Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iWoz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
East Midlands, U.K
Hi Guys,

Im considering dulging into the iPhone app development jungle. I am a complete newbie in programming/developing. I currently work full time in I.T in 1st/2nd support in a windows environment. However I've purchased an iMac 27' i5 and I really want to challenge myself and learn developing apps etc.

Just wondering what advice anyone can give? I have read the sticky thread on FAQ, however I just wanted to see if anyone could provide any additional info that I might find useful? I guess I could start with reading a beginners guide/book. Can you recommend any? Or has anyone else started like me without a degree in programming or learning any coding.

Thanks in Advance

icewing

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
St Louis
Not trying to be short with you, but there have been many similar threads posted here. Try "Search this forum" button and do searches for Books, newbie, etc. There's a ton of them.

Welcome to the party!

newb16

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2008
Hi Guys,

Im considering dulging into the iPhone app development jungle. I am a complete newbie in programming/developing. I currently work full time in I.T in 1st/2nd support in a windows environment. However I've purchased an iMac 27' i5 and I really want to challenge myself and learn developing apps etc.
Having a great (expensive) gear (rig) won't make you good programmer automatically and won't greatly facilitate the learning process.

Just wondering what advice anyone can give?
Thanks in Advance

Not to learn language, algorithms and framework all at once unless you have to.

iWoz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
East Midlands, U.K
Not trying to be short with you, but there have been many similar threads posted here. Try "Search this forum" button and do searches for Books, newbie, etc. There's a ton of them.

Welcome to the party!

ok thanks! I've read through the tutorial etc.. I was just at works, going to some thread searching.:eek:

ste1989

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
iWoz87 im in the same position as you.
I don't know any programming languages at all.
In the past I have searched here, but it seems like a lot of people suggest buying books and things.

However I am always looking for a simple online tutorial that will help me learn whatever language I need (c probably?).

Hopefully someone who reads this thread will know one, because in the previous threads, it seems everyone has different opinions on where to start or what to learn

iWoz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
East Midlands, U.K
Having a great (expensive) gear (rig) won't make you good programmer automatically and won't greatly facilitate the learning process.

Not to learn language, algorithms and framework all at once unless you have to.

Not saying it will, It's just given me some inspiration :)

I think Im gonna purchase the c# programming book suggested in one of the stickies and take it from there...

newb16

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2008
I think Im gonna purchase the c# programming book suggested in one of the stickies and take it from there...

Wait, c# is mostly associated with Microsoft platform and toolchain (*). Do you mean C or Objective-C ?

(*)Yes, I know, there is Mono.

ste1989

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
i ended up downloading the Learn C on the Mac book.

I am following it fine, and am up to variables section, only about page 50 out of 300 :eek:

so far it only seems to have covered main() printf() and maybe one or two other things.
So far so good :)

Im guessing it must get much more difficult, or does it only get difficult when you move to objective-c/cocoa ?

How long do you think it would take using books like this to learn enough to be able to make a VERY basic app with something other than a string of text outputted :p like a few clickable buttons etc ?

iWoz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
East Midlands, U.K
i ended up downloading the Learn C on the Mac book.

I am following it fine, and am up to variables section, only about page 50 out of 300 :eek:

so far it only seems to have covered main() printf() and maybe one or two other things.
So far so good :)

Im guessing it must get much more difficult, or does it only get difficult when you move to objective-c/cocoa ?

How long do you think it would take using books like this to learn enough to be able to make a VERY basic app with something other than a string of text outputted :p like a few clickable buttons etc ?

Ste, I sent you a PM mate!

iWoz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
East Midlands, U.K
Wait, c# is mostly associated with Microsoft platform and toolchain (*). Do you mean C or Objective-C ?

(*)Yes, I know, there is Mono.

I've just ordered this book "The C programming language / Brian W. Kernighan, Dennis M. Ritchie . - 2nd ed "

So hopefully this will get me going :)

icewing

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
St Louis
You've got several learning curves in front of you:
1. Learning the basics of C. The book you bought should be a great start.
2. Learning the Cocoa framework for Mac/iPhone - these are frameworks that are built and communicate with the OS to make your life easier and give you lots of pre-built stuff that you use on a regular basis (think windows and buttons for the OS)
3. Learning the SDK - XCode and Interface builder
4. Learning how to develop specifically for the iPhone - there are things available for the Mac that aren't available on the iPhone, and you need to learn how to do some iPhone specific things.

I'm sure others can explain better than I have and can point out some other things as well.

My background is 25 years as a programmer on IBM midrange machines (iSeries/AS400) in languages called RPG and CL. I've played around in the past with C and Java.

For me, I bought Beginning iPhone 3 Programming, and Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X. There are lots of other good books available - may I also suggest that you visit a large bookstore like Barnes & Noble, and look through several books to determine which ones might be helpful for you.

They might be good additions for you. The examples in the iPhone programming book have helped me start getting a handle on things. I'm at the point now where I've moved from just doing the examples in the book to starting to try to write my own apps. I do have to refer to the C books sometimes to review some basics.

Reading the postings in this forum, and googling others, as well as Apple's documentation are key to understanding and going beyond the examples in the books.

This can be both a frustrating and rewarding experience - so get ready for "drinking from a firehose". Good luck!

tutukun

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2009
i think its more important to learn the fundamentals of programming + OOP. Once you understand the ideas then learn to work with new language is easy. So read thro your C book, once you feel comfortable with C , grap some book about OOP.

The learning process can be difficult, but its always good to learn something new.
:)

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley

If you learn the hard parts of C, plus get a good understanding of some OOP language concepts, then moving to Objective C will make it easier, not more difficult.

IMHO.

iWoz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
East Midlands, U.K
Thanks everyone for the feedback,

Just to confirm the correct path of study..

What would you suggest as a next stage of study after the C programming book. I'd like to do this in order to avoid jumping any basic steps.

ste1989

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
firewood said:
get a good understanding of some OOP language concepts

what would you class as a good understanding of OOP language concepts ? and what are OOP language concepts ?

By google, i found out OOP is object orientated programming, but I dunno what you mean by learn the concepts ?
Surely when I learn Obj-c I would learn them ?

skunkworker

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
what would you class as a good understanding of OOP language concepts ? and what are OOP language concepts ?

By google, i found out OOP is object orientated programming, but I dunno what you mean by learn the concepts ?
Surely when I learn Obj-c I would learn them ?

I would heavily recommend learn them first conceptually then move onto objc

ste1989

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
what is "them" though ?
the concepts ?
where would I find info about that?
surely it isnt another book just on the concepts

ste1989

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
hey again, how long do you guys think I should spend learning C until I learn obj-C or iphone developement books etc.

How long did you spend learning C
As soon as I finish the book "Learn C on the Mac" should I move on, or will I need to keep experimenting for a while to get completely sure of all of C before I move on.

So far I have only learnt about :
main, printf, int variables, and a lot of other simple stuff, Im currently reading over boolean logic.

is there loads more I need to know before obj-c or iphone/mac etc development

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
hey again, how long do you guys think I should spend learning C until I learn obj-C or iphone developement books etc.

As soon as I finish the book "Learn C on the Mac" should I move on, or will I need to keep experimenting for a while to get completely sure of all of C before I move on.

main, printf, int variables, and a lot of other simple stuff, Im currently reading over boolean logic.

I would suggest the book that dejo recommended, it doesn't assume that you know C at all, and since you will be dealing with object oriented programming its going to be a different ballgame anyways when you get ready to go to iphone development.

As for if there is loads more you need to know... YES.

ste1989

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
ok then, complete change of plan, I have now got the programming in objective-c book

so maybe the C i have learnt so far will help me understand it better, maybe it will have been uesless learning it :p
but now im gonna try and learn obj c

tutukun

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2009

Answer is: as long n as much time as it takes
you sound very eager to jump right into the action. Thats good but it takes alot of time and efforts before you can actually make something that others want to use. So dont think about making anything yet, take it slow, learn n understand everything throughout. You will start making stuff before you nkow it.

uaecasher

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2009
Stillwater, OK
Objective-C, Cocoa, xCode explained this is a short discription of what each or these terms are, I think most people new to programming would be mixed up especially when there are books only for Cocoa or xCode.

the book that I recommend is "Programming in Objective-C 2.0" it does NOT assume you have ANY background on programming, it only teaches you the parts of C that you need, it also teaches you simple iPhone SDK.

tips for learning: be patient, you don't have to memorize things such as the deferent ways to call deferent types of data, with these things you can always go back and check it out from the internet or the book (your not in an exam lol).

The most important thing is to do the examples, play around with them, change values and if you have a problem look it up.

Hope this helps.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley

You've barely started. You will find knowing C control flow, functions, pointers and data structures will help Objective C not appear to be just opaque random magic.

ste1989

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
You've barely started. You will find knowing C control flow, functions, pointers and data structures will help Objective C not appear to be just opaque random magic.

Hmm constrasting opinions,
some say not to learn C, just learn Objective-C from scratch.
others say first learn C, and learn Objective-C afterwards

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.