New York's Sixth Borough?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by cslewis, Aug 15, 2005.

1. cslewis macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2004
    40º27.8''N, 75º42.8''W
    Philadelphia has become the new destination for ex-Brooklynites, artists, musicians, and writers. The urban renewal process in that city has been growing in leaps and bounds, and Philadelphia is playing a new role as a bedroom community for New York City... so much so that many Philadelphians have nicknamed their city "New York's Sixth Borough". What is the macrumors community's reactions?
  2. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I'm surprised by this. Always though of Philadelphia as a city with its own character. It would be sad for the city to loose its identity.
  3. latergator116 macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    If Philadelphia becomes the new "it" place, I wonder what it will be like in ten or 15 years? Will it be so expensive that people will have to find somewhere else to move (like what happened to Manhatten)? If I were a resident of Philadelphia and was priced out of my neighborhood because of gentrification, I would be quite angry. I don't necesarily think it is bad that people are moving to Philadelphia, I just hope it will still be affordable to your average working class citizen.
  4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    There go my plans to move back to Philly. I won't be able to afford it.
  5. gco212 macrumors 6502

Jul 21, 2004
    I'd like to know which "Philadelphians have nicknamed their city "New York's Sixth Borough." I live in Philadelphia, and have never heard anyone use that as a way to describe the city other than this article, which comes from New York. I love the fact that because we have 8,000 people commuting to New York that makes us the sixth borough. We have 1.5 million people in the city not counting the suburbs. That's about half of a percentage point of the city's population going to New York, not really that big a deal.
  6. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    Uh, I don't think that anything in Pennsylvania can equal anything in new york...
  7. agentmouthwash macrumors regular

Aug 15, 2003
    I live in NYC and when to Philly recently and really thought it was a nice city. But it can't be "New York's Sixth Borough" that belongs to Long Island which has a population of 2.8 Million, not including Queens & Brooklyn. Anyways,
    Philly is a cool city.
  8. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    8000 people commuting to NYC is nothing.

Bergen County, NJ has 75,000 commuters going into NYC's 5 burroughs daily. I will be one of them for the next couple of weeks for a freelance job.

Philly has a character and attitude different than NYC and I'm sure no one wants to change that.