Newb Airport and School network question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by irishvic, Sep 24, 2004.

1. irishvic macrumors member

Just got a new ibook and and airport extremo card to go with it. I have my cable at home networked but thru chord not wireless. I want to use my ibook at school, so how do i go about doing this. Is it a plug and play type deal?

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Okay, if I understand this correctly, you want to use your iBook both at home and at school. At home you are connected via an ethernet cable to your cable modem (or router), and you are wondering if you can simply hook up via wireless at school.

Sound about right?

If so, then yes, it is relatively plug-and-play in that if your school has a wireless setup, you should be able to detect and connect to it from your iBook, barring any issues with MAC address filtering or not knowing an unpublished wireless network name.

You just need to make sure that you have enabled Airport in at least one Location in your Network Preferences and that Airport is on. You may need to check with your school for details on the connection.

3. irishvic thread starter macrumors member

by airport do u mean base station or just the extreme card because i think my school is configured vie linksy

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

You really need to get the specifics regarding your school network. Many networks require some sort of authentication before you can use them - it may or may not be password-protected wireless itself, or it may be authentication against a user account established with the school, etc.

In our department we do the latter. We don't use any wireless authentication or encryption; but any Web address you try to visit will be redirected to a page that requires you to log in with your departmental computing account.

5. irishvic thread starter macrumors member

im not sure if its cus i use gAyOL but i cant connect with my airport card anywhere because i havent set up my aol account on my ibook. is aol the real problem here because i cant get my thing to work anywhere, like these places have wireless cus everyone around me is ont hese networks but my stuff wont work connect nada, it doesnt even recognize any networks around me

6. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Ok first, try not to use phrases like "gAyOL" here, it sounds childish and some members may take offense to it.

Now on to your question about your network issue. At my school, in my dorm room I connect to the internet using the ethernet plug up. It's faster than wireless and it doesn't phase out (unless someone screws the network up...different story).

When I go to class though, I connect using my Airport card to the wireless network. If you have not set your wireless card up yet, then you will have problems and need to get help for that first. For now though we will assume that yes you have set it up.

Now when I log onto the wireless network, all I do is enable my airport card and it connects automatically (assuming there is a signal). After that, I am on the campus network. I can share music on iTunes, get on Rendevous and thats about it. When I open a web browser the first page that usually comes up is an authentication page. It asks me for my email username and password. After that I have access to the internet from the wireless. It stays connected as long as I haven't disconnected for more than 5 minutes (aka closing the lid for a period of time).

Now do you know yet how your school's wireless setup is? That is the first step to figuring this out. What school do you go to?

Mike

7. kilpajr macrumors regular

My school also automatically redirects to an authentication page. However, web surfing is the only thing we are allowed to do logging in like this. We have to use a VPN client to do anything else. Maybe you need a VPN client. Call your IT department and ask them what you need to connect to the network.

8. irishvic thread starter macrumors member

"When I go to class though, I connect using my Airport card to the wireless network. If you have not set your wireless card up yet, then you will have problems and need to get help for that first. For now though we will assume that yes you have set it up."

ok i dont think i have it set up right to begin with. Also with AOL I can not just open up a webpage i have to be signed onto the service to be able to access the internet, therefore I can not get to my schools authentication website unless I am signed on and I cant sign on if I dont have an internet signal. LOL sorry guys if im not making any of this clearer, my head is still killing me from trying to figure out anything. And I can't set up AOL because I have yet to find a signal for my airport card. UGH

9. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

If you are at school...why do you need AOL?

Mike

10. irishvic thread starter macrumors member

so at school i dont need to use aol as my isp?

11. iSuck macrumors member

iSuck

Go to ur schools IP Department, they'll set you up

12. irishvic thread starter macrumors member