newb with newb question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nownot, Mar 23, 2007.

1. nownot macrumors regular

i was reading the post here and read that fcp doesnt like mp3 audio. my question is how to i strip the audio from a source and encode it to something else. and what to encode it to? thanks.
    p.s. if anyone knows any good fcp sites for the basics i would appreciate it.

2. sturigdson macrumors regular

there are a couple different formats that FCP can take, but the best choice is to put straight AIFF files in there. AIFFs are uncompressed files, basically straight from CD.

You need to convert your mp3s to AIFFs. There are several programs that will do this, but it's not too hard to convert mp3s to AIFFs right within iTunes. You have to be pretty aware of what itunes is doing to find the AIFFs.
    Here's how you do it:

1. open iTunes> Preferences
    2. go to "Advanced", then click the "Importing" button in the Advanced selector
    3. change the "Import Using:" pulldown to "AIFF", close Preferences.
      It's important to know what this is doing: It is changing ALL of your iTunes conversion methods to make AIFFs- that means that when we convert a file, it'll make an AIFF, but it also means that when we import or rip tracks from a CD, it'll make AIFFs, which will be huge. So: you need to change this back to mp3, or aac, or whatever you're using when you're done converting and want to rip CDs again
    4. Now Select the track in iTunes
    5. Either: ctrl-click the track in itunes and select "Convert selection to AIFF" or click the Advanced menu and select "Convert selection to AIFF"
    6. Find your newly made file in your iTunes music folder
    7. import the AIFF into FCP for editing

It seems like this is a long process, but once you figure it out, it takes no time.
    Edit: It's also important to know that iTunes won't convert tracks that have DRM, such as anything bought from the iTunes music store- you have to find alternative tracks or alternative conversion software.

To answer your second question, for the basics within FCP, the FCP help file and pdf manuals are really good, and searchable. Check them out.

You can also check out the LA FCP user group site:
    http://www.lafcpug.org/

3. nownot thread starter macrumors regular

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

i would do this in quicktime... so that when you export, you can specify 48khz instead of 44.1khz. 48khz is the standard you'd be working with in FCP.

5. nownot thread starter macrumors regular

one more question. if i have a divx video or another format with the audio and video linked do i need to strip the audio and convert it? or will it be fine the way it is. thanks

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

if you plan on editing the video, then i would convert the whole thing to NTSC DV format before taking it into Final Cut.