Newbie Dual OS question, OS 9 and X

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by EvilHorace, Jan 21, 2003.

1. EvilHorace macrumors newbie

Forgive my Mac ignorance here but I'm an old Windows PC guy who just bought a used G4 desktop that's suppose to have both OS9 and the latest OS X OSs installed. It arrived yesterday and when it boots up, all I'm seeing is a screen saying it's running OS 9. All the files seen in the Hdd say OS 9. I'm not seeing anything mentioning OS X (Jaguar) but shouldn't I if it WAS installed as the seller said he did? (no discs included either btw).

I'm use to seeing dual boot OSs in Windows based PCs where upon boot up, you'll get a DOS screen with choices for which OS you wish to choose before it goes into the latest default OS automatically. Either Macs aren't anything like that (never used one before) or OS X wasn't installed afterall.

Any info, opinions on this?

2. Mighty Mac macrumors member

Might be ok

If you are in OS 9. click on the apple menu in the upper left hand corner of the screen. go to the control panels, this should list them to the left (like windos start button) look for a control panel called Startup disk. this will show you all bootable OSes on your drive. it should list them from left to right OS 9 then OS X.
    I may have the incorect name of the control panel it has been a long time. but I believe I am close this should link to apples support page on switching between the two. if you do not see OS X as an option then it is not there.
    Hope this helps.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106667&SaveKCWindowURL=http%3A%2F%2Fkbase.info.apple.com%2Fcgi-bin%2FWebObjects%2Fkbase.woa%2Fwa%2FSaveKCToHomePage&searchMode=Assisted&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com&showButton=false&randomValue=100&showSurvey=false&sessionID=anonymous|162460866

3. EvilHorace thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, it does list both Mac OS 9.2.1 and Mac OS X 10.2 (build 6C115) so I gather it's installed then.
    Now, does one boot into OS X separately like Windows somehow or does it become one OS combined?

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Either, you can boot 9 as a separate system (beloved of legacy audio apps), but you can't then run OSX, or you can boot OSX and 9 then becomes an emulated OS called Classic, which launches when you run a non-OSX app.

Sadly, non of the audio or video apps run in this emulation, although a lot of things do.

Hope this helps

5. Mighty Mac macrumors member

Booting into X

From the control panel Choose the Folder that says OS X then click the restart button on the bottom right hand corner. ones in X choose "system pref." from the "Apple menu" and you will see a setting for classic. you can either run clasic from here / set it to turn on after os X boots / or leave it alone and OS 9 (classic ) will launch when nessisary.

View this articl on apples web based support site.
    TITLE
    How to Switch Between Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X
    Article ID: 106667
    Created: 1/18/02
    Modified: 12/19/02

6. EvilHorace thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it and it works in OS X too :)
    ......now, time to learn a new machine, new OSs

7. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

If you are a recent switcher, DON'T learn 9.

It is the equivalent of learning XP Pro, and then dual booting to Windows 3.1.

8. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Use 9 only if you REALLY need a certain app. Learn X. Buy books and learn how to use it well. That's what'll make you appreciate the OS. Most switchers I talk to don't know there's a right click (control+click) or how to rename a file.
    Once you get to know all the cool (and necessary) stuff, you'll be hooked!

9. EvilHorace thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

He is so right and if you dont need os 9 at all i would remove it totally. After i went to X i never looked back and dont even run classic. Its obsolete software unless you need it

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Very true, i wiped my HD when i installed Jag and forgot to install 9 first... but i have not missed it at all. Simcity runs in 9, but i have a laptop for that now... CivIII is out for X, as are all programs worth having (i'm talking to you, quark). So yeah, forget about 9 unless you absolutely need it later on. Whether or not you delete it is your choice...

:)
    pnw

12. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

oh and a very useful tip. Enter/REturn goes into a rename in finder (equiv:explorer). use Cmd-O to open something.

the Cmd, or command key is the one with the apples drawn on them.

hope it helps. please tell me if i aam going a too basic for tyou. this will ehlp us help you.

good luck. :)