newbie 1gb ram questions

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ted94709, Sep 4, 2004.

1. ted94709 macrumors newbie

Hi, I was considering upgrading to a 1 gb stick of ram in my pb 12" rev. b. The ram i was specifically looking at was by kingmax at newegg (or perhaps also the sticks from owc). I have a few questions for those who have experience with it.

1. Does the 1 gb stick make the pb run much hotter? (its about 80 degrees here and the fan is almost always on when i do web browsing/itunes/adium).
    2. Is it not a wise choice to buy stacked ram due to electrical/heat reasons?
    3. Apple recommends "low power" ram, is this really even an issue to keep in consideration?
    4. Is kingmax (not kingston) a reputable company?

Thanks for all your help, I'm deciding between a 512 stick or going all the way for 1gb.

pb 12" rev b 1 ghz/512 ram/10.3.5/40 gb hd

2. friarbayliff macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure that the increase in temperature would be negligible.

3. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

i bought crucial ram for my G5 a few days ago and it was competitively priced and has a good name.

4. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I purchased a 512 stick of RAM for my PB from crucial (brought it up to 1gig), and I havnt noticed any difference in heat, like friarbay said, if there is a differenct, it will be very neglectable.

5. cwtnospam macrumors regular

Stacked RAM

Stacked RAM will use more power and generate more heat, so if you're already worried about heat and/or battery life, definitely avoid it.