New Yorkers, problems at Tekserve?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by emoin, Oct 1, 2004.

1. emoin macrumors member

Have any of you in the New York area had a problem at Tekserve? I brought my iBook there two weeks ago for data recovery, and although they said it would be ready in a week, and definitely no more than ten days, they're now telling me that they have no idea when it will be ready, and I "just have to wait." I was under the impression before this that Tekserve was the store in New York for Apple repairs, etc, and I trusted things would go smoothly... Has this happened to anyone else with them?

2. frozenstar macrumors regular

Never had a problem there. My friends and I all consider Tekserve to be extremely reliable. I'd say your situation is out of the ordinary.
    One time they offered to replace the scratched housing on my friend's iBook for free.

3. msbsound macrumors regular

Odd

Must admit, they have been near flawless for me. Used them prob about 15 times for a variety of things. I would say it is just a fluke for you, sorry. Maybe due to high traffic from back to school time? Bunch of NYUers breaking thier laptops.

4. vga4life macrumors 6502

Tekserve is the land of rude, crappy service.

The only reasons the Apple Store hasn't put them out of business are:

A. Tekserve has more 3rd-party stuff.
    B. Service is equally bad at the Apple Store.

Getting hardware service on a Mac in New York is like an experience out of Kafka, or maybe Olliver Twist.

"Please sir, may I have some more?"

[edit: to be fair, there are worse places for Mac service in NYC. I've had places flatly refuse to perform warranty service, for instance, even after being directed to them by Applecare - but I blame Applecare for referring people to them in the first place.]

-vga4life