 and in Staten Island last year.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc., whose sales growth has slowed in recent years, is looking to urban markets as the next frontier to fuel domestic growth. Those efforts have been met with resistance from labor and neighborhood groups.

Wal-Mart entered Chicago last year, it's biggest city, but only after the city's mayor vetoed an ordinance requiring higher wages.

In the interview with The New York Times, Scott said that the Wal-Mart store in Chicago has performed better than expected.

Shares of Wal-Mart fell 85 cents, or 1.8 percent, to close at $46.64 on the New York Stock Exchange.

GOOD JOB MANHATTAN! :D :apple:

2. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

They'll eventually get a store in there. Like the article says about Chicago, the store is doing better than expected. The free market is a powerful mechanism and people will not like to be told they can't have a low priced source of goods forever.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

At what cost though? I don't feel it's worth it and won't step foot in one of those hellholes.

4. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

Is this truly a free market? I hope that my fellow beings recognize that dignity is more important than cash.

We are smarter than what most people expect. Chicago got punk'd.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We did because our aldermen didn't come up with a better wage ordinance. If they had, we'd have no Wal-Mart here. By the way, guess where that Wal-Mart is? Yeah you guessed it- in a super poor neighborhood on the South side.

6. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

No kidding. I think that the rich Manhattanites would be shopping on Fashion Avenue rather than be seen in a Wal-mart. I'm afraid that even William Faulkner wouldn't get caught in one of those.

7. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Evidently millions of Americans prefer to shop (and work in) those hellholes or it wouldn't be as successful a chain as it is.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Did anyone else notice -- the article never actually says why Wal-Mart failed to open stores in Staten Island and Queens? The labor controversy is described, but isn't directly connected with any decision by any public body to deny Wal-Mart permission to build a store. Also, a careful reading of the article reveals that Wal-Mart hasn't even made an attempt at opening a store in Manhattan, and that the issues are described by Wal-Mart as economic, not political.

9. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

They can't be doing too badly - they're spending 3 months completely remodeling the store here. My guess it's an attempt to make it look more like the Target up the road.

As much as I don't much care for them, they're the only game in town for two poor students like myself and the little woman. Although in the months when money isn't quite so tight we shop elsewhere.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And no one ever lost a bet underestimating the intelligence of the American people.

Just because it's popular, doesn't mean it's good.

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i wonder if walmart will ever make it here.. i haven't seen one yet
    and with walmart havng to give up the german market i can't even enjoy shopping there on a trip to germany

12. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Reality TV already proved that! :)

13. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

amen, amen!

14. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Man, you just can't beat the convenience of the local Walmart. That is why I say...I love me some Walmart :cool:

15. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Excellent!!! Too bad there are Wal-Marts here on Long Island. Hate them with a passion and I take pride that I've never stepped foot into one! (and never will)

16. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I have a personal dislike for Wal-Nut and am happy to see them get slapped. However, I am a little skeptical about this story. I think that if this mafia-union run city was able to get some cash 'under the table', the union people would be singing its' praises.

17. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

Headslaps himself!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad:

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Is it prefer, or is it simply they have no choice? How many jobs has walmart shipped overseas? How many of their serfs have any hope of decent health care coverage, retirement or job security?

When you enter a walmart you're abandoning the US.

19. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Ah, I love hearing all the ranting and raving about Wal-Mart. Being 10 minutes away from the home office may put me in a biased category who enjoys Wal-Mart.

If anyone here gets Showtime, the newest episode of Penn & Teller Bullsh*t was on Wal-Mart hatred. I already agreed with them on all fronts but still a good watch none the less.

back to the bashing :rolleyes:

jon

20. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I envy you for having such high economic standards. I use to be the same way until I was desperate for Valvoline MaxLife and couldn't afford Pep Boys prices.

It all started out with me thinking I would walk in there just to look and not buy anything, but when I saw that 5 quart bottle at a ridiculous low price of $10.88, I walked out of the store with the bottle in my hand. :(

21. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

I have the dignity to go to Costco at least! Praise be unto them.

22. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

It's kinda like a choice between two evils; on one hand I'm trying to get a break from the oil company's prices, on the other hand I'm helping to contribute to the economic demise of this country. I don't think I'm helping Wal*Mart too much though, because that's all I buy there is motor oil. I was buying Propel fitness water there too, but they don't keep it stocked on the shelves. So I get my Propel at Target; they always have it fully stocked.

Being that I change oil 4 times a year at $10.88 a bottle, that's only $43.52 a year going to Wal*Mart; if all their customers were like that, they'd go broke quick. :p

23. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

But why choose evil in the first place? Seriously, just walk the other direction. I haven't been to Wal-mart for about 6 years now.

24. t1937r0 macrumors 6502a

Slightly(?) off topic: haven't you knocked yourself silly already? :D

Back on topic: I hate all of the big box stores. Of course, my wife completely disagrees, and she does most of the off-line shopping. :(

25. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I bet all these snobby, self-righteous tosspots who deride people who shop at Walmart et al aren't single mothers on minimum wage with three kids. Don't get me wrong, I think the Walmart model is a very big step in the wrong direction, but I could never judge someone for shopping there. Not everyone has a lot of choice.

And as for those who want to boast about how little they go there...get over yourselves.