Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
California
So, I went out and bought a new 15" combo powerbook yesterday. A couple of comments and questions:

- so far, so good
- the extra real estate, compared to my 12" PC, is really nice.
- I'm selling the PC laptop, but keeping a cheap, headless desktop PC as a server and insurance. MS's remote desktop works pretty well.

The optical drive is noisy. So was the one in my Sony laptop, but this kicks it up a notch. Plus, as someone mentioned, when you wake it up, it makes a helluva sound.

My wireless network requires a 128 bit wep key (26 hex characters) and the SSID is hidden. So, it seems like I have to type in the ssid and key every time I want to connect, which is a real hassle. That can't be right. What am I doing wrong?

I have 100 logins and passwords. I stored them in an encrypted file on my PC, and I want to import them into the keychain. I can export a table but what formats does the keychain import?

Thanks!

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Undecided said:
The optical drive is noisy. So was the one in my Sony laptop, but this kicks it up a notch. Plus, as someone mentioned, when you wake it up, it makes a helluva sound.

This is nothing to be worried about. My powerbook's optical drive gets VERY loud at times as well. It is actually more loud than my Rev. C powerbook was. As long as the drive keeps working I don't mind much since I don't use the optical drive all that often. When I am playing a movie or something like that it is not as loud and that would really be the only time I would get really bothered by it.

When I wake mine up, I can hear the optical drive spin up for a second and that is fairly loud as well. It is nothing to worry about since pretty much every AlBook I have used does this same thing. Enjoy the new powerbook! You will love it :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.