New2012 iMac and FCPX & motion 5

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tictaktwonk101, Dec 6, 2012.

1. tictaktwonk101, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012

macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.

What would be the minimum spec imac that would run FCPX or motion 5 with out any issues looking to get one but I don't have a load of money so I need to make the right choice.

At this time I have a 13" Mbp 2010 which runs it but it does struggle when I add multiple effects. Also motion 5 is a real struggle.

Any good input would really help.

Also what BTO options would have the most effect CPU, gpu or ram would a fusion drive be something to think or would it be pointless?

Sorry about all the questions.:confused:

2. macrumors member

In my opinion the gpu is a big part as it allows smooth play back and so does the cpu if its a i7 has it has hyper threading which allows 2 things to be ran on 1 core so a quad core is basically a virtual 8 core machine the fusion drive is pointless to me as it costs alot more when you can always use the thunderbolt to attach a external flash drive making that pretty fast. and the ram is kinda a big deal but for rendering not much else but if i was you cpu and gpu avoid macbook pros if you can stay in one place purchase a imac. But if you really need to move around buy one.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

What about ram would 16g in a 21" be enough or would being able to upgrade to 32g in a 27" be better?

4. macrumors member

blendermf

16 GB is enough at least in my experience. More RAM never hurts though, but you'll be paying the extra price of upgrading to a 27", and whatever it costs for the ram (if you do that, buy it externally, because it's way cheaper)