Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smy168

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
so I'm a newbie and I'm trying to install my Canon SD300 Elph software on a recently acquired iBook G4. I have the software installed but everytime I connect the camera to the usb wire and the book, the camera shuts off. Can anyone walk me through this?

also...

is the .mac worth getting? I like the reviews on the email side but do I have to renew every year for this?

Thanks,
Steven

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
so I'm a newbie and I'm trying to install my Canon SD300 Elph software on a recently acquired iBook G4. I have the software installed but everytime I connect the camera to the usb wire and the book, the camera shuts off. Can anyone walk me through this?

also...

is the .mac worth getting? I like the reviews on the email side but do I have to renew every year for this?

Thanks,
Steven

At $99 per year .Mac is a very expensive web mail account. Yahoo and Googles gmail are free with almost unlimited space while .mac has only 1GB of space. Some people think it is worth it but I think 1GB of space for $99 per year is not worth it.

Could it be that the camera is shutting off due to some power saving setting? You should turn the camera off then conect the cable then turnthe camera on.

Also you liky do not really need the Canon software unles you really like it. iPhoto will import the files directly off the camera

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Do not install any third party camera utilities onto Macs. I don't even know why they continue to insist on shipping Mac software. iPhoto is far superior to anything the Camera companies offer.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Yep, essentially all you need to do is plug in the USB cable and then switch the camera on. After a couple of seconds, iPhoto will open and ask whether you want to import your pics. If this doesn't happen automatically, you can open iPhoto manually.

As for .Mac, there's a few other nice features that are (almost) worth the money, including the ability to easily create web pages of your photos and such. If you're intrigued, sign up for the 60 day free trial and give it a go.

Irish Dave

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
The Emerald Isle
Most software that comes with a camera is rubbish. As a previous "poster" said, connect your camera and turn it on, iPhoto will automatically start and ask you if you want to import your photos. Easy peasy ... job done.

dave:)

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
At $99 per year .Mac is a very expensive web mail account. Yahoo and Googles gmail are free with almost unlimited space while .mac has only 1GB of space. Some people think it is worth it but I think 1GB of space for $99 per year is not worth it.

For less than 99$ I have three domains with each 1GB of webspace and an unlimted number of emailadresses. .Mac is rather expensive unless you dont want to learn things like ftp and webdesign. I guess you don't pay for the 1GB of space but for the ease of use.

Neonguy

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2006
Hehe..don't get .Mac is you're planning to use it for email only. GMail and Yahoo offer a lot more storage then .Mac. .Mac look nicer, user friendly interface but are you willing to pay $99 for that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.