New2Mac need software help for Flac and DVD burning

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alligator22, Oct 8, 2006.

1. alligator22 macrumors newbie

Sep 27, 2006
    I just converted from windows to an iMac 24". I download a lot of music and videos that I burn to cd and dvd. I used to use a little program called Burrrn! that would burn flac files straight to cd and also had replay gain which I loved. As for dvd burning I was using ConvertXtoDVD which I had great results with. Are there any comparable OSX applications out there? I started trying to use Max for converting flac files but so far it seems to be a large pain in the ass. I don't even know where to start with burning dvds. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to run Windows on this new machine. Please tell me I don't have to. Thanks!
  2. motulist macrumors 68040

Dec 2, 2003
    When you say it would "burn flac files straight to cd," do you just mean a computer readable data cd, or do you mean it burned a vcd that you could play in your dvd player? And what do you mean by "replay gain?"

I'm not sure exactly what objectives you're trying to achieve, try to clarify exactly what abilities you are looking to have.

Since I don't understand exactly what it is you want to do, here are some general programs in the neighborhood of what you're talking about.

VLC - plays almost any media in existence - free
    VisualHub - automatic video format converter - pay
    HandBrake - convert dvd to computer format video file - free
    ffmpegX - powerful and advanced video converter - shareware
    Firestarter FX - my favorite cd burning app - free
    Toast Titanium - cd and dvd buring app - pay

Read through the beginners guide and it should answer the majority of your questions.'s_Guide

Here's the dvd copying section's_Guide#DVD.2FCD_copying_and_burning
  3. alligator22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 27, 2006
    Thanks. As for burning flac files directly to disc... they are compressed audio files that usually need to be converted to wave before they can be burned to disc. Burrrn! converted them and burned them without creating separate wave files that you have to go back and delete. And replay gain helped level out the volume of tracks from different sources. Handy little program. I'll check out those links. Thanks again.
  4. acidity macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2006
    Even I am a new convert from Windows and was looking for goog CD/DVD burnder like Nero which I used to use back then.

Nero software used to come free with my media hardware but there dosnt seem to be one like that given by Apple (I might be mistaken too).

Just checked FireStarter and it seems it will do the job for CD writing but does it also write DVDs? If not then what do you suggest as the best option to write data dvds???