newbie 1gb ram questions

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ted94709, Sep 4, 2004.

1. ted94709 macrumors newbie

May 18, 2004
    Hi, I was considering upgrading to a 1 gb stick of ram in my pb 12" rev. b. The ram i was specifically looking at was by kingmax at newegg (or perhaps also the sticks from owc). I have a few questions for those who have experience with it.

1. Does the 1 gb stick make the pb run much hotter? (its about 80 degrees here and the fan is almost always on when i do web browsing/itunes/adium).
    2. Is it not a wise choice to buy stacked ram due to electrical/heat reasons?
    3. Apple recommends "low power" ram, is this really even an issue to keep in consideration?
    4. Is kingmax (not kingston) a reputable company?

Thanks for all your help, I'm deciding between a 512 stick or going all the way for 1gb.

pb 12" rev b 1 ghz/512 ram/10.3.5/40 gb hd
  2. friarbayliff macrumors regular

Jul 20, 2004
    MN / IN
    I'm pretty sure that the increase in temperature would be negligible.
  3. continuum macrumors 6502

Aug 22, 2004
    Beautiful Lake Tahoe
    i bought crucial ram for my G5 a few days ago and it was competitively priced and has a good name.
  4. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2004
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I purchased a 512 stick of RAM for my PB from crucial (brought it up to 1gig), and I havnt noticed any difference in heat, like friarbay said, if there is a differenct, it will be very neglectable.
  5. cwtnospam macrumors regular

Sep 4, 2004
    Stacked RAM

Stacked RAM will use more power and generate more heat, so if you're already worried about heat and/or battery life, definitely avoid it.