Newbie Fan control fears

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by capoeirista, Jan 21, 2007.

1. capoeirista macrumors 6502

Jan 21, 2007
    Hi. I've been using my MacBook for about 3 months now. It is genius, and I shan't be going back to the other lot. However, I may have done something a bit stupid. Recently I've been spending a lot of time using MS Word. I got a bit fed up with the fans kicking in and the ensuing Jet take-off noise (you all know what I'm talking about). So I did a bit of a search and installed Fan Control 1.1. Wonderful, but then I worried that messing with the fan might void my applecare warranty (I'm a student and this was a BIG purchase for me). I therefore unintalled just as the FanControl web page said and restarted. I think it has permanently changed my fan settings as they are exactly the same as when it WAS installed (if you see what I mean). Is there more to it? Is there something else I should be doing? Do I need to stop worrying and go back to what I was doing? Any advice would be ace. Thanks all.
  2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Nov 13, 2003
    if you go into activity monitor check for something with the word fan in it(search) i think its fancontroldaemon if thats there then fancontrol was not properly uninstalled.
  3. capoeirista thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 21, 2007

Thanks Trainguy! I checked this and it doesn't seem to be there... I'm just concerned that I've permanently change the base rate/settings of the fan...
  4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Nov 13, 2003
    All that program did was tell the OS X fan control system too set the base fan speeds to what it thinks the minimum should be at. But when the program is not running OS X just takes over.
  5. alexvern macrumors newbie

Jan 22, 2007
    I have heard of other people who have had the same problems when uninstalling Fan Control 1.1. Here are the solutions I have come across:

1) Download the "Revert to Default" patch from the second post in this thread from Fan Control's support forum:;action=display;num=1162616243

*note - you will need to reinstall Fan Control first.

2) Reinstall Fan Control, set the program to the defaults and then uninstall the program again. (Base Speed = 1500, Lower threshold = 50, Upper threashold = 90)

My personal oppinion is that Fan Control is great and from what I gather from other posts regarding Fan Control the general opinion is that it will NOT void your warranty and even if it did for some reason you could always revert it to the default settings and then remove any trace of the program and apple wouldn't be the wiser.

One question for anyone else using Fan Control 1.1, what kind of settings are you using and how did you come to this setting? Here are mine (I got this reccomendation from another thread on this topic):

Base Speed: 2500
    Lower Threshold: 42 C
    Upper Threashold: 80 C

Computer: Macbook Core2Duo/2GB RAM/2.0GHz/80 GB Hard Drive
  6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Jun 21, 2006
    The fan control application will not void your warranty. If you uninstall it Apple has no way of telling that you used it. Your fans will spin at least as fast as they would had you not changed the settings. The only thing that can result from using a higher-than-standard fan speed is a shorter MTBF of the fans.