Newbie file format question +

Discussion in 'iMac' started by myc6toy, Jan 15, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have been reading these forums for the past few months and really enjoyed it. I am one of the newbies to Mac, making the big switch after many many years with DOS and Windows.

In reading many posts i have received a lot of good info and some conflicting opinions as well :confused:

I should receive my BTO system in a couple of days after 39 days of anticipation.

27” i5, 2.9GHz, 16Gig (+32?), 3TB Fusion, 2TB TC, and 3TB LaCie Porsche USB 3.0

I do have a couple of questions, and hopefully I picked the right spot for them.

I require complete / seamless integration of OS X and Windows platforms for file sharing, office files etc

I figure the best file format configuration would be:
    a) iMac 3TB – HFS+ (with Paragon for NTFS compatibility)
    b) 2TB TC – HFS+ {for time machine only}
    c) 3TB LaCie – NTFS {for cross platform use}
    d) NAS – NTFS {current windows back up drive}

Does this sound reasonable?

Also I would also like to run Win7 and 8 on my iMac either in virtual machine or try the two canoes work around and put boot camp on the 3TB Fusion.
    I am leaning towards virtual machine to run windows, but not sure if I should use Parallels or VM Ware Fusion?

Any thoughts ? ( I’m not a gamer but do dabble in ACAD etc)

Thanks in advance

My current network consists of:

1. Net Gear 6300 2.4/5 GHz Wi-Fi & Giga-Bit Router
    2. D-Link 8 port GB Switch
    3. D-Link NAS (500GB RAID 1)
    4. 3 iPads (2x3, 1x mini)
    5. 3 iPhones (1x4, 2x4S)
    6. 5 various Win XP & 7 (2 XP laptops for dedicated automation tasks)
    7. Power ware UPS’s

2. macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure I'd go with NTFS for your cross platform drive. What about using something like ExFAT? It's supported natively by OS X and doesn't have the limitations of the older FAT32.

Maybe it's just me, but I always worry slightly when using third party drivers to add file system write capability. It seems like a major potential source of file system hosing.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks joe-h2o

I will have to conform that all my legacy win machines can use ExFAT

4. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

ExFAT is supported in XP, so you should be fine.