Newbie Help! Is this keyboard the best for me?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by waynesun, Mar 2, 2007.

1. waynesun macrumors regular

Feb 25, 2006
    i went from graphics to digital audio!

i'm still adapting to this entirely new environment... i've been playing violin competitively for 9 years now, and decided i want to try something new.

But anyway, i'm shopping around for MIDI keyboards, and i want to start with a 49-key. The M-Audio Keystation 49e was the best one i could find for myself.

Does anyone else recommend something different near this price range? I am not a compulsive buyer, so i'd like to see if there are better products for a better deal before my purchase.
  2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Jun 3, 2006
    One Nation Under Gordon
    You play violin competitively? What do you do? Fence each other with your bows? Time each other playing Paganini? :p

The Keystation seems like a 'standard' to me - almost everyone offers it in a starter pack. I only prodded it a bit in a demo environment but it seems OK to me for casual music making. I ended up going for the Axiom 61.
  3. Lycanthrope macrumors 6502

Nov 1, 2005
    Brussels, Belgium, Europe
    I'm also asking the same question - seems to be a choice between the M-Audio 49E and the, erm, M-Audio 61ES which has some more keys and has a partial weighting. I think the latter is the better bet.

Axiom seems to have drum pads and suff so that's not interesting for me right now - I just want a decent basic midi keyboard.