New Yorkers RULE! You DROOL!

Discussion in 'Community' started by sonofslim, Mar 26, 2004.

1. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

sorry, i don't actually mean any offense to other locations. but the sun is finally shining here in NYC, it's friday afternoon, and i'm having a "city moment." (the good kind, not the kind where a crazy man pees on the subway platform.)

any other NY'ers want to get on the pride-wagon? i know we have a few others, and i'm interested to find out where everyone is located... i live in park slope and work on 6th between herald square and bryant park.

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

not from new york... but curious to see if there are more mets or yankees fans...

so im sort of hijacking the thread but not really :D

3. zamyatin macrumors regular

I'm from Poughkeepsie, NY. (Take the Hudson Line from Grand Central all the way north.) Unfortunately, I am living in LA right now. LA can't hold a candle to NYC!

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Well, I'm on Spring Break, and a couple of friends and I took a road trip to Chicago. After being at college in podunk Midwest college town, and returning to ghetto dirty St. Louis, being in a big city was really awesome! I can only imagine how cool it would be to get to NYC!! I can't wait until next summer when a friend will be giving me an internship in his LA based video production company.

5. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I like New Yorkers.
    My parents are both native New Yorkers.
    My Grandparents are/were all New Yorkers.
    I went to college in New York.

But the Yankees suck.

:)

6. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Somehow I thought that's what this thread would be about when I saw the title--Yankees gloating.

I'm glad you're having a fine Spring Friday. The weather here has cooled down from two weeks with highs in the 90s to a few days with highs in the 70s. Welcome relief.

And the Yankees suck.

7. sonofslim thread starter macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

highs in the 90s!? it snowed here last week.

and don't tell anyone, but... i prefer the mets.

8. Kid Red macrumors 65816

You actually get sun up there in NY? I'll go check outside to see if we get sun down here in Florida :)

9. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'm here in "The City", and it's quite nice out now. I love this place; can't imagine living in any other city, really. I will if I have to, but NYC is just great. Any of you that haven't been here before really need to make a trip out here sometime.

Mets rule!

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've enjoyed my visits to New York City. It's certainly the champ when it comes to nightlife. Los Angeles may have a few advantages in other areas, but we're too spread out to have the alive-24-hours-a-day feeling that New York has.

11. Dr. Zauis macrumors member

St. Louis is "ghetto dirty"?
    I've lived there all my life and compaired to other downtowns that I've been to(Seattle and Vancouver come to mind) it does seem dirty. But "ghetto dirty" is a little harsh.

12. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Got to agree with you on that one.

Its about 80 in good ole Miami at the moment. Although i do miss those days when it felt good to have the sun peek out for a little bit when i was back in CT. Guess ill have to wait till school is done and im home in May.

13. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

I have no problem with being proud of where you are from, but frankly I find the "New York Rules" attitude, the idea that somehow New York is better than everywhere else to be utterly annoying. It reminds me of the Texas thing. I mean there is one thing when you are proud of where you come from, but to rub it in peoples faces and to act like you are soooo much better?

Sorry if I seem to be over reacting but this is a big big BIG pet peeve of mine. To me its like the difference between Leno and Letterman. Leno is West Coast, laid back, not afriad to let his guests take the spot light, not afraid to make fun of himself or get made fun of. Lettermen is uptight New York style. Full of himself, thinks he's better than everyone, has to be the center of attention.

In fact the East coast vibe I get from places like New York and their disdain fr others especially those of us on the West coast, reminds me of the disdain you saw from Europe regarding the colonists in the early days. The we have been around longer, we have culture, we have style, etc etc etc, you are just a bunch of cultureless bumpkins attitude.

Be proud of your heritage. Be proud of your hometown. But don't act like you are somehow superior. Again maybe I'm being too picky, but really, all this I <3 New York, greatest city on earth, etc stuff just makes me never want to visit again ever.

14. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz, I don't think anyone here is saying "if it's not NYC, it sucks!" or anything like that. The last few weeks we've had some pretty crappy cold weather, and I think sonofslim was just happy it was nice outside.

I've found that most New Yorkers don't have the attitude you're describing... at least not the folks I typically associate with.

As far as Leno and Letterman are concerned, I have the complete opposite opinion of their attitudes. But that's just a matter of personal preference, I think.

Anyways, I hear Seattle is a nice town. I've never been there, but would like to visit someday.

15. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

So why didn't he make his title somethign relating to the weather, instead of opening up the can of worms in the first place?

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I truly enjoyed my trip to NYC for MacWorld in July '02. It's a great place to visit. We will see if Boston can compete in any way after this summer.

17. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Where New York is concerned, I disagree. I mean, it is the nation's capital in every practical sense except political. It is our country's flagship city. I don't think people who live there are inherently better, but I think they are entitled to a certain amount of pride because they are at the center of things, like or not. And I say this as a thoroughgoing West-coaster who has never even been to New York except on a layover, once, at JFK.

Now what you say is true of Southerners. But let's not go there. :)

Now who's picking a fight? Leno is a goofy, no-class hack. Letterman is a talented, inventive humorist who, admittedly, has been phoning in his interviews for a few years now. But he's still leagues ahead of Leno in talent.

Nowhere is this truer than in sports, where the east-coast bias has made college sports almost unbearable. On the other hand, I'm beginning to be a convert to the bias. Did you see how badly the Western teams rolled over in this year's basketball tourney? At least where sports are concerned, maybe we are worse. But you take it too far, too personal. He was only talking about the weather, using a colloquial expression of pride. Not something to get worked up about.

Chill out. You'll live happier. :cool:

18. isus macrumors regular

i just came up to nyc for a st. patty's day parade (im in the hs band)... it snowed... but yea, im gonna have to agree, nyc is friggin awesome.

19. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

See thats exactly what I'm talking about, how are they the nation's capital? Are the one of our premier cities? Absolutely, but you look at LA, Seattle, D.C. and I think they are just as impactful on this country if not more in some ways. In terms of economic impact all the major trade is happening out here in the west. Many companies are moving to places like Chicago for its central location. New York has wall street sure, but alot of the trading is being done over the internet, and other channels these days, the physical location isn't as important. Ok so New York has broadway, and hollywood can't match up to that true. New York is a fine city with a great history and lots going for it, but I just don't think its as amazing as people make it out to be.

You mean Washington who lost by 2 in a 102-100 point game? And its not just basketball. Look at football. 3 years ago Oregon was number 2 in both polls and didn't end up in the National Championship. OK, so what does a west coast team have to do? The only possible thing left is to be number 1 in both polls right? NOPE, USC was number one in both polls and STILL couldn't make it. That is the bias.

20. sonofslim thread starter macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

whoa! didn't mean to stir up the beehive... apologies if i came on too strong with the title. i totally hear what you're saying, Krizoitz. i'm not native to NYC so i've been on the receiving end of the "you drool" sentiment before.

it's just been so grey and blah lately. on my way to work that morning, as the train went over the manhattan bridge, for the first time in months i saw the manhattan skyline standing out against a bright blue sky. that sight always reminds me of the reasons i chose to move here. and, yeah, one of those reasons is that the people who live in new york get really excited about living in new york. sure, it comes across as an attitude at times, but i promise you it's born of a love for this town and not an actual disdain for other places.

honestly, i'm not one of those people who thinks new york is "better" than other cities or places. but that doesn't mean i can't get excited about it! i'm sure, no matter where any of you are from, there's a place or a sight or something in that location that always instills the same kind of local pride in you. i say, if you're feeling the local love... celebrate it!

of course, today it's raining again, so maybe i'm paying the price for any unintentional hubris in that title... :D

21. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

New York really is great.
    My sister lives in Santa Cruz Cali and goes to to Seattle often and she says it's awesome out there. I'd like to go sometime.

But the Yankees still suck.

22. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

NNeeevvveerrr!!!

:battle cry:

Anyhoo I was in NYC over the weekend...

I was in times square friday... when all of a sudden over 300-400+ bikers flood time square from everyplace... and they all stop and some get off their bikes!

They TOTALLY shut time square down for about 10+ minutes before the fire department arrived!

Not kidding, it was a sight to see...

it was something about 'bike for freedom' or something -- anyone know what I am talking about -- I'm certainly intrested.

23. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

A few years back in Seattle when the WTO talks where happening here a group of protesters, a large majority of which weren't even from Seattle, decided as part of their protest to try and block them from even meeting.

The police began to break in because they felt that it was turning into a riot.

Afterwards, the protestors tried to sue the city for violating their right to assemble. It didn't matter to them apparently that they were doing the exact same thing.

Nothing is more frustrating than people and groups who are so interested in their own cause but won't extend the courtesy to others...

24. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

No really...

That's all great! It's nice here in Vermont too.

But the Yankees really do suck!

25. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I also went to NY for Macworld 02'. I don't think I would want to live there, but it is great to visit. I remember being stuck in traffic and it was about 95 degrees with very high humidity... not fun.