Newb Starter

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by racebit, Nov 21, 2006.

1. racebit macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    I am fairly new to macs. As in, I have only one mac, a 1990 mac classic, and earlier today I purchased a mac book (c2d, 2ghz, 1gbram, 80gb). It's due here in a week and I'm excited as can be. Is there anything the veterans of macintosh would like to share with me, as this will be my first plunge into anything mac newer than os8. Any suggestions, comments, etc, would be greatly appreciated. I am a software engineer (delphi 2006, vb, c+,#,++) for the windows api (bleh). so I'm not computer illiterate, feel free to geekspeak.
    Thanks!

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Since you're an experienced Windows person be prepared to unlearn old habits. I always recommend David Pogue's Switching to the Mac: Tiger Edition to people such as yourself. Explore the programs that come with the machine, don't add Boot Camp or system hacks to your computer until you understand the philosophy of OSX or you absolutely need a program that does not have a Mac equivalent.

Ask questions and have fun. Best wishes

3. racebit thread starter macrumors newbie

Will definitely look into that book. I will probably use boot camp or grub though because I need to have ubuntu or win for non-osx specific work.
    Thanks!:cool: