Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starlights

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2011
Hi Everyone.
I am a new user here and new to the Apple World. For the longest time I have been a PC user, but finally decided to give Macs a shot with the New MBA 13.

I picked up the MBA 13 / 128 / 4GB and thus far, i love it (Though it sure takes getting used to a different OS and system :) )

My question to all the power users is, how do i make sure that my SSD stays clean and junk free. I dont save any data onto the MBA - for that i use multiple 16 GB SD cards - but even then i notice that my SSD space has gone lower by about 2 GB in last one month (I mostly use MBA for browsing and other light tasks so far) - I think it may be due to temp internet files and temp download files etc - but i cant say for sure....

I have no idea on how to clean the SSD and remove the junk - any help from you guys would be highly appreciated.

MacsAreBetter\

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
Well firstly, a great way to free up space is to use a program called 'MonoLingual' which removes unwanted languages and old binaries. This should rid of about 3GB.

Then there's a program called Onyx. Use that to clean out your caches etc.

Hope this helps, 128gb is really hard to manage efficiently!

mariocapo

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2009
Las Vegas
I have 128 as well. One piece of advice I could give which I use is to get a small light USB powered portable hard drive. I keep my media, photos, and soon to be songs on there. Everything else goes on the SSD, but I keep most of my big data home on the iMac and several externals. It works beautifully so far. And I second Monolingual to clear up a bit of space that is occupied by unnecessary garbage.

If you are talking more along the lines of like Trim type support for keeping the SSD speedy then your guess is as good as mine. I hear OS X doesn't junk up SSD's too bad where performance degrades noticeably but I can't confirm that.

Starlights

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2011
Thanks Guys - your replies are definitely helpful - thanks for the tips on those tools - I will look those up.

For the photos, music etc i have a self built i7 Win 7 Desktop with over 3TB HDD + 12 GB Ram - so storage / space management in that sense is'nt a problem.
Like in windows, i am worried about the junk temp files (I am not sure if Mac creates those...) - In the PC world i am pretty well versed but Mac i know nada...

Also since i have SSD - i "AM" worried about undesirable junk files slowing down the MBA over time..... yes - the TRIM type support - also I hear that its not a good idea to defrag SSDs.

Hopefully more of you will drop in tips to help a newb start off :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.