New York's Hole in the Ground

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Aug 25, 2006.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

A lot of people attacked President Bush for the poor response by the federal, state, and local agencies in response to Katrina. I for one came away feeling like they all meant to do right, but just did a bad job (which wasn't too bad considering the failure to communicate). I don't feel like they went out of their way to harm NO.

Some guys like Ray Nagin should just curse God, curl up in the fetal position, and die. Really. I mean it. I really would love to hear about him spending the weekend at Sing-Sing. I mean..."That’s alright. You guys in New York can’t get a hole in the ground fixed and it’s five years later. So let’s be fair."?

New Orleans will never see another penny from me or my family.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Best thing one can do is to volunteer and help rebuild hands on.

I'm going in December.

Nagin is a tool.

3. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

When a city re-elects somebody that vile, I have no desire to help in any way. Similar to when DC brought Barry back in - I refused to have anything to do with the city until he left office.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

*shrug*

Not everyone voted for him. ;)

5. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

good grief...he really said that? I'm not personally offended by it, but out of respect for those who undoubtedly would be I don't think you should make reference to that at all.

and granted, you can't blame W for the weather, but you have to say that in the least the federal government handled the situation in New Orleans poorly...

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

"brownie, you're doing a heck of a job"

i will now read the article to see if the nagin quote is taken out of context.

7. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Or you can watch 60 minutes on Sunday. He said it in resopnse to the interviewer pointing out that the problems in New Orleans clean up, which I can understand what he was trying to say - that it takes time - but he chose to do it in a way that was entirely inappropriate.

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

just read it. yeah he's off. in fairness, he was put on the spot and has taken a lot of heat, so i don't blame him a ton for his poor choice of words. however, he certainly bears part of the responsibility for the lack of cleanup/rebuilding.

ahh well, politicians are idiots

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You're gonna boycott an entire city because a majority of voters (not people) have elected an SOB? That seems like overkill, but go ahead if you feel you must...

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Well, if you're going to boycott NO because of Nagin, shouldn't you be boycotting the US because of Bush? Just asking.....

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And Pennsylvania because of Santorum, and Georgia until McKinney leaves office, and Ohio because of Ney, and Colorado because of Tancredo, and Kentucky because of Fletcher, Texas because of Bush.....

I mean, seriously. What state doesn't have a god-awful politician somewhere in it?

12. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

It's not just having a bad politician. It's that the majority of the people re-elected somebody who clearly expressed his desire to create a chocolate city or got nailed for smoking crack and had the never to claim he was being set up...There is bad and then there is just mind-bogglingly awful.

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

bush attacking a country for no reason is mind-bogglingly awful to me

14. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

re: Barry/DC
    it says a lot about race relations in this country that so many people were willing to believe his claims.

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Oh, and Bush's desire for a fundamtenalist Christian utopia, alcoholism and inability to speak in complete sentences are excusable? Methinks there's a touch of racism in your protests.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

How about a guy who pardoned all his staff for wrongdoing before cutting a plea with prosecutors and admitting guilt for what amounts to nepotism?

Or a guy who's considered to be the next indictment in the Abramoff scandal?

Feel like going to their states?

17. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

When they make direct pleas asking for help, I don't think I will heed them either. If Nagin hadn't sought help from around the country, I don't think I really would have paid much attention to his rantings.

And as for racism? Ugg, if it makes you feel better, I've been annoyed with Nagin's babbling since I first read some of his comments post-Katrina. I say read, because until then I'd never heard of him, had never seen him, and race was irrelevant. And Barry is Barry - growing up outside DC, it was amazing to see how little he did for the city, how stupid he was, and then see him keep on winning.

18. seabass069 macrumors regular

First off, the qoute was taken directly out of context. He was comparing the size of the hole, from 911 to the enormous size of New Orleans. 5 years after 911 it is still in the planning stages for where the towers were located. Now, think abou the size of New Orleans. The mayor was right in saying that comment. Everyone wants New Orleans to back to normal. The ENTIRE city was underwater. It is going to take years for New Orleans to even somewhat get back to normal. The Mayor is pissed off that our government is not helping him and his people.

19. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

to Barry's credit (can't believe I said that)
    mayor of DC is the most thankless job in the world. The guy can't even control his own budget. Which I guess in Barry's case is probably a good thing...

20. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

I don't think people are expecting normalcy. I think they expect debris (like "flood-damaged cars in the street and a house washed partially into the street") to be removed.

21. iGary Guest

iGary

You know what's funny?

I sent the story to my rabid democrat step mum.

"I never could figure out why he got reelected."

If he was a Republican it would have been:

"What an arse, god damned Republicans!!!

:D

22. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

23. Desertrat macrumors newbie

What does all this "So's your old man!" stuff have to do with Nagin? The guy showed he is not any sort of competent leader, at the time of Katrina. Sure, he's a skilled politician, with the ability to con folks into voting for him, but he's already demonstrated his general incompetence in a time of trial.

Even his "Chocolate" comment doesn't matter. What's in context, here, is that his performance, and his senior employees' performances didn't match up to how the equivalent event was handled in NYC.

Even his rebuilding effort in New Orleans is a lot of "Wait for the feds!", as compared to what's going on outside New Orleans in those places which were hit just as hard, and, by Rita, even harder.

To me, Nagin will always and forever be better named "Schoolbus Nagin". It typifies the entire Katrina episode.

'Rat

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I guess calling him an SOB isn't good enough eh?

25. iGary Guest

iGary

What's your point? :confused:

Are you saying the citizens should be punished and live in squalor for their asshat mayor?