Newark Airport Duty free??

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JW8725, Apr 2, 2007.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Hi I'm flying in from Europe, I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with the duty free there?

I specifically want to purchase a few Nintendo DS's for my family. Do they do electricals and if so, are they really duty free because in England they mark up the prices in the airports badly and claim no VAT...etc. pretty poor really.

2. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

3. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The duty-free shops at EWR (Terminal C, anyway) are liquor, cigs, & perfume mostly. Never saw any electronics. Need your boarding pass, usually, to verify your international traveler status.

5. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Are duty free shops selling electronics a common thing? I don't think i've seen electronics in a duty free shop anywhere.

That said, there may well be a different, non duty-free shop somewhere in the terminal that does sell electronics. I don't know what sales tax is in Newark, but I would imagine it's around 7% give or take a few points, which is much less than your VAT in the UK. Plus, that murderous exchange rate!

6. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dubai International mate! Electronics mecca!! Simply the best prices I've seen anywhere.

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

so then i'll have to go to dubai to make my next purchase for batteries. I've always wanted to see the indoor ski thing and that hotel that looks like sail (something Arab) ;)

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If the majority of flights from a US airport are usually internal, there's generally a pretty poor duty-free section compared to those in Brits and Europeans are used to. I seem to recall in Washington that the duty free shop only opened for an hour just before the flight departed - and was closed aside from that.

Whereas in Britain and many European countries, you can buy as you go through customs and pick up on your way home if you're buying anything bulky. It's probably the cheapest place in the UK to pick up a new Macbook or iPod if you're at an airport with a decent shop selection - 17.5% off it.

9. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

State sales tax in NJ is 7%, but I think that Newark and Elizabeth (the two towns that the airport is in) are both 3% urban development zones. Not sure how that applies to the airport.

rossoUK: not sure about the electronics in the duty-free shop. I haven't seen them either, but then again, I've not really been looking very hard the times I've been in terminal C, the international terminal. Enjoy your trip!

10. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

Actually it is 3.5% (excluding clothing which is 0%) - it used to be 3% until that joke of a new Governor came into town.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What do you mean by "anywhere"? I've seen them in a large number of countries.