NEW YORKERS! Need to impress a girl... places to visit/eat in NYC!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, May 25, 2006.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

A girl is coming over this weekend, and as the title says, I want to impress her :D

So suggestions for places to eat and places to visit in the city? The big 'n' touristy places are good, but I'm more looking for the hidden gems, if you know what I mean. Of course fifth avenue, SoHo, Times Square, Central Park will be the obvious places to visit, but I'm more looking for cool places that not everyone knows about, if you know what I mean.

(she's not yet 21, so nothing alcohol-related... :))

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Beat me.

I'd take her down to Chelsea Piers - kind of touristy, but along the water, and not the "usual" thing most people do, especially if it is a nice evenign out. Really nice to watch the water and boats go by. Plenty of good places to eat, too.

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

Girls like Serendipity. Rent the movie. Go to the restaurant.

Get the Frozen Hot Chocolate.

Procreate.

5. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Please explain. :)

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Here you go.

7. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

Chelsea has wonderful trattorias and nice little shops and all the art you could possibly want to look at. It's not very touristy there and for NYC it certainly has a neighborhood feel to it. Oh, and if memory serves lots of places were cash only, to dissuage the tourists. But then again I haven't lived in Manhattan for 10 years and my last visit was almost 3 years ago.

8. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

YUM!!!!! I'm so going to New York just to try that. :D

9. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Procreate. Heeeeeeeeeeeehehehhehe.

10. iGary Guest

iGary

Oooh, we have two votes for Chelsea. :D

11. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Don't bother trying to impress girls. They see through that easily and it comes off as you trying too hard. Women, like the rest of us, just like to have fun when they're out so take her to do something exciting. If I were in your position, I'd tell her to bring her bathing suit and we'd try to sneak into a hotel pool like the Waldorf Astoria or something :p. She would definitely not forget that and while you guys are there, you can start making out ;).

12. lem0n macrumors regular

lem0n

Don't go to the Apple store, you will likely...
    1. gawk at all the Apple stuffs and forget her
    2. if she's not the electronic type she'll e bore out of her mind
    3. "oooh, this MacBook is so pretty, buy it for me?" *flutter eyelashes ;)

---> baaaaaad... why don't you both go pick some food in the supermarket and have a picnic in the park then go to the great lake inside and rent a boat *play French romantic music*
    Or just go to one of the museums, Sex Museum perhaps? :rolleyes: I'd die to go to NY now and go to the Anglomania exhibition at the MET... so if she's into fashion...

13. jakochampolska macrumors 6502

Seriously if a guy took me to do something like that, I would marry him in a heart beat. haha
    but it also depends on the girl, so some might like to get go get a frozen hot chocolate and stroll down central park or some like to break into a 5 star hotel to go swim in their pool. I actually would do both :D

14. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

lol. If we were ever on one of those hotel pool break-ins, and you pulled a ring on me, I'd drop my frozen hot chocolate and run out of the place screaming :p

15. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

*sigh*. The games people play. Why not just tell her exactly how you feel about her, and tell her that you want to impress her. She'll laugh, and you'll have a great time, there will be no awkwardness, and then it won't matter where you go.

All this **** drives me mad. Seriously. When I see things like "5 ways to tell if your husband is cheating on you". It's like yeah, #1. ASK HIM!!!.

16. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

robbin the cradle eh? Just kidding:)

Just give her my number and I'll show her a good time. hur hur hur.

17. zach macrumors 65816

zach

if she's at all a science-y type, and i mean at all, Rose Center for Earth and Space... it's sick.

18. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

errrr...

aren't you the same macgeek2005 who is asking all of us for "good luck" and "comments and suggestions" when you go to see your sweetie at a teen night?

sounds like the same thing to me...

chill out, partner:rolleyes:

19. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Since Lori hasn't suggested it yet, I'll make our Official New York reccomendation. Seppi's for Sunday brunch(pdf). I think the page speaks for itself, and my attempts would not do it justice.

On a side note, I've heard that Flames in Manhattan is a great steakhouse (this will be pricey). I've never been there, but I think Lori and I are going to go after the bar or maybe in Sept for my birthday.

20. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Smart man. And I'm not even a chocolate lover. *sigh* What a cute free-nothing-else-on-Saturday-afternoon movie. But the ice cream sundaes... *droooool*

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I would tell you where to go but.....i'm dateless at the moment. You know what check out central park....nice

Bless

22. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Blast! The hubby already gave my suggestion! :rolleyes: I'll second the Seppi's recommendation. Absolutely loved it when we went there. :) Mmm! *drool*

23. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

True! Don't try to hard. Just be charming and nice.

24. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

As far as places to eat, I loved the Union Square Cafe. Another great place is the Gramercy Tavern.

You should definitely check them out

Hickman

25. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Dude, that looks less like advice and more like ranting to me. Games are part of the whole interaction and women love it when you do or say things that have secondary meanings. Seriously, if he told her how he felt and that he wanted to impress her, she WOULD feel awkward and uncomfortable because he would have consciously brought the topic up. It's guaranteed to fail. Stop griping about games and enjoy them. Just assume that the girl is always totally into you and they'll begin to love your confidence and act that way.