Newbie, 15" PB...a few questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Undecided, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Undecided macrumors 6502a

Mar 4, 2005
    So, I went out and bought a new 15" combo powerbook yesterday. A couple of comments and questions:

- so far, so good
    - the extra real estate, compared to my 12" PC, is really nice.
    - I'm selling the PC laptop, but keeping a cheap, headless desktop PC as a server and insurance. MS's remote desktop works pretty well.

The optical drive is noisy. So was the one in my Sony laptop, but this kicks it up a notch. Plus, as someone mentioned, when you wake it up, it makes a helluva sound.

My wireless network requires a 128 bit wep key (26 hex characters) and the SSID is hidden. So, it seems like I have to type in the ssid and key every time I want to connect, which is a real hassle. That can't be right. What am I doing wrong?

I have 100 logins and passwords. I stored them in an encrypted file on my PC, and I want to import them into the keychain. I can export a table but what formats does the keychain import?

2. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2001
  3. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2004
    Avon, IN
    This is nothing to be worried about. My powerbook's optical drive gets VERY loud at times as well. It is actually more loud than my Rev. C powerbook was. As long as the drive keeps working I don't mind much since I don't use the optical drive all that often. When I am playing a movie or something like that it is not as loud and that would really be the only time I would get really bothered by it.

When I wake mine up, I can hear the optical drive spin up for a second and that is fairly loud as well. It is nothing to worry about since pretty much every AlBook I have used does this same thing. Enjoy the new powerbook! You will love it :D