Newbie and upgrades

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by celtictricky, May 2, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I have just got my G3 900Mhz Ibook, and as a pc user I am still getting to grips with the Apple world :) Anyway, long and short is, I want to upgrade the stock hard drive, and also the CD drive to ideally a DVDRW - I am in the UK, does anybody know of where I can do this???? Also is there anything special about the HD I should know about, ie, can I simply drop in a 80Gb HD, and boot of the OS X disks to re-install etc???

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Rich

2. macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Wait!

The hard drive is not a "consumer installable" piece. It will void your warranty. The Apple Store Techs would be glad to do it for you. The G3 iBook has a tray loading drive, right? While you're at the store, ask them if you can install that. I haven't installed an internal drive before, but I have installed an external one. Use Disk Utility to format it. They'll probably do that at the store for you though.

Good Luck,
    JOD8FY

3. macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Do you have a warranty? Kiss it good-bye.

Others can comment in detail about what you want to do, but it isn't a trivial exercise.

4. 7on
    macrumors 601

7on

Best bet is if you have a warrenty buy the compatible drives and take them to the Apple Store and have them installed for free. Do those iBooks have a fan? If not that might be the reason if they won't install it. Anyhoo, http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ should have the correct upgrades you can do on your iBook.

EDIT:
    I already did the DVD-RW search and this is the only one I found

5. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

The HD must be replaced/upgraded by an Apple tech, otherwise you will void your warranty, find an independent Apple store, they will know a good drive to put in. As for DVDR in the iBook I know of one company who puts superdrives in the G3 iBooks they are MCE, http://www.mcetech.com they will put a drive in that will not void your warranty, it costs $379 to do.

6. macrumors member

Whoa, screw that :eek:

Do it yourself and have your old one on hand so you can just switch it back when you need to take it in for a problem.

No one else does this :confused:

7. macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Not as easy as it sounds. You don't just pop the back off the computer and swap the drives. You strip it down into a hundred pieces. If you do successfully swap the drives, and then have a problem later and put back your original drives it will be obvious to the tech that you've opened the computer. Warranty void.

Don't do this on a computer that is under warranty. Even if it's out of warranty it's not usually a wise choice when you consider the cost of the replacement parts and the difficulty of doing the job--plus the slim but still very real possibility that you will break something and have a paper weight.

When your laptop gets old and you find it doesn't have the power or capacity to do what you want it to do anymore I think you're better off selling it. Macs--even older ones--retain their value extemely well. So take the proceeds of your sale and add the money you would have spent on the upgrades, and I'll bet you're within a couple hundred bucks of a new Mac that will do what you want it to do. At worst you'd be in the neighborhood of a used, but still decently powerful, Mac that will do what you want it to do.