Newbie Airport - Windows Network Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Matt01792, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Matt01792 macrumors member

Hi everyone!

I'm a student who's just about scraping enough money together to buy myself a nice 12'' iBook G4 and make the switch from M$ to Mac! :D

Ok, basically I have two windows computers in the house which are networked but when I get my iBook I want to be able to connect it to the network wirelessly.

Would this setup work?

If I put this into the host windows computer and an Airport Extreme card into my iBook would it work? Would they see each other and would I be able to connect to the 'net via my iBook (yes Internet Sharing is enabled btw).

I know one is 102.11b and the other's 102.11g but I'll only be using it for the internet.

I'd really appreciate it if someone would answer my question.

Thanks so much,
    Matt.

2. nick_lloyd78 macrumors newbie

Re: Wireless connection

Hi,

Not sure if anyone will check the message cause it's a little old, but anyway.

A word of caution. I was a Windows user that switched to the Mac when OS 9.1 was around. And believe me (I love my Mac and all) but my school was just totally setup for non-Mac users! Heaps of trouble to say the least. SO make sure switching is the best option! Having OS X with extra Windows file sharing features has made my day and my schooling a lot easier!!

Yes, the wireless network should all work. Just make sure that the wireless connector you are getting in your Windows machine will communicate with the Base station.

Call a vendor to be safe!

3. straphound macrumors member

Wireless

This should work fine. I have a SMC 802.11b access point that works fine with my PC's and my Powerbook. I have file sharing enabled on my file server (Windows 2K Server) and when I boot up my Mac, I just press command K (or go to go, connect to server in the finder) and it finds my Windows shared drives. I just type in my Windows login and PW and they mount via Samba (name?) on my desktop. I can pull my files back and forth without issue. If you are using WEP security on your access point, the first time OS X will ask you for your PW when you the enable the wireless connection (ASCII or hex). Just type it in, add it to keychain, you are done!